• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Vacuum pump seal

Got a goulds kit and going to tackle the pump seal issue. Got the video and i know how to do it. The problem is none of the videos or anything tell me the best way to actually remove the pump and PS unit from the truck. I know to do it as one unit, but you guys that have done it, which way did you go? Out the bottom or top?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Owner

Just ordered parts to do mine. Drove home today and found my truck turned into the deepwater horizon.

Hua? :shrug: Disconnect all the power steering lines from the power steering pump. Disconnect the oil line ans the vacuum line. Pull any brackets holding the power steering pump. Pull 2 bolts on the gear case. Remove and rebuild. Re-assemble in reverse order.

Yeah, looks like a easy job. There is a steady stream of oil coming out of the bracket between the pumps right now. Will probably take truck to shop tuesday or wednesday so I can get torn down and all the parts cleaned up so when the seal kit shows up I can slam it back together.

got pump removed this mroning and cleaning them up to do the seak kit when I noticed the teeth on the drive hubs between the vacuum pump and steering pump are badly worn. Friend thinks he has another pump setup, hopefully.

Posted Image

Posted Image

On mine with the worn out drive dogs I found a friend that had a vacuum pump with a cracked seal housing but vacuum pump in good shape to replace that side. The drive dog for the PS pump if $92 from deal so just bought a new PS pump from napa for $52 with new dog on it. Already had a new seal kit on the way to refresh it all. The PS fluid had a strong green/yellow tint to it. It was one thing I was planning on flushing this summer but over half way there now so will finish that off with new fluid.

Back to the OP... I would be wondering how much stress the power steering pump is putting on the hub. I would consider looking into doing a PS flush and getting the fluid changed out as well.

On my old truck that was a GMC, I could remove a PS line and drain the fluid out that way. But when I re-did the seal with the kit I flushed the PS fluid and I tried every line to the pump and none of them blew fuid out of their lines.How do you flush the fluid from the PS system?

My truck is always oily around the vacuum pump but it does not cover the undersde of my truck and I dont have to ad oil. There is never even a drip on the concrete or anything, wonder if I should even mess with it? Im thinking its more of an oil pan leak than anything.

Looks like a tough job to me. I would watch it until I get at least some drips. Have you extended your blow by tube? Oily residue could come from there.

Mine was just a little oily around the pumps too untilled last week when it suddenly turned into a geyser. Leaked 3 qt of oil just driving 7 miles to my work shop. For the $16 for seal kit it worth doing sooner than later IMO. It really isn't hard at all.