• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2002 2500

http://york.craigslist.org/cto/3397995651.html I'm going to check out this truck on Sunday and was just wondering if you thought it was worth the price. It is now lowered to 18,900 but still seems a little high to me. I was thinking somewhere around 16k. 181,000 miles. Here's a list of the things that were done to it: Air Dog 150 K&N Cold Air Intake 18" XD Wheels with 33" ____ Cepek Mud Country's Bed Tool Box Head Unit Tow Mirrors Also Included: 5 Oil Filters 1 Air Dog Filter And a free oil change:thumbup2: It hasn't been chipped or anything and hasn't been used for towing, just a daily driver.

• Staff

How do I tell the guy that it is over priced? This is my first time buying a used truck and also a diesel. What would you be comfortable paying?

Book price, it's a 10 year old pickup with 181K miles. If it's in perfect shape it's worth book, if it shows it's age it's worth less.

He is trying to bank on it being a 5.9, but the 03-07's, really 05-07's are the only ones that are not decreasing in value. A 2002 is a generation behind the last of the 5.9's.

- - - Updated - - -

If you get serious about buying it I would pull the intake and check out the turbo, K&N's are not great filters and known to damage turbo's.

• Owner

- - - Updated - - -

If you get serious about buying it I would pull the intake and check out the turbo, K&N's are not great filters and known to damage turbo's.

How do I do that? Are they worse than the factory filter?

Here is a write up of the BHAF...

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/24-air-system/41-bhaf-big-honkin-air-filter

Common appearance of a K&N filter truck. You can see where the compressor wheel is making contact with the housing in this picture and is a bad sign for the turbo.

Posted Image

Remember all this dirt and junk is imbalance the turbo and being sucked into the engine. Here is a turbo with a proper paper filter no dirt.

Posted Image

• Owner

Ok if it has that how do I get rid of it and I'm assuming that will bring the value down but by how much?

BHAF article... http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/24-air-system/41-bhaf-big-honkin-air-filter As for how much value? Well K&N didn't add any value that for sure as for damages the only way to tell is do a compression test but I doubt the owner will go for that.

• Staff

I think you should look for another truck also. You don't want a truck that someone fell for the K and N scenario. You want a seller that has read these threads and others. Done the research showing that he cared for the truck well enough. Prudent enough to do the reading first.IMHO I would not want a truck that's probly been romped with big beefy tires. Find an all original 'grandpa' truck that shows some sweet care.:thumb1:If he's willing to take advantage of someone on the price too, that's a big signal to steer clear. What else is he not telling honestly?

• Like 1

K&N air filters don't do much for piston ring longevity either. Mike's NADA price is what I would give for it top dollar. I would be worried about ball joints, steering link, VP44, heater core, how often he changed the coolant, if it is a 53 block (remotedly possible but unlikely), and what if any codes are in the PCM/ECM.

• Like 1

I whole heartedly agree with everything posted.What makes you think this truck never had a chip? At the very least, check the steering column & knee plastic for a hole from an Quadzilla XZT. Look under the hood for velcro or double sided mounting tape. Codes?? Run scan tool on it!!

• Like 1

I don't know where to find any that have been owned by a "grandpa." All the ones around me have been upgraded and stuff. The only place that has some that are all completely stock and owned by a grandpa is a place in New York called fast lane diesel and from what I heard that guy isn't the best to buy from.

• Like 1