• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck missing

I wish it was only 2%. Here we could have up to 10% state mandated bio. I have also ran B99 more than once also. It makes my truck run smoother, but the power and mileage are down slightly, my truck hazes a lot at an idle with it, and the exhaust stinks like you are burning cooking oil. You don't really notice the loss of power until you go back to diesel. I have not had any issues with water or plugging of my fuel filter as a result of running bio.

Not sure if you got your injectors or had time to work on your truck, but i think i'm getting closer on mine. Just read a whole bunch of info on troubleshooting vp44 fuel system at Blue Chip, going to do some tests soon and find out. if everything tests out good with all sensors then more likely case of surging without check engine light would be computer on vp. if that's the case i'm going to attempt fixing it myself before turning it in as a core, figure there is no warranty on the electrical crap anyway. Hope it's not the problem but sure feels that way.

if that's the case i'm going to attempt fixing it myself before turning it in as a core, figure there is no warranty on the electrical crap anyway.

Most of the time if any part of the pump is messed with, it will not be accepted as a good core. I wouldnt mess with it if I were you. Thats $400 that I really dont have to throw away.

I did get my injectors, I hope that is al it is, my pump is new and we pulled it and sent it back they checked it and said nothing wrong. It is suppose to not get out of the 20 here this week and my old bones cannot stand that, I won't need the truck till spring anyway,, Thanks to everyone for the response...

• 3 months later...

Finally starting to warm up here, cleaned all the grounds and sensors. Still need to adjust the valves, addded 911 and new fuel took the case 580 for a ride up the mountain, in 3rd gear at 2000 rpm runs great. Still havent taken it on the interstate for a hard pull in high gear with the rv, right now all seems to be doing good.

wanted to bring this thread back and let all interested know the status. Thanks again for all the input...

• Staff

mountaindan,

is it missfiring only at around 1800-2000? Or does it do that at ABOVE THE 1800/2000 RPM? Say, at 2700 rpm?

If it does, I'd say you got an air leak in the fuel system. Do the least expensive first bud.

I got injectors, on my 1st gen, never been cleaned, still running smooth at 400 K. Truck runs great

It was missing around 2200 which is about 63 mph, not sure it is a fuel leak it sit most of the winter and fired right up. I have never had the truck above 2500rpm. We are going to SC in may with the camper I will see how it runs then, hopefully it was just bad fuel. Thanks for the reply that is something to look at if the problem returns.

A little update on my truck. Not sure if you got to pull your camper after injector change and what the results were. But I decided to put in Draw Straw 5 in to my sending unit to cure 1/4 tank sucking air problems. I ended up taking my box off because of some rust I wanted to fix. And it was really easy only 6 bolts tail light wires and 3 screws for filler neck. Used 2 ratchet straps and engine hoist. Long story short return line for vp and injectors was bent on plastic part of it 8" down from quick connect. Maybe who owned truck before dropped tank and when putting it back didn't pay attention. It was bent at about 45 degree angle, so I don't think there was any fuel returning from vp and injectors for at least 4 years and 20k, I guess what my question is, would this cause missing with load on truck? and if so it maybe good idea to check your return line. I also jus got done adjusting valves and non of them were off more than 0.03, not sure if that's a lot or not. Got them set according to Moparman int 0.008 and exh 0.018. I didn't notice much change in doing valves, but after I unkinked my return line it seems to run a bit smother. haven't got a chance to tow yet. :2cents:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok another update, just got to tow with it and its doing same thing. Misses right at 19-2000 rpm. Got to say after un pinching return from injectors and vp it got a bit weaker. So I think I got one of them vps that is junk and not throwing any codes. I also cleaned injectors and adjusted valves, runs a bit smother but didn't help the missing issue. I'm leaning towards bad vp as I checked all sensors for voltage changes when I drive it. I'm guessing with a pitched return line my vp never got cooled off and fried electronics on top of it, but if that's the case it takes a while to kill one due to no return for cooling and lubrication, and if I didn't do my draw straw5 mod I'd never find out, and maybe change vp and kill it again. I guess it's a good idea to see once in a while if your return line is doing what it's supposed to. To mountaindan I would still love to hear from you if changing injectors fixed your problems.

Havent done anything withbthe truck as of yet, hopefully in the next couplee weeks. Tore my shoulder up and had tonhave surgery onit so it has been a slow year so far. We are goingbto myrtle beach next month with the rv so will find out then if it is any better.

Havent done anything withbthe truck as of yet, hopefully in the next couplee weeks. Tore my shoulder up and had tonhave surgery onit so it has been a slow year so far. We are goingbto myrtle beach next month with the rv so will find out then if it is any better.

I hope you feel better, health is your best wealth, I was told that long time ago by a wise man(my grandpa). Everything else is second. Except family.

• Like 1

Ok, I've posted this under different thread but just so it stays under truck misfire here it is again. I got 60hp injectors from DAP and got to tow last night, didn't tow very far and the highway I took was a little bumpy. But I believe it is fixed, it did have a little jerking going on but I think it was cracks in the road I was on. And I played with qwadzila and tried different levels that usually made it miss worse, it ran fine this time. Plus I had a volt meter on apps and there was no skip in volts it was smoove. There is only one other thing I did that might be part of it, my IAT sensor that I've been wanting to put 2.2ohm resistor in for a while to put it at 143f. Finally I stopped by RadioShack and got a PAC of 5 for $1.50, 1/4 watt, as soon as I plugged it in truck ran a slightly different tone, I'm going to ran a relay with 87 and 87a so I can toggle between iat sensor and resistor for cold starts and to see if that makes a difference in making a miss under load come back. Also I put a clear hose for fuel line before vp to see if I was sucking in air, and had it on my windshield, no air was present under any load on the motor. So if my problem is gone, then by cleaning injectors it doesn't really do much unless you had some major problems before, then it might help, but don't quote me on this as I'm not 100% sure if new injectors took care of it, I will post more after towing under all conditions. Also I think my old injectors had to have bigger nozzles because I was expecting to gain power but I think I lost a little,and turbo takes a bit longer to spool. but I don't think I'm going to waste any money on checking old ones out, especially if my miss is gone.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finaly took the truck with the camper for a 1000 mile run never missed at all. Alli have done is cleaned the MAP and grounds. Did get new injectors have not put them. I did get a 0237 code with the check engine light after about 250 miles, cleared the code and it never came back. Dont know if that would of been something to cause a slight miss or not. Thanks for all the help on here I am going to call all well for now.