• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2013 dually wheels on a 2001?

Ya I posted on the other forum too, I need a answer asap, I bought a brand new set of tires and wheels off of a 2013 dually (alcoa wheels) I want to put them on a 2001 dually. I only paid $1000 for the whole set. I want to know if anyone has done this. The alcoa wheels are thicker. The dealer said they will work with my lugnuts. My lug nut is flush with the end of the stud and the stud does not have threads on the last 1/4 inch. Is this ok? I dont want to have to change all the studs. anyone else?

My buddy also a rig welder just bought two 2013 dodges and he put rockstars on both of them, so he put one set of alcoas on his 2005 and sold the others w/tires to me for a grand. His 2005 was exactly the same and he checked it out because he was concerned about his. He found out that you only need 1x the diameter of the stud of threads. I endend up with 7/8 of an inch as he did. He is currently in North Dakota and if you have not been in north dakota on a right away you aint been on a bad road. He has not had an issue with them coming loose. Im gonna keep an eye on them, and so will everyone else LOL. It looks bad A$$!!!! I found this all out after I posted the question because I could not get hold of him. But thank you for the response, I appreciate it. Im hopeing my buddy buys anothe new one lol Im gonna kype those wheels too !! thanks guys

He found out that you only need 1x the diameter of the stud of threads.

That is what I was taught when I went through the rigging section of my crane op cert. Obviously it was for lifting lugs and such and not wheel studs but Ive seen it hold true so far time and time again, so you should be fine. As you were saying though, keep a breaker bar handy and check em out frequently until your comfortable. Are you sure theyre not from a leftover '12 instead of a '13?

Supposedly the lug lengths are different for aluminum vs steel wheeled pickups, making a problem of having too short a lug when putting newer Al wheels on a steel wheeled truck. Also, the 2nd gen lugs have a different thread than the newer 4th gen trucks. You will need to use 2nd gen lug nuts or convert to new lugs, which may be a pain depending on how the axles are cut. I have 4th gen Al wheels on my factory Al wheeled 02 and have had no problems, as long as I keep the OEM 2nd gen lug nuts.