• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

EGT gauge, again!

Alright, so I'm at a loss here. Well, maybe not entirely. I have a theory! :smart:So, the other day I was coming home from work and noticed the EGT gauge was reading abnormally low. Like less than 200 while driving. I knew something was funky. But, I also shrugged it off after as I figured maybe it was from decelerating.Well, last night I was driving again and I could not get the temp to read higher than 250. WTF! :banghead:I replaced the thermocouple 2 summers ago! Even made a thread about it! Have not touched it since than and cannot even begin to think what could be doing it. The gauge, maybe?Then I tested my theory. I got on the freeway to go to my destination, goosed it! Did not have to go very far though... Got nothing! Hmm...Okay, so after, I head back home. Then it starts working fine again and reading what I would believe to be the right temps. :mad:What the heck? What gives? It worries me a little as I wonder if I'am even showing the right temps, now? My theory was that since I have been doing alot of short driving to and from work that it has a buildup of soot. So I thought that if I goosed it on the freeway, I could burn it off and the probe could read accurately again. This is assuming soot is a type of insulator?Other then that, I've got nothing. I have no idea why its doing what its doing. Is it time for a new gauge? Its a dipricol...

• 4 weeks later...

Alright fellas, I took a look at the gauge and probe a while back. Pulled up a chart and tested the probe. Put a flame to the probe, looked at the EGT gauge and measured voltage. Voltage showed that it correlated to be within 25 degrees of actual temp. I burnt the soot off the probe and it was fine until about a week ago. Thankfully I think it worked fine pulling the trailer home.Did not want to get caught with my pants down so I broke down and shelled out the cash for a new EGT gauge. Got another Isspro ev2. Even though it is not the prized dipricol gauge that everyone has loved, it is refreshing to have!Much brighter than the dipricol and ALOT more sensitive to the temps. It kind of scares me a little as I may have been pushing the truck more than I thought... I dunno how hard though as it seems to run fine. I know my mileage has taken a dive, but if that is the only thing, then you would not think piston rings or the like, right?I had the comp on 5x5 and let her rip! When I hit OD I think, it will just take off from under you! But there is a spike in EGT's to about 1300 degrees momentarily. I never seen that with the old dipricol!Anyways, I think eventually the fuel and boost gauge will be next! I just wish they could be mechanical instead of electrical senders...

You can get mechanical fuel pressure and boost gauges! For fuel gauges a quick search on Google gave me about 1,480,000 pages and a boost gauge about 3,290,000 pages.

:lol::moon: <--:smart: Smart@$$! Hmm, I'll look into it more. I coulda sworn I did not see any Ev2 mechanicals...