• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What kind of air bags you guys running?

So I picked up a Revtek 2" leveling kit last night and now I want to get some air bags so the rear doesn't sit lower than the front with a load on. What brand are you guys running? I like the look of the Firestone 2220 no drill kit. But I found a Airlift kit local that is new in the box for $300 obo. The only issue is it is an outboard kit between the frame and the tire and is a smaller bag than the Firestones, I just want the best ride possible for the least money...lol Not asking for much am I? :)

• Staff

I got good advice when I got PacBrake air bags. I was told the best are the ones that go over the leaf springs and on the outside of the frame. Drilling required however.I had to watch really close as to where to drill the holes in the frame cause of stuff in the backside. Once you mount the lower bracket and the truck is sitting without a load you need to cut an 8 inch block to rest on the lower mount so the upper bracket on top is parallel with the lower one and at the correct distance of 8 '' above.PackBrake is supposed to have thicker brackets. I saw a bent firestone bracket from loading a truck camper, but Firestone does make a stronger bracket if you pay the extra. I paid $320 back a couple years ago.

Nice truck and interesting pic.... I would like to nominate this for TOTM .

Thanks I usually keep it spotless, but we had to travel 20 miles of gravel roads that were gross. The things a guy won't do for his wife. She has 10 horses and 30 sheep on our 8.5 acre plantation...lol. I just have vehicles....lots of vehicles :)

- - - Updated - - -

Got her all cleaned up this morning. I only like my women dirty :)

post-11741-138698197564_thumb.jpg

It's all about use. My truck was a hot shotter for who knows how many 100k miles so the thing almost sits on the overloads with no load at all. The air bags jacked it back where it's supposed to be and mannnnn it rides nice. I'd ditch the overloads altogether but it never touchs them so I just leave them for backup reasons (if the bags screw up). So far the bags are incredibly constant. I never have to touch them.

• Like 1

No air bag at all... :shrug: So far with everything I've towed I can't find a reason for air bag yet. I rare to even get my truck to sit on the helper springs.

Same here when I had my '99. I think I remember only a couple times where the helpers were touching.

i have Firestone on my f-250 they mount a little different than on a dodge but i have had great luck with them. it stays hooked to horse trailer 99.9% of the time so the springs were wore out. the ride with empty is horrible. if your just wanting to lift the rear end id go with a taller block or lift springs.my dodge has factory over loads and ive never had it squat enough to hit the rubber load stops

• Like 1

Zukifreek; running Air Lift air bags on my 2004, 3500 single axle. Made the ride a lot smoother. I pull an 31' Airstream type RV (actually a Silver Streak) across country from Connecticut to California at least twice a year, installed the air bags recently and they seem to make the ride smoother as mentioned and the rear of the truck at the correct height to the front of my truck with the 2" lift kit.

- - - Updated - - -

Zukifreek; Air Lift air bags $214, after $25.00 on line coupon and $50.00 Rebate & free shipping. I did not purchase on board air compressor at this time.

• Like 1