• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Keystone, no good!

:moon:

I'm not particularly fond of the RV dealer nor 'am I fond of the manufacturer. My rant goes out this time, to the manufacturer!

Since my purchase of my NEW 5th wheel toyhauler, I have had many headaches that I should not have ever had to deal with this early in the game! I will be contacting them tomorrow and talking to their customer relations and at the very least giving them a piece of my mind about their QUALITY CONTROL.

I have since had a slew of problems arise since my purchase of the trailer. I will name a few:

- A hydraulic landing jack leaking

- Awnings defective, BOTH, they need to be replaced.

- Slideouts, panel no longer works to operate them!

- FULL-walk on roof flex's and interior trim shows it.

- Happijac bunkrails, anchors stripped out.

- Hide-a-bed couch, arm rest buckled because its inferorially stapled together.

These are just to name a few off the top of my head that I have had to deal with. Some have been addressed by the RV dealer I bought the trailer from. Others still need to be addressed and fixed.

My main qualm overall, is sure most of these things will eventually be fixed under warranty. Yet, I have to take time out MY life to get these fixed at an qualified Keystone dealer. Which means, I have to take it to someone one day on my weekend, they will have to take it for the day, record all the problems. THEN once I can take it in again, I have to once again give it to them for a few days to get the problems fixed!

So, with that being said, when these repairs, etc. have to occur, I will be out a place to stay. Why should I have to pay for a hotel room on my own dime for their lack of quality? If it was not good to put in, in the first place, then why did you do it in the first place!

If I were to ever consider buying another trailer from someone, my vote would not be for Keystone... We shall see what they will be willing to do in making it right for me!

• Owner

That is one of the reasons I bought a used RV and not new. Just like when I bought a new truck I been back down to the dealer three time to fix warranty issues (Water Pump, Pinion Seal, and VP44) So I didn't want to even consider buying a new RV because of this issue. But now my utility trailer I did buy new because I didn't want to deal with hunting for a utility trailer that was abused. So there is a place for everything but its really common so see new owners of RV do exactly want your doing is complaining about there new RV because of all the issues. I will say it smarter to not live and a RV till you gotten at least a year of just weekend trip to debug the new RV. Like I said it really common to see several issues or complaints of manufacture quality. :rolleyes:

That is one of the reasons I bought a used RV and not new. Just like when I bought a new truck I been back down to the dealer three time to fix warranty issues (Water Pump, Pinion Seal, and VP44) So I didn't want to even consider buying a new RV because of this issue. But now my utility trailer I did buy new because I didn't want to deal with hunting for a utility trailer that was abused. So there is a place for everything but its really common so see new owners of RV do exactly want your doing is complaining about there new RV because of all the issues.

I will say it smarter to not live and a RV till you gotten at least a year of just weekend trip to debug the new RV. Like I said it really common to see several issues or complaints of manufacture quality. :rolleyes:

So, I should stop complaining? :think:

- - - Updated - - -

Hex, have you explained your living situation to them? At the least they should offer you a loaner to pick up while they are fixing the problems on yours. Hopefully you get everything resolved.

I was told by the dealer, after the fact that I should not tell them I'm fulltiming in it. As they will be prone to deny me any warranty work. Yet, I have lived in it maybe a full 2 months. If this is how much gives out after 2 months, I don't wanna see what can happen over its whole life! :banghead:

The other problem is, I've got alot of posessions in the trailer. I can't just up and leave it, per se. Packing a duffle bag for a night or two to stay in a hotel room is easier to do.

Heck, maybe I can get them to take it back and I'll just start over! haha!

agreed on the buying a used trailer. mine is, but i've had a new ArticFox in the past, only problem i've had was the screws on the cabnits comming loose. other than that after 5 year of ownership no problems. the 5er i have now was an ex lived in one. it was stationarry. it has nice counter tops nice burber carpet, and everything works.SO glad to not have the payment and issues with a new trailer. i'm sorry to hear of your troubles.

All I'm trying to accomplish by this thread is to warn others about the quality control of keystone. But, maybe I've spoken too soon and its probably all RV manufacturers that have this problem with new RV's...

Regardless, I purchased a new TH because I wanted new. I did not want problems, I wanted NEW. Where I would not have to worry about going through a trailer with a fine tooth comb worrying about what is good or bad. I guess I did not avoid that problem..

There were too many factors in influencing my decision on the trailer. I don't think I would have been able to really go any other route.

• Owner

I wanted NEW. Where I would not have to worry about going through a trailer with a fine tooth comb worrying about what is good or bad.

Actually its kind of backwards... Used trailers typically have no issues because the previous owners dealt with them. Then new trailer typically 80-90% of new trailer owners show up over on the RV forums complaining about quality and workmanship. Then you full-time usage of the RV is not normal because the definition of RV is a part-time dwelling not a full-time. So lot of RV manufactures tend to look down on the full time usage. Like I said before my used Jayco was in excellent condition everything worked just a few minor issues. But I've never looked back... :wink:

:moon:I suppose that getting into the RV business is a profitable way to make sub-par product... If I did not live in this thing full-time, there is no way I or anyone I know that could ever afford something like this for part-timing for camping, etc...The point is, I put myself into a good amount of debt for it, I want my moneys worth! I'm not gonna let it slide and pay for something that I'm sure I could have done just as well or better.:spend:

• Owner

Well all I can say is contact a local dealer and see what they are willing to do to make it right. I would document everything and take photos of all problems. Then contact the dealer and and see what he's willing to do. If they are not willing to play ball then you could contact the main office and see what they are willing to do. But most of all keep your calm going don't let them get under your skin. Even back with my 1976 Dodge Motorhome I bought from my Dad back in 1994 he provided me with all the documentation. I found several time the motorhome was returned to the dealer with several issues from stereo speakers, to roof leak, water pump issues, etc. But by the time I bought it no biggy. Just enjoy life with my "New" used 1976 Dodge Jamboree Motorhome. Which I gladly traded in on the 2000 Jayco which I bought back in 2011. Once again a used unit without any issues.:shrug:

I know nothing about rv's in general, but I have to question the logic here. Buying new, nobody has ever slept in it, abused it, drug it all over gods creation, etc. If there are any problems, you have a warranty to cover your tail. Now say you buy a used model all the previous mentioned is up in the air, the problems could be 10 fold from shoddy maintenance and lack of care. On another forum a guy just posted a picture of his not very old camper he just purchased. The previous owner did not keep up on the roof, it developed leaks and literally rotted the entire back wall out. What started out as a simple repair he ended up ripping the entire rear of the rv apart to replace the structure. Like buying a vehicle you have to choose carefully but there are lot's of unknowns involved as well.I've never been in favor of purchasing anything new simply because it's hard for me to justify the cost, and I hate going into debt if I don't absolutely have to. The best deals out there are generally in The 3 to 5 year old range but buying new certainly does have it's advantages if you can afford it. In your case Hex, I understand your dissapointment and I sure hope they rectify it for you.

Being a full timer like you are Hex, I understand the frustration. If you have to take it in you are pretty well screwed since you live in it. I personally never liked the idea of turning my house and my possessions over to a bunch of folks I dont know and give them free range of it all. I have been pretty lucky thru 2 new ones of not having to do that. Some things I just fixed my self because it was easier. Never had the flood of stuff you are seeing. You are right about what you heard about warranties and full timing. Full timing will cut a warranty near in half. I believe it is spelled out in the warranty of my current one. I would have to pull it out and check. Sorry for all your trouble HEX, I hope you get it worked out. If I ever do get another it might be new or not, But since i pretty well travel alone now it will be smaller and lighter. Just dont need all the room.