• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What excuse do I have?

hex0rz

I have noticed something in the past few years. I have really come to like the cummins engine. But this dodge truck still seems to be something less desired for. I grew up around chevy's, so naturally I became accustomed to them. Yea, no vehicle manufacturer gets everything perfect, and I still maintain that if I could extract all the great points from each vehicle, I would have the vehicle closest to being perfect! But, considering I'm not a man made of money, I have to make due with the next best thing, improvising! :smart:Now, what excuse do I have? I'm not an older, wiser fella like some around here. I should still have plenty of spunk left in me considering I'm only 25, now. Wow... that really sunk in for a moment... Because of the nature of my work, I feel as though it has taken a good toll on me. I never had much of a problem when I was working different jobs that was not glazing. But since I've been back into it, it seems it does not take very much for me to start hurting. I'm concerned I have damaged something in my back, but without going to a doctor, there is no proof of knowing. I know my body tells me something is wrong, but at what extent...It seems like the only time I get relief my pain is if I'm doing something. I have to atleast be standing and walking. If I do more then that, it does not hurt as much. If I sit, does not matter it seems to be, I can start feeling my low back, hips and butt area at the legs start knotting up and aching.I have not been able to eat as much since when I eat I sit. It starts making me nauseated. I have now also been able to just bend over and stretch my back this way and now I can make my low back pop like that. I have never seen anyone else be able to do it and people tell me it sounds horrible to hear.Alright, so why did I bring up what I said in the first paragraph? Well, as I said, sitting of any type really does not feel good. So when I'm on a long drive, which is anything over 30 min. for me, :lol: I really do not want to drive anymore. I have noticed these dodge seats do not compare to what a seat feels like in a chevy. Seems the chevy seat has alot more lumbar support and helps posture. I also feel centered in the seat as well.Don't get me wrong, even sitting and driving in the chevy seat starts feeling terrible after a while. Just takes longer to get there. With the dodge seat, I do not feel as much lumbar support, posture is alright, but I also feel off-center. Like I favor the edge towards the door more than anything else. I guess thats why these seats always have the notorious tear on the side from all the wear. I've tried to call parts yards locally for the driver seat and thats just as hard to find as a good woman. Not as spendy as a woman, but still a good chunk of change.So, who here has any time-tested experience with anything of sorts for making these seats feel better? I have been considering a few things, but I can't afford to experiment alot. I was thinking about one of those forever comfy's that are seen on tv and whatnot, but alot of these as seen on tv things just don't sit all too well with me. I'm very leery about products like them as they feel like they are a fly by night sort of thing.So, who here also suffers like I do and has found something to make due? :shrug:

I have the lumbar support in the 3500, used to have it in the 1500 but when I changed the seats the new seats didn't have the lumbar support.. :doh: It does make a difference... My lower back is messed up and I can slip a disk just by moving the wrong way.... Just Drove 11 hours straight and my back didn't feel too bad, the shoulder on the other hand was on FIRE!!!!

Look at getting Laramie seats they have adjustable lumbar supports Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Hmm? Are you sure? Mine is a laramie slt and it does not have what you speak of...

I have a couple of good chiropractors on speed dial that can get me in within an hour of calling most days and I married a Massage therapist who has a chiropractor for and older sister but she lives several states away in Iowa. This is how I make due................

I suppose I was born in the wrong family and/or picked the wrong wife! :lol: I have found a couple good people around here in town. Chiro charges about $35 for a full body adjust and a masseuse was about $30/hr. Problem is, I'm a mess all over again in about a day or so!

I have the lumbar support in the 3500, used to have it in the 1500 but when I changed the seats the new seats didn't have the lumbar support.. :doh: It does make a difference... My lower back is messed up and I can slip a disk just by moving the wrong way.... Just Drove 11 hours straight and my back didn't feel too bad, the shoulder on the other hand was on FIRE!!!!

I really hope I never have to experience extreme back pain! Nothing fun in not being able to feel anything from the hips down from being numb!

• Owner

This is one of my weakness too. About once a year or so I typically tweak my back live the lower back pain or pinched nerve for at least a month. I'm just now about healed up from my last adventure. I've learn a few things. Don't use pain killers or anything like that. You body is giving you the pain message because you doing something to damage it more. You have to figure out another way of doing things or limit the amount of time that is painful. During these period I typically have to get a hot shower and do several minutes of stretching and twisting to get relief for the day. By the end of the day I'm sore and hurting again. So back in the hot shower and stretch again before bed. Back injuries take lots of time to heal.

Nothing fun in not being able to feel anything from the hips down from being numb!

That isn't good you might have to see a doctor at that rate...

I'm asking these so get some pertinent info, so don't take them the wrong way…...…………………………..Are you a big fat boy???? Does this run in your family???? Do you exercise??? Do you have a "beer gut"???As someone that for the last 25 years has worked with his head lower than his butt; I know a thing or three about sore/painful backs.

This is one of my weakness too. About once a year or so I typically tweak my back live the lower back pain or pinched nerve for at least a month. I'm just now about healed up from my last adventure. I've learn a few things. Don't use pain killers or anything like that. You body is giving you the pain message because you doing something to damage it more. You have to figure out another way of doing things or limit the amount of time that is painful. During these period I typically have to get a hot shower and do several minutes of stretching and twisting to get relief for the day. By the end of the day I'm sore and hurting again. So back in the hot shower and stretch again before bed. Back injuries take lots of time to heal.

I usually do not take painkillers. If it is, its just right before bed so I can sleep. I've been prescribed muscle relaxers and the painkillers have been long since gone. Now, I will just usually take a shot of something strong if it gets real bad. I'm not puking or gritting my teeth from pain, because I usually do my best to keep that from happening. Thankfully, the wife will give me a massage if I need it or take a hot shower, etc. The nature of glazing is an odd one. I admit, I'm guilty of not stretching before work. Employer would throw a fit it they saw me do that.. it would be a waste of time! ...not a "billable good." Some days you are not doing much physical work at all, others days thats all the day is made of. Packing glass, setting it, or installing steel loaded mullions. Heck, even non-loaded frames can be a bear as well.

I'm asking these so get some pertinent info, so don't take them the wrong way…...…………………………..Are you a big fat boy???? Does this run in your family???? Do you exercise??? Do you have a "beer gut"??? As someone that for the last 25 years has worked with his head lower than his butt; I know a thing or three about sore/painful backs.

Hahaha, like the word usage. I weighed myself recently, 193lbs. I did weigh 210lbs. So I dunno if one of the scales are off. Although, no one looks at me like I'm fat. They wonder where the weight is at! There is an aspect of obesity in my dads side of the family, diabetes on both my mom and dads. I do not have an exercise routine, but typical just' am doing physical things daily. No beer gut, haha. I think alot of is the job and ergonomics. Like I said glazing is a funky deal. I've known now for a while that I should get out of the trade. I've worked with a guy that was in his late 60's, came back out of retirement because he was bored and did some work with me. He did it all his life and he was shorter than me. Told me he lives in constant pain, everyday because he has nothing left in his back. Mostly all bone on bone. Told me to get out of the trade if I knew what was good for me. Ergonomics is a big part. As an individual, you can do the best you can to keep proper form, but the problem is, not only is a jobsite riddled with trip hazards and uneven in every way, the other guy on the other side of the glass makes a big problem too. If you got someone inexperienced working with you, they do not have as much form as you do and someone ends up compensating for it. As well, there can be some very awkward sets as well. Sometimes I have had to do some very funky things to set a piece of glass. So, by the time you do this trade for a few years, the cumulative effect of it all takes its toll, I suppose. We constantly try and think of new and better ways to make it easier, quicker, etc. But sometimes it just can't be avoided. ...I'm currently seeking different work. :lol:

Believe it or not, MOST of the back issues (slipped disk, ruptured disk, etc.) are because of the muscles in your stomach are not strong enough. I screwed my back up when I was 17 and a couple of years later I was working in a junk yard. Me and a co-worker loaded a 40' semi trailer with car rims BY HAND. I used to do a lot of work like that and was able to put a Chevy 350 block (stripped out) in the back of a pick up by myself. Yes I struggled some but did not have back problems again until I started driving for a living.

Believe it or not, MOST of the back issues (slipped disk, ruptured disk, etc.) are because of the muscles in your stomach are not strong enough. I screwed my back up when I was 17 and a couple of years later I was working in a junk yard. Me and a co-worker loaded a 40' semi trailer with car rims BY HAND. I used to do a lot of work like that and was able to put a Chevy 350 block (stripped out) in the back of a pick up by myself. Yes I struggled some but did not have back problems again until I started driving for a living.

...so what you're trying to say is, "I'm fat." :lol: Ehh, so I take it no one has anything to recommend making it more comfortable to sit in these seats. Except maybe reupholstering it in memory foam and gel. :lmao:

I weigh the same as when I graduated HS; 5'11" and 180lbs. But I'll tell you this……………..the weight is proportioned a bit differently than it was then!!!! I have more of a "spare tire" now around the waist……………………..but I'm also twice your age!!!I would agree MnTom……………..back problems can often be caused by weak stomach (core) muscles…………………which also leads to poor posture. Get on an exercise program to get fit……………..not buck up…………….but to get "fit"………………I think that may help you out some.

• Owner

Like myself I do a lot of sitting through the winter time in front of the computers. But I try to leave small jobs to do like splitting wood, stacking wood, maybe trimming trees, clearing hillside etc. I try to find small jobs to do that force me to keep moving. Other than that I tend to get the winter beer gut and head upwards of 235#'s. Yes.. Sad but true the last few winter taken there toll on me. But this winter I'm starting out at 205# and going to try and hold it. I typically lose the most weight during wood season, cutting, packing, loading, unloading, splitting, loading, stacking, etc. Like Dorkweed said Wood will heat you more than 3 times. But this is my method of keeping in shape to some degree.

i know all to well back and or joint pain. I was on a 32" ladder and had it collapse under me. ( no i'm not fat) i fell on my head and crushed a 1 gal can of lacquer. so, now i have a messed up C3-C4, along with lower compressed disk. i used chiropractors and pain killers for years untill one great person told me about [h=1]Glucosamine / Chondroitin[/h] OMG It's awesome. i have NO more joint and back problems for the better part of 3 years now. i used to tweek my back or through it out 4-5 times a year. not sense i've been taking this.however your results may very. just sayin worked for me and i'm only in my late 30's. I can now ride Motocross races and not be sore for a week afterwards. ( R.I.P Kurt) no more arm pump. no more tennis elbow. love that stuff.

I weigh the same as when I graduated HS; 5'11" and 180lbs. But I'll tell you this……………..the weight is proportioned a bit differently than it was then!!!! I have more of a "spare tire" now around the waist……………………..but I'm also twice your age!!!

I would agree MnTom……………..back problems can often be caused by weak stomach (core) muscles…………………which also leads to poor posture.

Get on an exercise program to get fit……………..not buck up…………….but to get "fit"………………I think that may help you out some.

I suppose we shall see. I've got a few things in the works... Hoping to make myself ready for wild-land firefighting this year if I strike out on other work.

I never said that........:whistle: I am like Dorkweed...... I hate gravity. :cry:

That makes 3 of us!

Like myself I do a lot of sitting through the winter time in front of the computers. But I try to leave small jobs to do like splitting wood, stacking wood, maybe trimming trees, clearing hillside etc. I try to find small jobs to do that force me to keep moving. Other than that I tend to get the winter beer gut and head upwards of 235#'s. Yes.. Sad but true the last few winter taken there toll on me. But this winter I'm starting out at 205# and going to try and hold it. I typically lose the most weight during wood season, cutting, packing, loading, unloading, splitting, loading, stacking, etc. Like Dorkweed said Wood will heat you more than 3 times. But this is my method of keeping in shape to some degree.

Winter has not been a terrible thing to me, yet. I do tend to eat more than summer months, but I do not notice a gain in much weight. Odd... But then again, I'm still young enough, my metabolism is helping, haha.

i know all to well back and or joint pain.

I was on a 32" ladder and had it collapse under me. ( no i'm not fat) i fell on my head and crushed a 1 gal can of lacquer. so, now i have a messed up C3-C4, along with lower compressed disk. i used chiropractors and pain killers for years untill one great person told me about

Glucosamine / Chondroitin

OMG It's awesome. i have NO more joint and back problems for the better part of 3 years now. i used to tweek my back or through it out 4-5 times a year. not sense i've been taking this.

however your results may very.

just sayin worked for me and i'm only in my late 30's.

I can now ride Motocross races and not be sore for a week afterwards. ( R.I.P Kurt) no more arm pump. no more tennis elbow. love that stuff.

I have heard of taking the supplement. Although, I was told or read that it did more harm than good so I stopped taking it.