• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

CFM+

Havent tried it but hear alot of great things about it. I read an article in a diesel magazine said they replaced an afe blade runner with with the cfm and dynoed the truck before and after and gained something like 10 hp and 18 ftlbs of torque(dont quote me on those number's) I will see if I can find the article and post the info for you.

Thanks Jim. Mine is still stock. I know it wont be a huge change but still looking for a bit of mpg/hp/torque. I see lots of ppl here in there stats show cfm+. Figured it would be good to tap into people who already have bought one. But haven't heard anyone who has one yet.

Havent tried it but hear alot of great things about it. I read an article in a diesel magazine said they replaced an afe blade runner with with the cfm and dynoed the truck before and after and gained something like 10 hp and 18 ftlbs of torque(dont quote me on those number's) I will see if I can find the article and post the info for you.

• Staff

It's a pretty popular design, but I think it's overrated and overpriced.

The GDP unit is much cheaper and flows nearly the same air, at least close enough that the difference is not worth the cost.

There have also been some reports of the CFM's exploding, it's in abusive situations but the GDP is metal and won't do that.

I would look at the GDP.

Posted Image

I agree with AH64ID. For the price of the cfm unit you could save about $120 more and get a smarty jr. Then you will have a lot more torque and power and I am sure I would get better mpg but had to much fun making a few mustangs, bmw's and a camero look stupid today(I have only had my Smarty jr for about 3 weeks ) Today was my first semi long trip since installing and the power was there!!!

• Staff

I already have TST max chip. It works great!! I was just wondering how effective a horn or a cfm was with the exhaust, and tst chip combined with a horn is all. Sounds like its not worth bothering.

Why do you think it's not worth bothering? The horn adds mid range power, and cooler IAT's.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

In normal daily driving I doubt there is a much of increase without supporting mods like AH64ID has done like bigger turbo, cam, etc. In a full blown racing application I can see the need for the intake even more.

It made a nice difference on my dads stock motor. The OEM horn is a huge restriction, and it's the biggest restriction at low/mid boost/airflow and not as much at peak flow/boost.

It made a nice difference on my dads stock motor. The OEM horn is a huge restriction, and it's the biggest restriction at low/mid boost/airflow and not as much at peak flow/boost.

How much, if any, increase in flow on the stock air horn would you achieve if you took a die grinder/file and got rid of flashing/extra metal??? Or is it just the "squarish" shape of the horn in general that impedes flow???:shrug:

Might help some. I think the rough inner material is part of the problem. Also the bold restriction area etc.

How much, if any, increase in flow on the stock air horn would you achieve if you took a die grinder/file and got rid of flashing/extra metal??? Or is it just the "squarish" shape of the horn in general that impedes flow???:shrug:

• Staff

It's the pinch for the mounting bolts, so you couldn't open the mouth enough to make it worth it.

Well maybe this summer I will have some time to try and invent something or I will try and look around for a used one off a truck.Limited on deals up here in Ontario Canada compared to the USA.

It's the pinch for the mounting bolts, so you couldn't open the mouth enough to make it worth it.

• 3 weeks later...
Hidden

Thanks Jim. Mine is still stock. I know it wont be a huge change but still looking for a bit of mpg/hp/torque. I see lots of ppl here in there stats show cfm+. Figured it would be good to tap into people who already have bought one. But haven't heard anyone who has one yet.

From the pic of the stock air horn you posted it looks like you can remove at least .375 from each side of the opening to the intake. As for the roughness of the sides I don't think that would be any issue. A die grinder with a carbide burr followed by a buzzer band to smoth things out and I bet you would notice a change. Don

It's a pretty popular design, but I think it's overrated and overpriced.

The GDP unit is much cheaper and flows nearly the same air, at least close enough that the difference is not worth the cost.

There have also been some reports of the CFM's exploding, it's in abusive situations but the GDP is metal and won't do that.

I would look at the GDP.

Posted Image

From the pic of the stock air horn you posted it looks like you can remove at least .375 from each side of the opening to the intake. As for the roughness of the sides I don't think that would be any issue. A die grinder with a carbide burr followed by a buzzer band to smoth things out and I bet you would notice a change.

Don