• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Injectors have increased the MPG's

I recently put in a set of new Bosch injectors with 50hp DDP nozzles on my gen 3 truck.Monday I drove to Vancouver Washington and set the cruise on 65mph. A total of 426 miles one way.The Smarty programmer was set to completely stock. My plan was to drive one way in stock format and then do the return trip with the smarty 30hp + tune.So Monday I set off on the trip and everything was going fine until I got to the Columbia River gourge. Got into a head wind until I hit Hood River. I have no idea what the wind speed was but it was enough to make my truck work harder to keep the cruise speed up. That messed up my plans for a nice fair weather test.Hand calculated the fill up in Vancouver and I got 19.3 for the trip up. The overhead read 20.3.That's the closest to reality that my overhead has read since I have had the truck. Last tank of fuel I used before I changed my injectors had the overhead reading 4.1 more mpgs than the hand calculated actual numbers.Came home from Vancouver today and this time in reverse I have the Smarty 30hp + tune with timing on 3, TM on stock, RP on mild and waste gate off. Cruise control on 65 and and no wind on the return trip.Hand calculated mileage was 21.5mpg. And the interesting thing was my overhead read 21.4. :hyper:Of course I am thinking that maybe the mpg will go higher as I play around more with the smarty tunes to see if there is one my truck likes even more. :pray:I am traveling to and from Corvallis in the next two weeks (approx 500 miles each way) and I am going to try to two different tunes to see if I can see some increase. Of course these are just a sampling of very basic tunes but I am going to try 60hp+ one way and then the 90hp+ on the return trip.Did I say that I was pretty happy with the results so far?

• Like 1

With my Smarty Revo SO6, I get the best combo of mileage, power, and cooler EGT's on SW5 default settings. I tow a lot and SW7 and SW9 are smokey and warm!!!! You might try bumping that Smarty up to level 5 and do a mileage run similar to what you just did. You may be surprised!!!:smart::thumbup2:

• Like 1

One of my problems is that there are so many choices with these tunes that it seems like it will take forever to try every option. :cry:

Thanks for your input. I will get there and try this one also.

- - - Updated - - -

Another site I have my hand in is the SmartyResource.Com site you might want to stop over and take to Brian or Dylan they should be able to help you out. :wink:

Didn't even know this site existed. Thanks for your input.:thumb1::thumb1:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was on a 500 mile trip trying to measure mpg's with my new injectors and the Smarty set on SW3. Lost my lift pump at about 250 miles into the trip and had to be towed in. That messed up the mpg test. After the repair I ran the last 250 miles and got 21.6mpg (hand calculated). I am still planning to go to the next higher smarty level for the trip home to see if there is any further improvement. This is not a true scientific test but I am seeing a nice increase in mpgs for my driving style.

• Like 1

Got home last night and traveled my last 500 mile leg with the cruise set on 65 and SW5 on the smarty (TM=3, TQ=stock, RP=2, WG=on). Got 22.05mpg (hand calculated). The mpg has been inching up as I change the tunes and I am still looking for the best combo of tunes with the new injectors to see what level I can get to.So far, I am up from my previous (prior to new injectors) all time best of 20.8.Hmmm... what other things can I do to keep pushing the mpg results? (drive slower than 65, free spin hubs, propane or menthanol injection ??)Got plenty of power but those mpg's are addictive! :smart:

• Staff

Good deal, those are great mileage reports. I want a set of DDP 50's, I just haven't been able to justify them yet since I don't have any issues. Very interesting about your overhead accuracy, it should have gone the opposite way. The ECM has to use less duration to get the same amount of fuel, so it's thinks less is being burned and thus reports much better mileage with injectors. (Did something get messed up with the tire size setting when you went back to stock?)Smarty tuning up thru SW5 should have the same error as stock, at least based on what I know about Smarty tunes from little birdies here and there...As for mileage you will get the best mileage on SW5 defaults, except RP1. I wouldn't tow on this setting thou, too much fuel for the stock turbo with any decent trailer, grade, elevation, or combo.

Very interesting about your overhead accuracy, it should have gone the opposite way. The ECM has to use less duration to get the same amount of fuel, so it's thinks less is being burned and thus reports much better mileage with injectors. (Did something get messed up with the tire size setting when you went back to stock?)

I never changed nor checked the tire settings as my speedo was reading the same as my GPS. All I did was change the catcher settings and the various parameters (TM, TQ etc). :think:

The overhead readout change is something I didn't understand either. Even when I was running SW5 and got my 22mpg results the overhead read 21.4. That is way more accuracy than I was ever getting on my stock injectors. In fact on my last tankful (with stock injectors) the overhead reported 4.1 mpg more than the actual calculated results.

About right. I bet your error is the same if you were to run stock software.

I honestly don't know that last time I had my truck on a "stock" tune!!!!! I probably posted here abut it, but I'm not gonna do a "search" for it either. My truck is great running as is with great mileage also!!

• Staff

I honestly don't know that last time I had my truck on a "stock" tune!!!!! I probably posted here abut it, but I'm not gonna do a "search" for it either. My truck is great running as is with great mileage also!!

I think the last time I ran mine for more than a few miles was 2008, but my point was the Smarty on SW5 and lower doesn't not attribute to the error.