• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fan clutch diagnosis

I can really hear my fan when it's really hot, but I'm wondering if my fan clutch is running too much all the time. I am over cooling and temps swing between 190 and 175. Cycles more less. How do you diagnose if the clutch is working properly?

Look to see if there is oily residue around the hub and when the rig is cold try to spin it by hand, it should turn fairly free with a slight drag maybe get a 1/2 to full revolution out of it with a flick if it is stiffer than that it is probably going bad.

• Owner

Wild temperature swings would most likely be a bad thermostat too. But the fan noise is like Wild & Free posted. Because you got to remember in the frozen north if you don't have a winter front that minus air temp is blowing across the radiator and doesn't phase it for temp I still can hold 190-193*F of temp. So the fan won't create the wild up down.

Hidden

2005 burgundy/silver qcsb 2500 4X4 Smarty Jr POD,PSM intake, 407hp 732 tq, 105k

2003 VW Jetta TDI 5 spd midnight blue Bone stock 45 mpg, 208k

2010 silver Ram 1500 4x4 qcsb 5.7 hemi 5spd auto 3.55 gears, 39k

This works then one more comment. thank for that

________________________________________________________________________________

Facebook SEO blog Free software download blogger widget

Wild temperature swings would most likely be a bad thermostat too. But the fan noise is like Wild & Free posted. Because you got to remember in the frozen north if you don't have a winter front that minus air temp is blowing across the radiator and doesn't phase it for temp I still can hold 190-193*F of temp. So the fan won't create the wild up down.

My latest thermostat is a new Dodge $60 standard unit.:pray:

My latest thermostat is a new Dodge $60 standard unit.:pray:

I have been watching this thread closely. I have the same problem except I am running 20* colder than you. I have replaced everything in the cooling system except for the heater hoses and the fan clutch. I have been:banghead: for quite sometime now. I am ordering a new clutch today. I can hear the fan when it engages and disengages, though the last couple of trips I have made the fan does not seem to make as much noise. As said before, the fan makes quite a roar when it engages. Hopefully what fixes yours might fix mine.

I'm still wondering about trusting the dash temperature gauge. Which brings me to a question. Before I invest in 5 more gauges, what could the ScanGauge monitor. 2-3 gauges and I'd guess I could buy a ScanGauge.

I can grab my top radiator hose any time at the tstat housing and not have to go let of it, even after pulling my 15k 5th wheel. it is not hot at all. I believe the ScanGauge will read coolant temps. I am not sure since I don't have one.

Before I did the puke bottle conversion I would wipe clean my fan blades when I did an oil change.In 9/2010 with 118900 miles on my truck I noticed the fan had a wobble to it, upon further inspection I noticed that most of the fan blades had about 1/4 inch cracks where the blade met the hub.I replaced the fan with a only available at the Dodge dealer one for $87.03 The bearing from a local bearing company for $79.31 the Dodge dealer wanted $240.00 Not one time do I remember hearing any noise from the fan because of the bad bearing. Just very glad the thing didn't come apart while driving.

• 2 weeks later...

Why so much for a thermostat? That seems a bit steep. Geno's has a 190º Gates for $16.95.

I got one from doge for $50. There oe replacement. I priced one from a Cummins dealer in OK about a year ago and they wanted $90. Both harsh on the wallet.

The best way to tell if the clutch is bad is if it spins freely when cold.Also if you hear it engage and disengage it is working properly. I replaced mine with a severe duty, and it is a bit loud, but what i have noticed is when cold in the morning on start up, it stays locked and loud till i reach operating temp, then i can hear it disengage. I think that is strange, i thought it would not engage until heat was on it. I was told that it requires some heat to disengage, the it will engage again when hit with excessive heat. Keeps me right at 190 all summer long towing or not.