• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What will make the nv4500 clunk/kick on deceleration?

Although it's a bit of a moot point as the tranny has packed it in and will need a replacement. I'm not the person to do my own rebuild, so it's buying a reman or going to the local shop. I'd love to know what causes the situation I experienced. Was coming down a long grade off a mountain pass in BC and the tranny began to clunk. Four mountain passes later, it was toast. The final symptoms were a progression from clunking on deceleration to clunking on acceleration. Then, grinding, then, no gears. Towed it home and now trying to figure out what to do next. Be nice to know how much damage I did and if I'm better off with buying a reman or getting it rebuilt locally. Thinking about things like a fully splined main shaft and a fix for the fifth gear in either event.Any knowledge appreciated.

I'd bet you will find your countershaft or input shaft bearings went away from low or poor quality lube... and the spun bearing/s which ate the case... as for the 'ultimate' cause.... give more info please. Miles, usage, maintenance, horsepower put through it...

do you happen to remember roughly how much it set you back?

I think it was around $400, including a new countershaft and gear. I replaced the bearings, seals, and a couple odds/ends. All my synchros and such were fine, so I just reused them.

• 2 weeks later...