• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lack of power

Ok, I have one... Anyone have an idea why my truck randomly stalled last night? Gave it a few moments and it started back up ran great the rest of the night.... Did notice when I left the house and crossed the intersection it didn't seem to have the oomph ) it normally does. Normally (in the short timed I have had the truck) you give it a little fuel and he runs like a scalded dog... after the restart it was better but not perfect, but after we got where we were going and the truck sat for a couple of hours, he was himself again on the drive home... Any suggestions???

Ok, I have one... Anyone have an idea why my truck randomly stalled last night? Gave it a few moments and it started back up ran great the rest of the night.... Did notice when I left the house and crossed the intersection it didn't seem to have the oomph ) it normally does. Normally (in the short timed I have had the truck) you give it a little fuel and he runs like a scalded dog... after the restart it was better but not perfect, but after we got where we were going and the truck sat for a couple of hours, he was himself again on the drive home... Any suggestions???

This should be moved to the "2nd Gen 12V" forum for more exposure I believe. ISX is the 12V guy here.:smart:

Tracy, when your truck stalled did it sputter out or just shut off? Either way, with the symptoms you describe I would check the rubber boot on the shut down solenoid. The linkage has been known to corrode when the boot is torn or split from age. What happens is the solenoid won't pull all the way up and the truck still runs but not real strong and it may have even dropped to where the truck shut off. Once you restarted it the plunger moved far enough to run like it is supposed to.Tom

• Like 1

I would suspect the battery cable as a fluke, IMO, since they'll run without batteries, altogether.

That is true, Rick, but they still need electicity to pull the solenoid up and to hold it.If they loose power the solenoid will drop and shut the truck off. If one battery connection was suspect, what is the other battery doing?

Will do... Also going to change the fuel filter...Who knows when the last owner did that important service... I will tackle that this weekend... Found out today that I have a hairline crack in my tail housing that will be replaced tomorrow... Upside.. I bartered a 12 pack of beer for a mount and balance for my spare :hyper:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having similar problems with my truck. Just a note: On the drivers side battery ck the pos connections if I remember correctly a blue wire. ck for corrosion. That is power wire to the shut down solenoid relay. If the solenoid is the issue you could start there.