• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil Filter Full

I know this has been hit on before but could not find it. Anyway I changed my oil the other day and the filter was full to the top, when I started unscrewing it it started leaking out. It was never that full in the past with my other motor, it was always about 3/4. This is my second filter change sence I put eng. in so dont know this motor as well as the other eng. :think: Maybe thats a good thing :lmao2: If you knew my other motor you would get it. :lmao:

This is just from my own experience, I see them both ways on mine, If I pull the filter when it is still somewhat warm it is usually always full, If I pull the filter when cold they are most often down a bit. I find this same thing on most all engines I service.If the engine is hot I will drain the sump and let things cool for a while before pulling the filter and this is when I will always see the filter pulled down a bit, not sure if it syphons back due to the sump drain or not.

• Staff

I changed my oil twice on Saturday and both time the motor was hot at shutdown, and sat for about 30 minutes before I removed the filter. Both times the filter was about 1" down from the top. If you run the engine but don't get it to full operating temp I think the filter will stay full, but hot oil will drain back a little.

I have always seen the level in the filter I remove about 1" or slightly more below the threads. This is either a few minutes after shutting off (for a complete oil change) or cold (for just a filter change out). I thought this level was normal when there was no flow or pressure for these engines.

When changing your full flow oil filter; once you've broken the filter free and can turn it by hand, slide a plastic bag or zip-lock style bag if you want a "heavier" bag over the filter and then continue to unscrew it. The bag will catch any leaks and drips, and the filter will fall into the bag when off the threads.No drips down your arm or on your drive!!!

• Like 1

I changed my oil twice on Saturday and both time the motor was hot at shutdown, and sat for about 30 minutes before I removed the filter. Both times the filter was about 1" down from the top. If you run the engine but don't get it to full operating temp I think the filter will stay full, but hot oil will drain back a little.

I think your right, The eng. was hot earlier but it cooled down a little. I ran down the road to the store and when I got back I remember that it was not all the way to normal. It was about 170.

• Staff

From what I can tell with an aftermarket oil psi gauge the oil heats up much slower than the coolant, so it takes a few minutes with the coolant at operating temp to get oil fully hot. I can be at 170° coolant and still idling at 40-50 psi of oil, where normal warm idle pressure is 20-25.

• Like 2

• Staff

So I changed my oil again today, and while on a drive to get it hot I stopped about 2 minutes after the thermostat opened and checked idle pressure, it was 30. I then drove another 8 miles and stopped and idle pressure was 22.. so yes the oil does take longer to get warm than the coolant.