• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Brake Controller - Dash Panels?

I hate the break controller in the 2001 3500 I bought and I want to change it out. My question is does the Dodge have a plug like comes with some controllers, or do you have to hard wire it in. 

Next question, How do you go about taking the lower dash panels off?

Thanks In advance

Earl

Mine came with a plug in for the controller. Might depend on whether you had the tow package or not? I didn't need to remove the lower dash panel to do the controller. You will need to buy the pigtail, as there are a lot of different models of trucks and the controllers fit anything.

Update. Connector is blue and on too of all the garbage next to your emergency brake pedal. On the top/rear of the wiring mess. It's attached solidly.

Edited by joecool911

Thanks guys. I guess I just need to start pulling wires to find out where things go. The guy that had the truck before me liked to do things right so I assume a 3500 Dually came with a tow package. I would bet he took it to the Dodge dealer to have it done. I am getting too old to be standing on my head under a dash board....  :)

Didn't catch earlier it was a dually. That's the dark side and may be completely different. ;-) that would be weird even for a dually 3,500 to not have a tow package. I can't figure out why people want to burn up 6 tires instead of 4. My last dually will be my last. Only good part is getting a flat on the rear and not dealing with it for a few weeks.

Edited by joecool911

On my 01.5, the plug is reached easily, belly down on the driver's floor.  The knee panel has very few screws along the under edge & a few pop out ones near the top...  pry gently!  

Since the plug is above the Emergency Brake mechanism it's an easy reach.  I have the tow package so not only do I have the plug but a factory extension harness to plug into the truck.  All that was needed was to mate to my controller.  I mounted my controller on the left side knee panel which was convenient until the MS impaired my left side.  I was loath to chop the factory extension harness so I coiled it & put a zip tie on it. 

Where is your box mounted that it's a problem?

Edited by flagmanruss

Joe Cool - What is wrong with Duallys? I have always had duallys.... If nothing else they look bad a$$. Love them for towing....

Just messin with ya. Not a fan after 300,000 miles of 2 extra tires. But got good life out of a 93 ford gasser 351 and manual transmission. Fenders tend to get damaged. Can't see backing up with running lights on fenders at night. Could see nothing behind the fenders out of the mirrors.

A lot of the newer brake controllers actually come as a plug-and-play set up. The controller has a plug on the back and you just buy the adapter harness to go between the truck and controller. Tekonsha has come a long way with these products and makes very good quality brake controllers.