• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Sourcing a fuel pressure sending unit

I recently installed an edge insight with the expandable egt harness. I was looking at adding lift pump pressure, but by the time I buy the sensor adapter with the proprietary connector and their pressure sender I'm looking at almost $300. Has anyone found an off the shelf sender that will work with the insight? $100+ seems awful steep to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a cheapo gauge from Glow Shift on ebay for less than $50.  Looks good, seems accurate (it corresponded to the mechanical gauge I was checking with, fwiw), and the instructions were good.

Downside is that the sending unit crapped out after about a year (and yes, it is remote-mounted off the engine).  Upside is that you can get on their website and buy a replacement sender for $12.

So I give them an A+ for service.  I'll probably go ahead and buy a trans temp gauge from them.

I do wish that I hadn't gone with the "tinted" gauge.  It's a little hard to read in the daytime.

I've got a alarm on mine I got a Cummins low fuel pressure switch, LED, and a cheap Radio Shack chime. Just add a tee and place the switch with the gauge supply. Now wire up the chime and the LED so when the switch comes on turns on both the chime and the LED. Still much much less than $300 bucks.

Like a true mcgyver!

:cheerleader:

• Like 1

Alarms and limits of the Edge unit are just a big PITA. I typically suggest to most to turn all that stuff off to prevent problems.

That is a good point. I wonder if some of the problems I'm having surging isn't somewhat related to my qwad limits and warnings. Seems like no metter where I set egt limit 1300 1400 it always defuels at 1200 or so, I know that 1400 is to much but I was just playing with setting and seeing when it would defuel. Thanks for input on that, never crossed my mind it could case that.

• Owner

Like on the Edge Juice the setting is where full defuel is at. So if you set at 1,200*F then it start defueling at like 1,000*F and tapering off till it gets to 1,200*F and at full defuel. So just like a limit on boost set the boost limit like at 32 PSI its start defueling at say 22-25 PSI and works it way to full defuel. So now if you had both set up now you would have two separate defueling curves affecting the upper end power. 

Once again its best to just disable all limits and alarms.

I have mine set up with a switch that closes when fuel pressure gets down to 10 psi. It runs a light and a buzzer. It works good, I was just hoping to simplify all the different things I have going on by running them through the edge. I don't have an edge box, just the gauges, so I don't have to worry about false defueling or anything. I guess I'll keep my self engineered system in place instead of spending a fortune on edge sensors and harnesses.