• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hard vibration

I have searched the forum hoping some one else has had this problem but can't find one (4x4 01 3500). I replaced my u-joints that are connected to the front axles about a month ago because I found them loose when doing some maintenance on the truck. Put about 500 miles on it scene then and about a week ago I had a fast vibration on the truck. At first I thought I was on the shoulder of the road and was hitting a Rolled-in rumble strip, but I did not see any rumble strip in the road. It happens when i am going above 40mph and it will last for about 3-5 seconds and seems to get started when i hit a bump or a recess in the road. I live in Newport Oregon and commute on Hwy 101 which is a rough road. I can feel it in my feet it is kinda violent and I think it is coming from the front drive train. I almost forgot the vibration is getting harder and more frequent.

get back under there and check to see if you've thrown a cap off your new joint. It IS possible to have either mis installed the clip or forgotten to install it altogether! u talking the actual axle joint at the knuckle right?How tight was the press fit? I've never had one go back together as snug as I'd like to see.. and if you had a clip break/fly off, a flung cap is the result. check your wheel bearings and front prop shaft too.

I have searched the forum hoping some one else has had this problem but can't find one (4x4 01 3500). I replaced my u-joints that are connected to the front axles about a month ago because I found them loose when doing some maintenance on the truck. Put about 500 miles on it scene then and about a week ago I had a fast vibration on the truck. At first I thought I was on the shoulder of the road and was hitting a Rolled-in rumble strip, but I did not see any rumble strip in the road. It happens when i am going above 40mph and it will last for about 3-5 seconds and seems to get started when i hit a bump or a recess in the road. I live in Newport Oregon and commute on Hwy 101 which is a rough road. I can feel it in my feet it is kinda violent and I think it is coming from the front drive train. I almost forgot the vibration is getting harder and more frequent.

Did you replace the Ujoints in the "CV" part of the shaft ? My Son got into this with his 99 and there is a part inside the CV joint that keeps the knuckle from wobbleing.. Its been awhile, and I can`t remember exactly how it works, but Oreilly sells a rebuild kit for this pretty cheap

if you think you have some slop in the CV part I would pull it out, and drive the truck around to see... Just my:2cents:

P.S. I just noticed you are talking about the "axle ujoint" but this might be something to check anyway

Well i checked the u-joins at the knuckle that i replaced and all of the caps and clips are there. I did find play in the u-joint at the front yoke. I can just barely feel it. The wheel bearing is tight and has no play. The u-joints went in tight. I will take out the front prop shaft and see it it still vibrates and shakes the truck. Thank you for your time on this.

- - - Updated - - -

OK I tore out the front drive shaft and found that all the play was in the slip joint of the drive shaft and the u-joints were nice and tight. I am going to drive it around with out the front drive shaft and see it makes a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I drove it home tonight with out the front drive shaft and it still is making the noise. This time it would not stop until I slowed down below 40mph. I am thinking a lose bearing in the front differential but I just am not sure. I know that wont be cheap to fix if that is the problem.

Well i checked the u-joins at the knuckle that i replaced and all of the caps and clips are there. I did find play in the u-joint at the front yoke. I can just barely feel it. The wheel bearing is tight and has no play. The u-joints went in tight. I will take out the front prop shaft and see it it still vibrates and shakes the truck. Thank you for your time on this.

- - - Updated - - -

OK I tore out the front drive shaft and found that all the play was in the slip joint of the drive shaft and the u-joints were nice and tight. I am going to drive it around with out the front drive shaft and see it makes a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I drove it home tonight with out the front drive shaft and it still is making the noise. This time it would not stop until I slowed down below 40mph. I am thinking a lose bearing in the front differential but I just am not sure. I know that wont be cheap to fix if that is the problem.

It sounds like something is coming loose...I think I would go back and check the axle retaining nuts.. Maybe the unit bearing hubs while your there??

Let us know what you find

Maybe this is just coincidence that it started after your maintenance! have you ever heard of the death wobble? I personally have never had it yet!!!!! knock on wood! but maybe this is a bit of the death wobble? just throwing ideas out there! I have heard its quit extreme tho!

• 4 weeks later...

You don't mistake death wobble for anything else. once you've had it you KNOW it and have NO doubt.This sounds rotational in nature and not like anything to do with steering or suspension components.How's your rear driveline? Be sure to check it with the trans in neutral with the brake set or wheels chocked - load on the driveline from holding the truck will mask any play.Reading what you've done I was surprised to read that you didn't throw a ujoint cap, and then surprised again when the shaft with a sloppy slip wasn't the cause. Is there any slop in the axle yoke? Pinion bearings will almost always fail first unless something actually breaks in the diff. Does your truck have CAD? If so, throw the case into 4x4H to lock the CAD and see if there's any change. If it's diff-based, it should change.Just throwing a couple ideas out there. I'd be going over all rotating parts with a fine tooth comb. Does the frequency feel like road speed or driveline speed? With the 'rumble strip' comment I'd think driveline. I hope you find a bad joint in the rear shaft and that's all it is.

• 2 months later...

ok some you you guys will find this hard to believe but after the last updated i checked my front and rear differential fluid and the front was dirty and the rear was pitch black. i replaced the fluid with full synthetic gear oil and have not had the problem since. after 1000 miles i put the front prop shaft back in and still no problem so as odd as it sounds and as hard as it is for me to believe changing the differential fluid fixed the problem. only thing i can think of is the noise was actually coming from the clutch in the rear end, and was acting up making the rumble strip noise.

ok, you've probably isolated the noise. :thumbup2: a rotational buzz/vibration going straight makes me wonder if it's something other than the diff clutch. You might have a bad diff bearing, or outer rear axle bearing, and the new oil is going to mask the problem... for awhile. How warm are your differentials after say a 20-30 mile jog? They should be good and warm.. at the center section... check your outside hubs too (rear) Although, a bad diff bearing will cause the gear alignment to change, and those babies will start to howl on either acceleration or deceleration... Did you happen to really inspect the old oil for metal? A bad pinion bearing should knock the seal out pretty quick... and you'll have leaking oil. Another thought: I just got back from a long road trip last week, and I suddenly had a alarming buzz coming from the front end. ( I thought I was screwed). It was only the inner fender well blowing back onto the tire! Dang plastic rivets broke loose!