• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Voltage surge at cold idle

I replaced my alternator and belt recently and since then I've noticed a weird voltage issue when I start up the truck first thing in the morning. When I first turn on the key voltage comes up to 12V. As the engine cranks it drops momentarily to 8.5-10V, then when the engine is running voltage returns to about 11.5V. It stays there for 10-15 seconds until then the alternator pulls it up to 14V. Then the voltage (and the engine to a lesser extent) starts surging between 12.5 and 14V. This continues for a couple minutes and then things even out where they should be (about 14.5V).I'm confused!

It's normal to be hypersensitive after changing something out.

Yeah, I saw my voltage drop off when the alternator bought the farm, so I was watching it like a hawk after I replaced the brushes. Never really paid that close of attention so must not have noticed it before. I'm sure it had done it before because it wasn't as cold as it had been. I especially liked reading the article from ISX's link-- I ended up reading most of the other articles, too! I'm learning all sorts of neat stuff about my truck! :thumb1: