• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lift pump

Jim 5150

Stock lift pump runs for a minimum of 30 sec when key is turned to run without bumping starter. Noticed today after installing a new battery (passenger side was DEAD) that the lp runs faster but making noise like starting to cut out :ahhh: kinda like a ruff idling engine then after 15 20 seconds starts to smooth out. Is this a def sign lp is going out. Also taking a little longer to turn over then when I bought it. Thanks

• Staff

Check your battery connections that they are clean and bright. You should always replace both batteries if even only one was bad.When I still had the stock LP, mine used to do the sputter and then smooth out after only about 2 seconds. But it wouldn't run contineusly for the 25 seconds till I bumped the starter. Then after starting the engine it runs all the time. This the way it's designed.When just turning on the key it sometimes kicked on for just a split second, that was it till I bumped the starter. Then it would sputter around for about 2 seconds, Sounded like the fuel flow was sort of bouncing around all the fuel line fittings and bends, till it smoothed out just 2 seconds later.I would suspect the stock lift pump above all else since they are not reliable. Then getting rid of the poor stock fuel lines as they make the pumps work too hard with poor flow.

@ Jag1 .The other battery was just over a year old . The battery that was bad looked like it was original with the truck :wow:. The battery that i didnt replace tested and was testing like new. the lift pump never ran that long when turned to on until I put a smarty jr on it. I took the smarty off and it still runs for 30 + sec and my Edge cs still is reading the POD. (The smarty was updated and is showing unlocked) The lp just sounds like hell for the first 15 seconds then smooths out. I drained the filter canister and pulled the filter then hit the key. Te canister filled in about 3 to 4 seconds.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it possible that the lp runs longer cause its weak??:shrug:

• Staff

i hear ya' on the batteries. When you bump the starter it should run the lift pump for 25 or 30 seconds.Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If so, what lis it showing? Most likely you have a bad lift pump, but, I'd be checking all the L/P connections also.l/p should run all the time when the engine is running. 30 seconds or so when you do the starter bump and no engine start.

FLOW TEST.

1. Remove the fuel pump supply banjo fitting from the fuel injection pump.

2. Install Miller Tool #9014 fuel system test fitting into the fuel injection pump.

3. Connect one end of a section of fuel hose to the test fitting.

4. Put the other end of the fuel hose into an empty fuel container.

5. Use the scan tool to actuate the fuel lift pump.

6. While the lift pump is running, move the fuel hose from the fuel canister into a 1000ml graduated cylinder for 10

seconds.

7. Read and record the amount of fuel in the graduated cylinder after 10 seconds.

8. If you have more than 430ml in the graduated cylinder after 10 seconds, the test has successfully passed.

9. If you have less than 430ml of fuel in the graduated cylinder, inspect the fuel supply line from the fuel tank to the

fuel filter housing and the fuel supply line between the fuel filter housing and the high pressure fuel pump for signs

of damage, replace as necessary. If no damage is found, replace the fuel filter and retest.

10.Verify the Screened Banjo Bolt at the outlet of the fuel filter is free of debris. If debris is found, rinse screen with

water, blow dry and reinstall. Retest vehicle. If flow meets specification then trace back the source of debris, if flow

is still below spec repair damaged component.

@ jag1 It runs for 30 plus seconds without bumping the starter. @ Mopartech. can i get tool 9014 from a shop or do I have to order off line

- - - Updated - - -

Can I just do the flow test by pulling the filter and draining the housing then leave the drain valve open and messure that way?????

The running for 30 seconds is normal in cold weather, and was a software update that the SJR applied to your truck. The rough sound could just be the pump priming and building pressure.

I'd have to agree. My Walbro changes sound as the pressure builds..............and if the grid heater goes off prior to starting. Once it's equalized, it runs for the 30 seconds or so until I start the truck.