• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anyone ever have a Frantz filter leak?

I saw some oil drips on the road when I wet to the post office this morning. Looked under my truck (just to make sure it wasn't me) and to my surprise I had a big puddle under my truck. Had about 40 miles since I changed paper. The clamp came loose and popped off and oil was coming out between the can and base. Limped home and tried to tighten the filter, but it seems that it had expanded with oil and pressure. Would not re-seal. So I installed a new roll and now seems to be fine. But now I'm paranoid about it starting to leak again on a long trip leg and pumping out all the oil. Any words of wisdom? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, don't own a Frantz filter unit, but when you did the last change, did you secure it properly ? Heck, I was shooting the bull with a friend once and didn't tighten a filter on my wife truck properly and when I started it up, it squirt oil everywhere.

Isn't it just paper ? Like a toilette roll ? If you put liquid in it, it should expand naturally once it's not contained by the container. So I would think that the canister loosen and the paper did what it normally does. If it's installed correctly, you should have no issues.

I saw some oil drips on the road when I wet to the post office this morning. Looked under my truck (just to make sure it wasn't me) and to my surprise I had a big puddle under my truck. Had about 40 miles since I changed paper. The clamp came loose and popped off and oil was coming out between the can and base. Limped home and tried to tighten the filter, but it seems that it had expanded with oil and pressure. Would not re-seal. So I installed a new roll and now seems to be fine. But now I'm paranoid about it starting to leak again on a long trip leg and pumping out all the oil. Any words of wisdom? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never have had a leak for the past 5 years. mine has a pin that locks the ring that holds the can so it can not come loose.

I saw some oil drips on the road when I wet to the post office this morning. Looked under my truck (just to make sure it wasn't me) and to my surprise I had a big puddle under my truck. Had about 40 miles since I changed paper. The clamp came loose and popped off and oil was coming out between the can and base. Limped home and tried to tighten the filter, but it seems that it had expanded with oil and pressure. Would not re-seal. So I installed a new roll and now seems to be fine. But now I'm paranoid about it starting to leak again on a long trip leg and pumping out all the oil. Any words of wisdom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you did not have the clamp tighten correctly over the canister. When I install the paper, I always make sure the paper has bottomed out enough to allow the canister to fit low on the housing. Then the clamp can make a drip free and tight fit that just cannot come loose. Mine is on top, so I can easily see what I am doing. You must get the canister, housing and clamp aligned properly.... and then screw the clamp on tight.

This is a video taking mine off, the clamp is off, but the canister and housing is fitted close with the rubber seal in the middle.

click on video below

Posted Image

- - - Updated - - -

Clamp on looks like this

Posted Image

I have it really tight but I do know if that's the reason for the leak I have not had any time to take it apart and investigate. The leak is very small its not like pouring out but its there. But I always think its a good idea just to have a back up.

I have it really tight but I do know if that's the reason for the leak I have not had any time to take it apart and investigate. The leak is very small its not like pouring out but its there. But I always think its a good idea just to have a back up.

Probably replacing the rubber gasket will solve the leak for you! One should have a supply of rubber gaskets for future use.

I just changed oil on the truck and changed the Frantz filter paper. I'am down to my last 3 rolls! When I change the Frantz, I take 10-11 complete revolutions of paper off and this gives a tight fit with the paper I use. I place a thick towel on the ground and place the canister/toilet paper on towel. I then use my knee and body weight to push the paper in. I have an old thero cap that I use to push with. It's about the best method I can find. You must push the paper in enough so that the rubber seal and clamp can seal. This is where the thermo cap really shines as it is just the right diameter. I'am not a Frantz Filter expert , but this works for me.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk