• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Remanufactured VP44 Pump

I Bought a reman vp44 pump combo set with the lift pump and fuel filter from Thoroughbred Diesel and I am only getting 12 psi pressure at the fuel filter out of the new carter lift pump. The truck runs good till you start driving under a load the pressure drops down to 7or8psi and it throws the 1689 no communication between the ecm and injection pump. Did I just waste money buying the combo with this carter lift pump? Has anyone else dealt with Thouroughbred before?

I have had a 1689 code from low lift pump pressure before, but I don't think 7 Or 8 psi is low enough to set off a code. Have you cleared the code to make sure it isn't a left over code from a previous problem? It seems like a certain member just recently posted about ThoroughBred's vp44's having used ecm's on them, hopefully your not having an issue with the pump. I've heard good things about dealing with ThoroughBred so I'm sure you won't have any issues dealing with them. As far as the pressure your seeing from the Carter pump, that's about as good as your going to see.

i bought my current reman vp44 (all are reman these days) and a stock carter LP but they told me to get something stronger as the carter doesnt cut it. i ended up with the raptor 150 which failed after 3 years and is now replaced with fuel boss.your vp should be under a 30-60 day warranty, let them know the problems and see about a warranty replacement. one thing with thoroughbred i found after is they dont get vp's with new pc boards, so you are taking a chance with a reman that is mechanically sound but the electronics are about to fail.thus blue chip diesel for my next vp as they replace the boards on theirs.

• Owner

VP44 electronics are replaced on most all pumps. It next to impossible to run 3 hours of bench time and manage to flash a dead or dying PSG module. So that hype of getting bad electronics isn't always true. Here is the VP44 test bench process.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Q8qQ2UKRI

Here is the diagnostics on it. http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/228-p1689-no-communication-between-ecm-and-vp44
  • Like 1

yes most vendors but not all. A certain member recently reported calling and speaking to them personally about this very issue, and their response was if it passes the bench test the used computer goes on the reman pump. Maybe he will chime in....Im not saying this is the op's issue, it is doubtful it would fail right out of the box. Hopefully the code will go away with a reset...

• Owner

I have bought a few things from Thoroughbred in the past. Never had to send anything back to test there customer service though. You should call them and tell them about your problem and see what they have to say. Do so before your warranty expires. The oe lift pump is iffy at best. You can tell that by the FP #'s you are seeing. I believe they are within Dodge's specs but not Bosch's. Here is some info to read http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/25-fuel-system?start=10 There is a lot of info good here. I put a Blue Chip VP on my truck just over 3 years and 70k miles ago with no issues thus far. The new electronics is what drew me to their pump. His web site also has a lot of good info on it also. I still believe he is not the only one that does this though. You have to be real specific with someone when buying to be sure they did. Alot of old ones are left on if they still operate within Bosch's specs at the time of rebuild. I thought at one time that DAP offered them both ways, but I don't see it on his web site any more.

• Staff

12 PSI on a Carter pump sounds like the common banjo bolt and stock fuel line restriction. If you put in 1/2'' lines all the way you should see around 14-15 with no drop on WOT, even with the Carter pump.I'm surprised they did not tell you that you need to get rid of the stock lines before you replaced the VP.It's sort of like putting in a new engine but having too small of a radiator to keep it properly cooled. Pressure needs to stay 14 and above.

yes most vendors but not all. A certain member recently reported calling and speaking to them personally about this very issue, and their response was if it passes the bench test the used computer goes on the reman pump. Maybe he will chime in.... Im not saying this is the op's issue, it is doubtful it would fail right out of the box. Hopefully the code will go away with a reset...

That would've been me. I asked them (TD) about what exactly is done, and basically was told "If it ain't broke, it's reused" Plus the fact that the overflow valve is no longer included with the rebuilt pump (must buy new or re-use the old)... swayed me to DAP. (guaranteed NEW Bosch components). As for the 'It passed the 3 hour test, it MUST be good' theory, It STILL has X number hours from previous life. Heat and vibration have chewed into total service. How much life is left??? Might as well start out with Zero hours on the electronics.
  • Like 1

• Owner

(Insider tip)DAP = Industrial InjectionI know where his pumps come from. :wink:Personally I don't worry about the vendors I worry about the source of the pump who re-maned the pump? Like I found out there is only a small handful of Bosch Certified rebuilders and the rest are just vendors selling wares from these rebuilders.

(Insider tip)

DAP = Industrial Injection

I know where his pumps come from. :wink:

Personally I don't worry about the vendors I worry about the source of the pump who re-maned the pump? Like I found out there is only a small handful of Bosch Certified rebuilders and the rest are just vendors selling wares from these rebuilders.

LOL< that explains why my new pump came from Illinois, NOT Utah! Which worked out for me great, saved a day on shipping! Why does it take twice as long to ship to Nebraska from the west coast, as it does from the east? :shrug::shrug:

- - - Updated - - -

(Insider tip)

DAP = Industrial Injection

I know where his pumps come from. :wink:

Personally I don't worry about the vendors I worry about the source of the pump who re-maned the pump? Like I found out there is only a small handful of Bosch Certified rebuilders and the rest are just vendors selling wares from these rebuilders.

LOL< that explains why my new pump came from Illinois, NOT Utah! Which worked out for me great, saved a day on shipping! Why does it take twice as long to ship to Nebraska from the west coast, as it does from the east? :shrug::shrug:

Turns out after a mess of trouble shooting for the Thoroughbred guys they had me send the pump back to the pump shop in Illinois and yep it was a faulty pump. The guys at TB were pretty helpful in everything and are actually going to recoup some labor costs for me. I don't know what the best route is for a vp swap. Thanks for the posts and inputs on this issue.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Owner

I was thinking of using Thoroughbred for a re-man when the time comes. Did anyone ever get a list together of who rebuilds there own VP44? Don't wanna do this!:spend::spend::spend: Dave

Here is the small list of Bosch Rebuilders with a Bosch 815 test stand in house. Very expensive machine... http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/25-fuel-system/247-bosch-certified-vp44-injection-pump-rebuilders

I can tell you I got mine from Diesel Auto Power and have been really happy. I got the IP and FRRP for $1260 delivered. God forbid I have to do it again, I would buy from them again. Great customer service and fast shipping. Not a certified rebuilder but my pump has about 8k on it and I am very satisfied.