• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Does a 12V really need 2-stroke?

In short, yes. Though we will not have devastating results from not using it like the next generation cummins, it does help the lift pump and all parts of the fuel system. I noticed a ticking in my lift pump one day, dumped in some 2-stroke and it fixed it right up. Another thing I noticed was it does not smoke as much in the morning with the 2-stroke. Having the timing up, the beast hates the cold and smokes like a freight train until the EGT's are over 400, but the other day, I started it and couple minutes later went back over and said uhhh, wheres the smoke! All I saw was a blue haze instead of a white cloud. I am not exactly sure how 2-stroke can have such an impact on smoke with a cold engine but the results were obvious. I also believe it helps with MPG, the added power is enough to keep you off the pedal just a little bit more keeping you over 20 as long as you are under 75mph.

• Owner

I think the part about white smoke being gone is the fact that most all winterized fuel have extremely high cetane to aid in starting but not really needed after the engine is running so with the 2 cycle oil its pulling the cetane level back down a bit and reducing the white smoke effect. I got simular results too...

The 2 cycle oil in the fuel is awesome. I used to add Lucas fuel treatment but now I'm just going to use 2 cycle year round and no Lucas. I had the Lucas in my truck a few weeks back when my lift pump failed and I didn't lose my VP44 like I had heard was quite common at the same time so yes I am a firm believer that the Lucas saved it and 2 cycle will be even better than the Lucas.

I have seen no advantage to 2 stroke oil in my 12v's tank at all and it picked absolutely zero up for power in the dyno runs we did with it when the 2-stroke oil craze hit a year or so ago.The truck gets the same milage with or without the addition of 2-stroke oil and I have stopped using it all together. I had a chat with the gentleman who built my custom P-Pumps/injectors for my truck about the use of 2-stroke later after I quit using it and his response was to not use any at all.Told me that it was just another case of old school thoughts,like the transmission fluid injector cleaning ideas from back then,and that the use would of the oil would do more harm than good.I have never used it since and have had no issues at all......Andy

• Owner

Actually the concept was for the Vp44 pumps which were failing at a high rate even back in early years of the 2nd Gen's 24Vs. But after running 2 cycle for 75K Miles and pulled my stock injectors. They looked good just light coating of black soot. Nice part is my VP44 has over 110K miles and still going...:biggrin:

Actually the concept was for the Vp44 pumps which were failing at a high rate even back in early years of the 2nd Gen's 24Vs. But after running 2 cycle for 75K Miles and pulled my stock injectors. They looked good just light coating of black soot. Nice part is my VP44 has over 110K miles and still going...:biggrin:

I'm not nearly as worried about the injectors with that little 2cycle in the mix vs. loosing a VP44. Funny on my keyboard the 4 key when you hit shift is $, as in VP$$.

Doesn't hurt but is it necessary thats the long ongoing debate. as for vp44 there are a lot of different failures that can occur with them, mostly is early ones had wrong metal compatabilities inside and then the electronics are an issue and lastly is the lack of lube pressure from bad lift pumps none of which any amount of extra lube will help save it.:burnout2: Jeff 929 I LOVE your avatar...........I have never been able to stomach McD's food and I have an Iron gut..........

Edited by Wild and Free

I run it whenever I get a chance to get it. I run B20 also but rarely since it costs 20 cents more than regular.

what...in OK i think it is a law, Walmart has to be within so many miles of towns with population over 1100. :lmao: since i started using it. i have only had to fill once without(because i was lazy and time was tight). i don't know of any station in OKC or TULSA that sells bio. a lot sell offroad and kerosene.