• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Headlite Lenses....

Theres several restoration kits available out there, some better than others. But they honestly dont do what they claim, and they tend to haze back over quicker once theyre sanded down. Unfortunately the best solution is replacements. Theyre pricey, but you wont have to worry about it for another 10+ years (assuming your on the original head lights)

before

Posted Image

after

Posted Image

Used the 3M kit, and honestly, even though it does a great job, I wonder if my time, took about an hour each one, plus the cost of the kit is really worth it?? New aftermarket lenses are pretty reasonable.

Deer strike took em out long before they started to haze again...:banghead:

Posted Image

- - - Updated - - -

once you 'restore' them, they definitely haze back at a more rapid rate. I do restore mine about once a year, then wax the crap out of them.. this tends to make them stay clear a little longer, waxing them several times a year.

I noticed too, the protective 'film' is removed during restoration.. I wonder if a 'clear coat' would help?

it's quite possible it would.I now use just the foamy attachment with the kit and "3M Finishing Material" liquid for body shops. It take like 5 minutes for re-do's.. It's about $20 from a body shop supplier and lasts forever. It's awesome for taking off oxidation from paint prior to a good spring waxing.

I kid you not, Colgate or Crest toothpaste and some arm power, or a buffer would be better. Got mine back around pretty decent

I've used toothpaste to buff scratches out of console game and music cds, as well as polish taillight lenses and instrument cluster lenses.
  • Like 2

• Staff

Cool ideas.......Thanks.... My truck still looks fairly new except for the lenses. Maybe acid rain or UV causes the lenses to get dull, cause it starts at the top edge. But it looks like a factory coating that wears off... so I don't really know

• 3 weeks later...

well i haven't got to the lenses on my truck yet, shes still new to me :D, but I have done a handfull of other vehicles over time, before they thought to sell us those pricey kits I found my own (which is also cheaper) way:sand them down (i just use a palm sander) with a coarse, then finer sand paper, wipe with a damp soft cloth to get any dust left on, let them dry then give them a few light coat of clearcoat (i usually use plastikote brand rattle can) untill it fills and settles smooth.the paint fills in any marks from the sanding and gives a nice crystal clear smooth surface that i have found has a good long life to it.hope my first contribution to the forum is useful for someone :)

• Like 1

Thank you. Does the rattle can Plasti-Cote have a nail polish or lacquer smell to it? Just trying to understand what 'Plasti Cote' is :think:

it's just a brand name my local parts store carries, i find it adheres to the plastic quite well, as well as most surfaces (my jeep is done entirely in plastikote fl-9 orange lol) more specifically to lenses i use the T-45 clear acrylic: http://www.plastikote.com/products/General%20Purpose/Premium-Enamel-Paint.html