• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

idleing and Engine warm up?

Hey guys, just have a question regarding engine idleing and warm up. So I know according to the owners manuel your not supposed to idle your engine for a long period, and of course it doesn't specify what a long period of time is but aren't you supposed to warm it up in the winter? If this is the case iv'e noticed since owning this diesel that takes quite a while so wouldn't this hurt the engine since your not supposed to leave them idle for long periods of time? confussed. just another newbie question :lol:

If really cold you can always plug in for a couple hours. Mine is on a timer comes on 2 hr before I leave for work. When I was vol. fire poor truck only got about 30 40 sec. before out the drive. Just enough time for oil to get pumped around. Diesel is slow to warm.

On my 05 I usually limit it to under 5 minutes, if I start it with the key I kick on the PTO fast idle right away, if I start it with the remote start I usually use the 5 min rule and if it is cold enough the auto fast idle feature idles it up within a couple of minutes.If the 05 isn't plugged in and it is cold enough it goes to fast idle instantly at startup automatically.On my second gen I usually just let it run for a couple minutes and drove it easy for a couple miles is all.With my auto trannies once the temps get to the point it allowed for converter lockup it is game on then.:thumbup2:I think coolant temps at 140*F is when converter lockup happens.Another scenario is from VW like my wifes TDI Jetta, VW wants absolutely ZERO warm up idle time no matter what the ambient temps are with their diesels, start it and drive it easy for a couple miles is all and then let er buck.

10 minutes is on the long side, all you need it to build up the cylinder temps and get the pistons and cylinder walls warmed up before driving it hard. depending on how cold the ambient temps are one could let it idle all day and not see the needle even move off of the peg.

This is what I do in order for startup:1. Turn key to, ON2. Listen for lift pump to prime3. Wait for grid heaters to cycle4. Crank it5. Look for lift pump pressure6. Look for Oil pressure, within 10 seconds7. Give it about a minute to let crank oil circulate8. Drive easy until truck is warmed up to full temp9. Open 'er up if you need to!I have a 53 block and even though I have not been there for its approx. first 200k miles of its life, I have yet to develop a crack in the block from my driving habits.