• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2002 2500

• Staff

how do you check for play in the steering?

Turn the key just till the steering wheel turns. Don't start the truck. Bring a mechanics creeper and look at all the steering linkages under the truck while your buddy moves the back wheel back and forth. Have him keep doing it till you've looked at all the ball joints and tie rod ends. Look at the upper trac bar bushing (bar that goes diagonal up to the frame). Look for anything loose. It only takes a little movement (loose connection) to make bad steering. Also look at the steering box shaft for movement inside the box. When your buddy moves the wheel tell him hard enough right to left, fast enough to help detect problems. Most important.... jack the front wheels off the ground and take a bar to lift the wheels up and down and look for loose movement Remove the air intake tube from air filter to the turbo and run a clean rag inside. Any dust showing on the rag and I would walk away. There shouldn't be any dust. Sorry about my 'Grampa' truck comment.... just wanted to give you a different perspective, different way of looking for a cream puff truck.

• Staff

My 78 year young grandpa has gauges, edge ez, propane injection, 4" exhaust, and raptor pump but he doesn't dog his truck at all. I have a lot more done to mine than he does and I don't run mine hard either, unless its hooked to a sled;)

Does he wanna sell it?:lmao::lmao2:

go look at it, and check out all the things the guys here talked about.If it's still whatcha want... flash him the cash. I'd start at 10k. He'll know you aren't a tire kicker. Go back in a week (I'll bet he still has it) maybe sweeten it a tad... but don't ever let him know how much you can get ahold of~ If it gets sold beforehand... DON'T SWEAT IT! Lots of Dodges' out there.Look at it like this: a business. not a personal or emotional decision.Ask him WHY is is for sale?? "I need the cash" is what YOU want to hear!You can take a bone stocker, for less money (for the truck) and do exactly what that guy has done...plus have the satisfaction of doing it yourself! (or learning how-to). Lots of guys in 'here' are more than willing to help with suggestions/tips. I very rarely bid-up anything that has 'mods'.

• Staff

I'm glad you passed on it. Stick to your guns. They'll never let you down.Just to see what I did.... I spent 7 grand more that that, 6 years ago on a 29,000 mile 2002 ctd. Still under warrantee with a never cancelled extended warrantee. It's close to having all the options you can get. Not all but, very close.Now with all the mods I have done and only 70,0000 miles it might be worth what that guy was asking. So I'm glad you passed. Now, I believe things happen for a reason... you just keep looking and have some faith, the right deal will come along and you will know when it's right. :thumbup2:

Yeah I mean I really liked the truck and it was well taken care of but I am hoping that eventually one will come along that will be more affordable with less miles and also well taken care of. It also didn't have power seats, mirrors, or locks. Which I kind of wanted to have because manual locks are such a pain and I want to deal with them anymore haha

- - - Updated - - -

I'm glad you passed on it. Stick to your guns. They'll never let you down.

Just to see what I did.... I spent 7 grand more that that, 6 years ago on a 29,000 mile 2002 ctd. Still under warrantee with a never cancelled extended warrantee. It's close to having all the options you can get. Not all but, very close.

Now with all the mods I have done and only 70,0000 miles it might be worth what that guy was asking. So I'm glad you passed.

Now, I believe things happen for a reason... you just keep looking and have some faith, the right deal will come along and you will know when it's right. :thumbup2:

Also I see you have the sport version. What is the difference between that an the SLT?

• Staff

The Sport model has the no chrome front, no chrome bumpers. It comes with the brighter sport headlites and the fog lamps. I think the front of the hood and fenders are shaped a little bit different too. I didn't buy it new so not completely sure. I heard the sport option was 1200 bucks more back then.