• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

To Sport or not to Sport, that is the question....

Just finished doing my conversion (need to put the housings back in). Went with the TYC lights from Headlight Depot and LMC harnesses. Normally I would go with the best, the Mopar OEM lights and better harnesses, but had a hard time swallowing $500+ :wow:. I would say the quality is fair for what it cost. Hopefully I don't regret it. They are definitely mucho brighter, but not totally sure of the filament logic with the LMC harnesses and if they are working right because there is no useful info. provided with them.:banghead: One major flaw with them is they do not come with fuse holders in the hot leads - very dangerous. I added my own when installing the wiring. A real good read on this subject here: http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?220386-Sport-Headlight-Conversion-(lots-of-photos)

• Like 1

Not yet, Daniel Stern has not returned my call or email yet. There is a member here that made his own harness a few years ago and he has all the part numbers and all but im scarred to dive in.:lmao: Do you need bulbs for your new lights? I have the 4 that came with mine but I ordered some that Mr. Stern recommended so I dont need these.

Ive been looking around a little for bulbs. Did you order the ones your going to be using off the internet or did you find them locally? My friend has those night hawks as well and says their good bulbs, I think I might try them.

I ordered both sets of bulbs from amazon, they were the cheapest and had free shipping. I can't compare these lights with the one I pulled out because I never tried them but there are bright.

- - - Updated - - -

Just finished doing my conversion (need to put the housings back in). Went with the TYC lights from Headlight Depot and LMC harnesses. Normally I would go with the best, the Mopar OEM lights and better harnesses, but had a hard time swallowing $500+ :wow:. I would say the quality is fair for what it cost. Hopefully I don't regret it. They are definitely mucho brighter, but not totally sure of the filament logic with the LMC harnesses and if they are working right because there is no useful info. provided with them.:banghead:

One major flaw with them is they do not come with fuse holders in the hot leads - very dangerous. I added my own when installing the wiring.

A real good read on this subject here:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?220386-Sport-Headlight-Conversion-(lots-of-photos)

Does one filament light up for low and the other light up for high in the low beam bulb along with the high beam bulb? My buddy with an 02 sport came over tonight and I looked at his. The outside bulb (low beam) has 2 filaments, one low and one high. When on low, only 1 filament in the low beam lights up and no high beam at all. When the high beams are on, the other filament in the low beam and one filament in the high beam light up. The problem with the kit I bought is I dont get the high beam filament in the low beam bulb lighting up when the high beams are on.

What you described from your friend's truck is right on the money for how the OEM Sports are wired. BTW, both the 9004 and 9007 bulbs are dual filament, so there are a total of 8 filaments with the Sport lights.The aftermarket harnesses from LMC and the apparently-defunct SUV Lights like the guy in that TDR thread I posted used do not work like OEM, i.e., both bulbs have something lit in both high and low beam mode. I read somewhere that Stern's kit works like OEM (?). One thing I am fairly sure of is, never will all (8) filaments be on at the same time unless some clown intentionally wires it that way.Anyway, I can tell at minimum, just from the wire count on my LMC harnesses that both filaments on the inboard 9004 bulbs are used at some point; one of them is never used in the OEM wiring scheme.I have only tested mine once so far with just the bulbs exposed while having my assistant work the hi/lo switch in the cab. It was kind of hard to tell staring at them bright lights, but I do know two things: 1. When switching from low to high, filaments were switched, and 2. once in hi, switching back to low did nothing - I had to turn the lights off and then back on for them to "reset". This was my comment about not fully understanding the design of my harnesses/relays. Are they supposed to work that way, or are the relays sticky, or ???.I've sinced moved on finishing the install on several other pieces of new equipment, and will eventually get back to thinking about these lights; that's why I did not put the housings back in yet - wanted to see if I discover something wrong that might be easier to address while the housings are off.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Found another source for the sport harness conversion. This is a quality harness, Im quite impressed with the time he puts into these. I just wish I had time to install it right now but Ive got too many other projects on the burner right now. [ATTACH=CONFIG]5185[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5186[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5187[/ATTACH]

What source did you find (what website)? How much was the new wiring harness? They look much better than anything else I have seen... I am just looking to price out what upgrading to Sport headlights will really cost... Seems like there can be quite a few hidden costs if you aren't careful... Any pointers are appreciated!!

Craig (the guy that built my harness) is a member on another forum. I have had mine installed since April and have no complaints so far. He went above and beyond any harness I've seen to date. Even Sterns harness is not as heavy duty and requires some assembling once you get it. Craigs is strictly plug and play. He is a very upstanding man and I have actually talked to him over the phone several times since meeting him. If you are interested in contacting him let me know and I will send you his contact info. JR now Free

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

What you described from your friend's truck is right on the money for how the OEM Sports are wired. BTW, both the 9004 and 9007 bulbs are dual filament, so there are a total of 8 filaments with the Sport lights.The aftermarket harnesses from LMC and the apparently-defunct SUV Lights like the guy in that TDR thread I posted used do not work like OEM, i.e., both bulbs have something lit in both high and low beam mode. I read somewhere that Stern's kit works like OEM (?). One thing I am fairly sure of is, never will all (8) filaments be on at the same time unless some clown intentionally wires it that way.Anyway, I can tell at minimum, just from the wire count on my LMC harnesses that both filaments on the inboard 9004 bulbs are used at some point; one of them is never used in the OEM wiring scheme.I have only tested mine once so far with just the bulbs exposed while having my assistant work the hi/lo switch in the cab. It was kind of hard to tell staring at them bright lights, but I do know two things: 1. When switching from low to high, filaments were switched, and 2. once in hi, switching back to low did nothing - I had to turn the lights off and then back on for them to "reset". This was my comment about not fully understanding the design of my harnesses/relays. Are they supposed to work that way, or are the relays sticky, or ???.I've sinced moved on finishing the install on several other pieces of new equipment, and will eventually get back to thinking about these lights; that's why I did not put the housings back in yet - wanted to see if I discover something wrong that might be easier to address while the housings are off.

im having a similar problem with the DAP harness...

did you ever find out the source of your problem?

• 11 months later...
29 minutes ago, lcattin said:

I am having the exact same problem with my harness.  Has anyone come up with a fix for this.  I actually exploded one of my bulbs with both filaments on at the same time. On coming drivers didn't like it either.

I'd start a new thread and describe what you've done and the problem you're having.  There is a lot of info here and your problem might be better presented that way.  

Edited by CSM