• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tires: Treadwright

Rogan

I've been needing tires on my dually for awhile. When I got stuck (saturday) in the wet grass, spun, but didn't tear up the yard, I knew I had issues. Later that day, towing my 20ft enclosed down the 2-lane back roads, I was traveling about 15mph. Went to pass the bicycle while climbing a slight grade, I added throttle and spun the tires with ease..

Now, these tires (Firestone Transforce AT, 235/85-16) aren't bald, by any stretch, but they are getting close to their end of life cycle..

I decided to look for tires. My sizes were 215/85-16, 235/85-16, or 245/85-16.

I searched and searched, and 6 tires seemed to average about $1000 or so, shipped. Locally, that figure was higher.

I did about 6hrs of combined research on the Treadwrights. I also checked the state laws on re-treads for the steer axle, and it's legal here, with exception to commercial vehicles.

I spoke with someone at Treadwright, and they said that I could expect 40-60k out of a set, provided I stayed diligent with rotation and pressure, as well as alignment.

I couldn't find much in the way of "negative" with these. So, I bit the bullet on a set (6) of 245/75-16 Warden A/Ts (E). I'm hoping they'll be here this week. I'll definitely keep you guys posted on how these turn out.

I did not get the B2B style.

The tires ran $90 each, $540 for the set of six, and $144 shipping. Total was $648.48 delivered.

Posted Image

I have treadwrights and am perfectly happy with them. I'm getting some slight cracking on the sidewalls but it doesn't look like anything detrimental. I'll definitely be getting them again considering the price and all.

• Like 1

I have seen several folks here in the past talking of these and some that purchased them. I would be interested in hearing what kind of mileage they were getting out of them. Maybe some others of them might post up how they are working out. The price is great if the mileage is working out.

You'll love them, without a doubt.They're a bargain, and good too. At least 10 sets among my friends including low pressure off road use and tow rig use and ONE issue through that all, which was very quickly remedied at no out of pocket expense.

• Like 2

I've run about 40-50k on mine, but you have to remember, I'm STUCK 50% of the time, or trying to get out. I've used up about 4 sets by now. My situation is 'a sharp stick, or piece of buried iron' will KILL these tires just as fast as a $275 tire! I am a cheapskate. :thumbup2: When you get yours, you will see a big warning label that says KEEP THESE TIRES AIRED UP! They mean it too. I run 80 lbs in the dually. and 65 in the 2500. Most of my carcasses have been bf Goodrich all terrain, but the recent ones I put on the 3500 are Michelins. I had one start to delaminate, about 1000 miles in, and they replaced it. All they wanted was a couple of pics. (bubble on the tread). They claim they use the same rubber compound as what big rigs use. They get most of their carcasses from big fleet ( delivery truck fleets ) that don't necessarly buzz them down to the nub before they sell them to Treadwright. This year, they changed their policy on what carcasses a person can specify. They will make sure that your order has all the same.

I've run about 40-50k on mine, but you have to remember, I'm STUCK 50% of the time, or trying to get out. I've used up about 4 sets by now. My situation is 'a sharp stick, or piece of buried iron' will KILL these tires just as fast as a $275 tire! I am a cheapskate. :thumbup2: When you get yours, you will see a big warning label that says KEEP THESE TIRES AIRED UP! They mean it too. I run 80 lbs in the dually. and 65 in the 2500. Most of my carcasses have been bf Goodrich all terrain, but the recent ones I put on the 3500 are Michelins. I had one start to delaminate, about 1000 miles in, and they replaced it. All they wanted was a couple of pics. (bubble on the tread). They claim they use the same rubber compound as what big rigs use. They get most of their carcasses from big fleet ( delivery truck fleets ) that don't necessarly buzz them down to the nub before they sell them to Treadwright. This year, they changed their policy on what carcasses a person can specify. They will make sure that your order has all the same.

- - - Updated - - -

###

At 40k to 50k a set you have done well. How many mile do you drive a year? I typically drive 25k a year. for the most part on paved roads and some on the site. Probably 20k highway 4900 in town and 100 off road, very seldom getting stuck. I only tow the rv about 3k mile a year out of that The best I have ever seen is 65k out of a set of Michilens. They are over $1k a set now. I could justify buying the Tredwrights a $600 for a set and getting maybe 45K, but am dubious that would be the case. I cannot seem to get the mileage I see people claim. I have seen claims of up to 100k out of a set of Michilens. I have started reducing my empty air pressure to near 50 and 55psi and my current set of tire is doing well. I think i will see 50 nor 55k out of them. Some of my previous tires have been run at 80 psi to long and will wear the centers out prematurely. That is my fault.

I guess I am a little leary of the mileage claims I see.

• Owner

Comes back the weight versus what the tire is capable of holding. My rear axle weight is 2,860 pounds so I don't need 80 PSI or even 60 PSI for empty truck typically aired up to about 38-42 PSI on the rear axle. But since wood hauling season is on I left my tires aired up for now. What a rough ride... Ugh...

takes atoll on the body too. 80 psi will beat the snot out of you.

I'm at 105 all the way around right now. I really need to get un-lazy and bring them all down around 75! Just need to make sure my rear duals don't rub at that. My recap drives still total over 12k at 75psi.

I have found through my last several sets of 10 plys that I get really good miles out of them running 55 psi all around and am religious about airing up and down the back when towing, depending on the load I run either 65 or 70 psi and back down right away again. No matter the brand I always get at least 60-80k or more. My last stock factory BFG's went 85k but still had tread left, had a set of 285/75/16 BFG,s 8 ply on a 1/2 ton go well over 100K miles.

I'm at 105 all the way around right now. I really need to get un-lazy and bring them all down around 75! Just need to make sure my rear duals don't rub at that. My recap drives still total over 12k at 75psi.

105 would be be like Fred Flintstone wheels. Bam-Bam........Bam-Bam.

- - - Updated - - -

I have found through my last several sets of 10 plys that I get really good miles out of them running 55 psi all around and am religious about airing up and down the back when towing, depending on the load I run either 65 or 70 psi and back down right away again. No matter the brand I always get at least 60-80k or more. My last stock factory BFG's went 85k but still had tread left, had a set of 285/75/16 BFG,s 8 ply on a 1/2 ton go well over 100K miles.

I have been running at 55 psi on the front and 50 psi on the rear. Anything less in the front and it shows up in the steering. As long as I am not hauling anything the 50 in rear works pretty good. I now have a set of Cooper ATP's, 265/75/16 with 20k on them. The only appear about 30% gone. If I got 60k out of these I would be fairly happy. 80 would be nicer, but i have never seen that kind of mileage on any set I have purchased.

At 40k to 50k a set you have done well. How many mile do you drive a year? I typically drive 25k a year. for the most part on paved roads and some on the site. Probably 20k highway 4900 in town and 100 off road, very seldom getting stuck. I only tow the rv about 3k mile a year out of that The best I have ever seen is 65k out of a set of Michilens. They are over $1k a set now. I could justify buying the Tredwrights a $600 for a set and getting maybe 45K, but am dubious that would be the case. I cannot seem to get the mileage I see people claim. I have seen claims of up to 100k out of a set of Michilens. I have started reducing my empty air pressure to near 50 and 55psi and my current set of tire is doing well. I think i will see 50 nor 55k out of them. Some of my previous tires have been run at 80 psi to long and will wear the centers out prematurely. That is my fault. I guess I am a little leary of the mileage claims I see.

I truly believe the 'more expensive' the tire, the 'lighter footed' a person will be, at least the first year! Your mileage may vary... :lol: Here's another 'trick'.. Put 4 new tires on.. (the steering, and INSIDE duals). Then, when needed, buy 2 new fronts, and rotate those to the rear. I did this a month ago, and the truck really handles quite well! I don't have the pure steam roller effect while unloaded, it's not quite the white knuckle ride in wet weather.. (hydroplaning)... although it takes rain to make that possible :( My guess the worn outer tires are a tad shorter than the inside new ones, and full road contact is minimal unloaded. So, doing the math, I'll put new fronts on each fall, and rotate the old fronts back to the rear axle..... approx. 40-50 k per tire I need new ball joints so I didn't get my usual front/rear swap. Now, my question running 2 odd tires, (same tire, same size, just worn) is how well they will rotate with each other when one has a circumference of maybe 3 inches difference and the truck is fully loaded???

I truly believe the 'more expensive' the tire, the 'lighter footed' a person will be, at least the first year! Your mileage may vary... :lol: Here's another 'trick'.. Put 4 new tires on.. (the steering, and INSIDE duals). Then, when needed, buy 2 new fronts, and rotate those to the rear. I did this a month ago, and the truck really handles quite well! I don't have the pure steam roller effect while unloaded, it's not quite the white knuckle ride in wet weather.. (hydroplaning)... although it takes rain to make that possible :( My guess the worn outer tires are a tad shorter than the inside new ones, and full road contact is minimal unloaded. So, doing the math, I'll put new fronts on each fall, and rotate the old fronts back to the rear axle..... approx. 40-50 k per tire I need new ball joints so I didn't get my usual front/rear swap. Now, my question running 2 odd tires, (same tire, same size, just worn) is how well they will rotate with each other when one has a circumference of maybe 3 inches difference and the truck is fully loaded???

:think::think: I guess I could put the extra 2 in the bed till I wear the others out of just buy a dually.:moon: As far being nicer to a set of Michilens versus Coopers,high dollar vs medium dollar, I can wear them out equally as well. I have paid better attention to this set as far as air pressure goes, that is lowering the pressure after towing, and they seem to be wearing better. We'll see in the next several months.

Those look a lot like BFG AT's. On that note the transforce At's are built on a truck casing and can be recapped like the toyo M55. Trying to remember the place down in Chantilly. Alban tire maybe? they used to re-cap a lot of construction tires for me.

• Like 1