• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

KDP on a 24v?

Hey guys, Im wondering who has ever experienced an issue with the kdp on a 24v? Ive read of the possibilities of the problem continuing into the early years, but Ive never personally heard of anyone thats had the issue themselves. Has anybody experienced anything, either with your own truck or a buddies or a customers vehicle perhaps?

When I put in my cam in I looked at it. On my 2000 the hole you look through to see the dowel pin is smaller than the O.D. of the pin. Not sure when this changed. Maybe when the switch was made over to the 24 valve? Sorry the picture isn't greatest quality.

Thats what Im wondering. Ive seen the kits for doing the tab and have seen them for the early 24valves as well. Since Ive got a 98.5, its always been in the back of my mind. Supposedly they had the same issue, but Ive never personally heard of anybody thats had the problem themselves. I think I read about it on TDR, which has been around since the 2nd gens were new. I suppose if nobodys responding, thats a good thing for me. :thumbup2: Im going to keep digging though, just to settle my doubts. Planning at least 2 sizeable road trips this year, going to the east coast in early July and then turning around and heading to Wyoming after that if things go as planned, so Ive got a few items I want to get ironed out before saddling up. This is one of them :)

I looked around and it seems the gear case with the indentation to hold the dowel pin in was used on some 24 valves and on some it wasn't. All the way up to '02. The cover would have to be pulled to find out.

Thats pretty similar to what Ive read, like they had extra cases in certain plants and used them up on the 24 valves. It is an uneasy feeling not knowing whether or not Ive got one, maybe better to just go ahead and open it up and see what Ive got. Make a good saturday or sunday project, when its too cold to be outside.

I've heard something similar as well, pertaining to the coloring of the lettering on the valve covers from 98.5-2002...98.5's and up (those that had the non updated case) being red, and later on being a black colored style (suposedly being the updated case).I' can't confirm this, though, and am still researching.

Looking at genos website they list 2 different part numbers for the kdp kit. One set for 94-98 12 valve and the other for 89-93 and 98.5-02. But then if you go to the tech article it states this was not an issue with the 24 valves because theyve got different gear cases. So basically contradicting themselves :shrug:

Looking at genos website they list 2 different part numbers for the kdp kit. One set for 94-98 12 valve and the other for 89-93 and 98.5-02. But then if you go to the tech article it states this was not an issue with the 24 valves because theyve got different gear cases. So basically contradicting themselves :shrug:

If you start to research this crap like the specs of things you will find this everywhere. All you can do is get 5 different opinions and if there is a doubt, then do it. There is a doubt so I would check. It's simple to do and really fun cause you get to see all the shiny gears and that makes it all worth while :lol::drool: And yeah without a doubt I could get there on a tank haha

I have '99 and I DO have the KDP. It was among one of the first fixes I did to the truck. I think mine was sticking out a bit cause when I did my tab, it had to bend when I tightened up the bolt.I did my own tab and ground it out from a fender washer at the hardware store...Also, I have 53 block, too.. So far so good!

• 1 month later...

i was always under the impression that 24v had the "kdp fix" casted in to the cover, this was not the case on my 98, the dowel pin backed out at about 255k miles. luckily i was backing up to a trailer at home not on the road somewhere.

busted the front cover, no gear damage. i was backing up to stock trailer, heard a pop after hooking up trailer i seen it dripping oil, lost less than 2 quarts in 5-10 min idling. i shut the truck off checked it out, uh hooked, and drove it up to the barn. Id say if i was driving down the road i wouldn't of realized it until oil psi dropped.

if you have any doubt about the pin coming out save your self a lot of trouble and tab it. i got lucky with getting a free cover from a buddy that p pumped his 01. But you still have to pull the bumper, core support, radiator, inner-cooler, fan, pump, vacuum pump, balancer, front cover, valve train, and cam. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

- - - Updated - - -

the housing off the 01 has a cover over the dowel pin hole. i still put a shot of green lock tight on the new pin.

weather or not you need the pin or not is a good question. some say you have to have to have it or the gear mesh will be off, engineers from Cummins have told me that there for assembly purpose only. I figured im not taking a chance on 25cent pin :lol: