• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Frantz filter for transmission

I'm wondering what the cleanest way to tap into the transmission fluid is? Deborah sent me the owners manual for a transmission filter and it shows an inny and outy fitting right next to each other for the Trans line. But shows it in a rubber line. Is there a way to do it with fittings that go into the solid line? Or should I modify the short piece of solid line and rubber coupler from rock auto? Seems that I'll need to cut into the existing solid like anyway to install the line with Trans temp sensor output fitting. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I would like to know also, why add another trans filter ? In the past I was considering adding one, but after discussion with a Tim Holt out of texas, (who has over 20 years working on them) and who specializes in Dodge, Chevy and Ford transmissions, said even if the added filter has a bypass, it can deprive the trans oil flow and pressure and have you taking a trip to the shop for major repairs. If you change the oil and filter when due, adjust the bands when needed, you'll have no problems and no extra cost. Even the manufactures have stop the idea of adding anything besides the basic filter, and the trans oil is one of the highest cleaning fluids ever for auto trans. He said if anyone wants an extra filter for their automatic trans, they should modify the pan by pulling the oil from the pan with an additional pump, through a filter and back into the pan again. Then you can filter without possibly depleting the flow your trans already has. But he says it's a lot of money for something not needed.Is it worth the risk ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had an interesting conversation with a Chrysler trans engineer recently about the new ATF+4 fluids. He conceded that the new transmissions primarily have longer service intervals due to the newer spec fluids. He also said it would be safe to push the 47 past the recommended intervals of 30k because that interval was based on ATF +3 specs. While I do value his opinion I'm not sure I'm completely ready to bet my transmission on him even though my 30k+ mile fluid looked very clean with minimal clutch material in the pan, so when I approach that mark again I will be sending in a sample to see where the fluid is at. Long story short, even at 30k intervals you are likely being very proactive.Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk