• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Electric Fans?

Do you know of anybody that has switched over to running an electric fan or fans on their CTD yet? I think that will be another project that I will put on my list for spring or summer. It's gotta be better than swinging that big fan around. I used to take the fan right off of my gasser trucks in the winter for a couple of months at a time. They are alot quieter and and have better throttle response without a fan in the winter plus they heat up better, as long as you don't have too much city stop and go driving. I believe the Derale fan company sells fans that have a built in adjustable thermostat for their fans now but I know for sure that Derale sells a kit with a coolant sensor and a potentiometer [$44.95] to adjust the temp that the electric fan kicks on at [ like the one that I have on my race car]. Actually for the price that is a cheap fix for any car with an electric fan that has "issues" and doesn't want to work anymore because of a wiring or sensor problem.

Hello

I have electric on my 02.I did a lot of research in the design of my system.You could buy the flex-a-light 262 twin fan rated @ I believ 5500CFM.If you read application information the 262 system is not rated for loades over I think 18000lbs and it cost around 600$$$. Aftermarket should increas OE performance not reduce it IMO.My system uses 1-18" Ford Lincoln Mark VIII 2 spd. electric fan about 45.00 W/O shipping e-bay

1-16" Ford Taurus electric 2spd. " " " 35.00 " " "

2-fan control kits from dc control at sales@dccontrol.com around 80.00 each

2-fuse block 4-8 gauge w/ MIDI 60amp fuse 13.00 for both e-bay

misc. wire and connectors 20.00

18" mounts on passenger side,16" mounts on drivers side.

So for around 330$$ I have a varyable system that has a capacity around 7000CFM.

Note: this is not a direct fit you will have to cut and rework the shrouds on both fans.You also have to build custom mount for winshield washer tank, took me about 1/2 hour once i figured how I was going to do it.You will have to relocate radiator reseve tank.Hope this helps. Tony

Hello

I have electric on my 02.I did a lot of research in the design of my system.You could buy the flex-a-light 262 twin fan rated @ I believ 5500CFM.If you read application information the 262 system is not rated for loades over I think 18000lbs and it cost around 600$$$. Aftermarket should increas OE performance not reduce it IMO.My system uses 1-18" Ford Lincoln Mark VIII 2 spd. electric fan about 45.00 W/O shipping e-bay

1-16" Ford Taurus electric 2spd. " " " 35.00 " " "

2-fan control kits from dc control at sales@dccontrol.com around 80.00 each

2-fuse block 4-8 gauge w/ MIDI 60amp fuse 13.00 for both e-bay

misc. wire and connectors 20.00

18" mounts on passenger side,16" mounts on drivers side.

So for around 330$$ I have a varyable system that has a capacity around 7000CFM.

Note: this is not a direct fit you will have to cut and rework the shrouds on both fans.You also have to build custom mount for winshield washer tank, took me about 1/2 hour once i figured how I was going to do it.You will have to relocate radiator reseve tank.Hope this helps. Tony

You got any pics of this? I leave my fan off all year and put it back on for trailers. Electric would be nice.

Did you notice any difference in throttle response with the fan off? It must be quieter too. A pic of the electric ones would be nice for sure. I know Horton sells a fan clutch setup but it would surely cost more than the electric setup plus taking the fan off the water pump will probably help it to last longer too. One thing about this site is that there sure is alot of input on tips and tricks from the members as far as what mods or repairs that they did.

Edited by Racer Dan

Yeah, in the morning when the clutch is freezing the fan is so loud, without it, the engine sounds the same cold or warm. Oh, throttle response, naw I didn't notice anything. Engine has too much power to notice :lol3:

Here is a link to the install of my Flex-a-Lite 262's that we did back in 2007.They have been ever since and have worked flawlessly without any issues at all.I did not see a huge MPG difference like they claim nor did I gain alot of HP on the jet but neither was why I installed them.They were installed for a different look for that years show season and I have been very happy and impressed with them.Its in the winter months they actually shine the brighest as the warm up times go down significantly and makes driving in sub-zero temps alot nicer. IF I had it to do over again,and I will as I have a new set of the 262's here to reinstall,I will have the shroud powder coated instead of polished as its tough to keep nice for show season.The new set I have I took apart and have sent the shroud out to have clear powder coated so they will only need wiped off for shows.After winter I will swap them out and sell the old set as I am trying to pay more attention to detail for show season......Andy http://picasaweb.google.com/MDTDCTDR/FlexALiteFanInstallation#

It would be interesting to see how many horsepower that it takes to turn a stock shrouded fan mounted in front of a radiator at 1,750-2,000 RPM. I guess if I hooked up a 5 or 10 HP electric motor to the fan 1:1 ratio that would tell the story pretty fast. Another project for another day...........

I know Horton sells a fan clutch setup but it would surely cost more than the electric setup plus taking the fan off the water pump will probably help it to last longer too.

Hortons are expensive and heavy, and a heads up... the fan doesn't mount to the water pump on a cummins.

Here is a link to the install of my Flex-a-Lite 262's that we did back in 2007.They have been ever since and have worked flawlessly without any issues at all.I did not see a huge MPG difference like they claim nor did I gain alot of HP on the jet but neither was why I installed them.They were installed for a different look for that years show season and I have been very happy and impressed with them.Its in the winter months they actually shine the brighest as the warm up times go down significantly and makes driving in sub-zero temps alot nicer. IF I had it to do over again,and I will as I have a new set of the 262's here to reinstall,I will have the shroud powder coated instead of polished as its tough to keep nice for show season.The new set I have I took apart and have sent the shroud out to have clear powder coated so they will only need wiped off for shows.After winter I will swap them out and sell the old set as I am trying to pay more attention to detail for show season......Andy http://picasaweb.google.com/MDTDCTDR/FlexALiteFanInstallation#

Andy, that is a VERY SHARP looking setup! :thumbsup: The powder coat finish to match the underhood color theme is a great idea. The words that come to my mind are "that is the cat's @ss!" :cheers: Nice looking truck. Got an estimate of what the powder coat would cost?

Hortons are expensive and heavy

Horton does not even make their fan assembly for the Dodge/Cummins truck anymore at all.They make a few of the parts but the complete assembly was dropped due to lack of sales along time ago. Racer Dan... I am not sure what the difference between the fans for hp would be if you could get the factory fan in full lock-up.I know this I seen a small gain in power(7hp)on the dyno with the Flex-A-Lites over the factory fan but without being able to have the factory fan in full lock-up HP gains or claim to them to me is all just hype.Flex-A-Lite claims 27hp but I am at a loss at how they came up with the number and have emailed them about with no reply. As for the powder coat and cost... I dropped the shroud off to have it done and the guy who runs the shop wants to do it in his Bright Red like the rest of the underhood parts he has done for me as he thinks it will really POP.So they will be done in red and his cost is reasonable for a part that comes in prepped already and it will only cost me $30 to have the shroud done.The clear powder coat is what we use on all of our sprint car wheels to aid with the dirt not sticking to the wheels when the car is raced.I have also done it to my Eagle Alloy's that are on my truck and all you need to do is rinse them off and the dirt comes right off and there is no more need to polish them at all and salt does not affect them at all..........Andy P.S.-Thanks for the compliment on the truck.

Quite a few guys around here that take the fans off and never put them back on. But we have lots of open roads, the only issue most claim is lack of AC while town driving and higher auto tranny temps in town also. But most don't do enough town driving fo it to bother anything.

• Owner

I rarely even hear the fan lock up unless i'm hauling heavy loads of firewood and heading up hill... But the funny part is yes the electric fan create no load for the time there off and so does the stock clutch fan (virtually minor loading) but once the both lock up or come on the load is the same basically because yes the electric fans are not tie direct to the crank but the load is placed on the alternator... Because like in the winter time with my winter front on I can take a old hose and stop the fan. It basically free wheeling in the clutch...

Maybe the batteries share a little of the load while the fans are powered up. I would just as soon take the fan off the engine and at the same time take the load off of the water pump bearing. The other nice part with the electric fans is if you are in rush hour traffic that the fan or fans will pull at 100% capacity to help the a/c keep up a little better. There may even be room to also put a pusher fan on the front just behind the grill. This forum is cool because alot of people have ideas for projects and also alot of past experience for input.

I would just as soon take the fan off the engine and at the same time take the load off of the water pump bearing.

Second time for this................. The fan doesn't mount on the water pump on a cummins like a gasser does. The water pump is belt driven and is just below and right of the alternator 'looking at it from the front' and is only held on with 2 bolts and an o-ring.

Here you go RacerDan :thumbsup: http://forum.mopar1973man.com/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=237 If you look up and to the left of the fan pulley, you see three bolts, that is the mount for the fan pulley, take the three bolts out and the whole mount comes off then you can get to the other timing cover bolts that the fan pulley covers up. So the only thing to wear out is the bearings in that pulley that make it spin freely.

Thanks I saved a copy of that pic too. I wonder how much a basic rebuilt costs on these B series engines? Sooner or later all of these engines will need a rebuild.

There is no set rebuild cost, too many variables. Most rebuilds come as a result of broken or worn rings bad injector causing melted piston ect which all leads to a scored bore. so machining can contribute to rebuild cost, these engines are designed to do partial rebuilds as they are internally balanced and CAN run different sized pistons in the engine. Or you can bore and sleeve the hole ther is no set way to fix these engines which is the beauty of them.