• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

98.5 with 4th Gear Hunt Fix

I am the original owner of a 98.5 Dodge Cummins with 140,000 miles. Several months ago it started the 'gear hunt' symptoms. My local garage WAS a dodge dealer but lost the dealership back in the summer. They put a new APPS unit (from NAPA) on the truck but it did not solve the issue. I have the '1998-2002 Dodge 4th ger hunt fix" document from ATS Diesel; and a similar document from Sun Coast Diesel. Both of these documents focus on correcting potential grounding issues between the APPS and the ECM/PCM modules. After reading one of the threads here, I see that reprogramming fixed, at least one person's issue. I do not believe my truck has ever been reflashed or reprogrammed since delivery from the dealer back in 88. What is the opinion of the group? Should I attempt the 'ground fix' (no cost) first or should the truck be reflashed anyway to get updates? Closest dealer is now more than 50 miles away.

i don't have an auto and i'm not an expert. i believe the "noise in the line" is caused by a worn out diode in the alternator. i would reckon that any fix would be a band-aid, and would suspect there would be different degrees of intensity(the noise your experiencing could be different from another person's noise). replacing the alternator would seem to be to be the most logical course of action. but it would only return when that one's diode wears out.if i am incorrect about any of this please correct me.

First off welcome, Second is, are there any mods done to the rig as of now? ie. comp box programmer ect? I would go for the ground fix first and get it done to rule it out anyways. Second is to calibrate the apps. unplug the batts for a few minutes rehook them up then turn key on "DO NOT START" then press accellerator pedal slowly all the way to floor and back and done turn key off.

There are no Mods to the truck. I will attempt the re-grounding as I don't see where this would cause any problems....only potential solutions. Is it possible the issue will be corrected by a reflash? That probably costs less than a new alternator. Can I get the alternator diodes checked by Advanced Auto (they're close by)? Would they have the equipment to spot a bad diode? I sunk $750 into replacing the APPS with no change. I have been told new batteries and new alternator, but this just seems like replacing parts to me. Eventually I'll find the one that is 'broke'.

• Owner

There are no Mods to the truck. I will attempt the re-grounding as I don't see where this would cause any problems....only potential solutions.

Is it possible the issue will be corrected by a reflash?

Some have report it works...:confused:

That probably costs less than a new alternator. Can I get the alternator diodes checked by Advanced Auto (they're close by)? Would they have the equipment to spot a bad diode?

They should have a test bench to check diodes...

I sunk $750 into replacing the APPS with no change.

OMG! :wow: I know Timbo sell the APPS for $160...

I have been told new batteries and new alternator, but this just seems like replacing parts to me. Eventually I'll find the one that is 'broke'.

Well if it was me I would pull the alternator have it tested on a bench and then have the truck tested for batteries and charging output.

Oh, I forgot to add; I will definitely try and reset the APPS, I'm not sure the dealer did this....but they obviously should have. That is also part of the instructions for running the new ground lines to the battery.

Make sure you take your time ding the wire work and the reset... Up and down on the throttle slowly...

Welcome, reflash worked for me.Don't they have tuners/chips that do that now? Since you lost the dealer close by. It cost me somewhere around 130 bucks. I can't remember where I read about the new reprogramers, Diesel World Magazine maybe?Dave

I did the Sun Coast suggestion as my step one and it worked Great!!! Problem has completely gone away. The Sun Coast suggestion is to GROUND the wire #4 coming out of the APPS (Black wire with Yellow Trace). They said to splice into this wire and run the new wire to a good ground on the metal dashboard frame. I taped into #4 Black/Yellow and ran wire to the dashboard metal ground as instructed and then reset the APPS. I am once again a happy camper. Again, thanks for all the advice.

This is hard to discribe.But there is another wire fix on the apps.If it feels grain-ee at w.o.t. from a dead stop.And this is also linked to 4th gear hunt.It is the 3rs pin on the apps(LB/BK) to the k22 OR/DB wire on the pcm. This fix worked for a wile. Why just a wile i dont know.Then i did the suncoast fix. All better now :wink: