• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I need to snowplow my driveway...

flagmanruss

I had been plowing with my backhoe... but please recall my MS has gotten to the point where I can barely walk a few steps. My dear wifee wants no parts of plowing with the backhoe. I suggested putting a plow on my signature truck... long cab + long bed... It's not the most maneuverable in close spaces. She's did not like that idea either. To be honest, I'm not sure how long I'll be able to drive myself nor certainly how long to keep the CTD TRUCK. So she's plowing with an ATV we picked up. Bombadier 650 with a plow. It gets it done eventually BUT if it's cold, snowing, etc... it means fully suiting up. Said dear wifee is 65 yo. I am think of a Jeep type vehicle with a geated cab. I'd really like to be able to actually get into it. I really am not able to lift my left leg worth a darn. Is this making any sense? Thoughts?Russell

Aren't there any kids around there that will do it for $20? Probably save you a bunch of money by not having to buy something for just snow. If you want to have fun doing it though, hmm yeah get some old thing. I have seen old dakotas with plows.. Get a V6 one and beat the hell out of it lol.

I made a ton of money (to a 17 year old) plowing driveways with a CJ5 hard top back in the mid 80's. It did a great job on driveways (I wouldn't use it on parking lots, streets...) it was very maneuverable and the narrow blade was easy to handle. My sister had been plowing her long gravel driveway for years with an ATV but finally bought a Wrangler just to plow with. It's just for plowing so it's not registered, inspected.... She is very happy with it. Her driveway is up hill and it does a great job.

We are in a pretty rural area. Kids not around. Not likely to be interesting in shoveling 400 feet of driveway anyhow.

This is last winter... second wrecker (first one broke an axle trying to get town truck back on the road). House is up this hill.

Posted Image

Edited by flagmanruss

Have a kid use the 4 wheeler.. Theres gotta be a hundred of them wanting to ride it all day. You can surely find one somewhere that will stop by and do it. I do a lot of stuff for free if I think it's fun or know I will learn something from it. Gotta be atleast one kid that thinks that way up there..

We are in a pretty rural area. Kids not around. Not likely to be interesting in shoveling 400 feet of driveway anyhow.

This is last winter... second wrecker (first one broke an axle trying to get town truck back on the road). House is up this hill.

Posted Image

Somebody had a bad day. That's a nice area. We travel on rt. 102 all the time. My wife is from North Kingstown. We're there about once a month.

By the looks of the pics you posted I don't think your wife will be abel to keep up with the snow using a wheeler. At first your ctd may seam to big for your wife but with a little experience it will get easier for her.I would stay away from a 1/2 or a jeep not that they can't plow snow, it's when you get around to plowing that concerns me, a heaver vehicle will be better suited to plowing after the snow is over or when you get home after it snows. Instad of sending your wife out in the middel of the night to plow with the storm.An other option is to get an older plow truck, have it ready to go, just use it for plowing and it should last a long time. You can put a set of chains on it and a few hundred pounds in the box (back by the tail gate) and your wife will not need to worry about getting stuck.Plow selection get an 8ft plow not one of these 7ft plows, you want a plow that is wider that the track or your tires when you are turning.But I bet you know all this?

There are only a handful of houses. We have Management area across the street & behind us. No kids around...

I think it is unwise to lock into the CTD... It's not set up with winter tires or a plow & besides the long stretches there are several in & outs that need doing.

The ATV actually does plow it but it takes many passes. But it sure is maneuverable.

I plowed for quite a few years with the JD... but often I am not able to get up on it. After years of fighting it, I admit I feel threatened by the likelyhood that I will need a wheelchair at least part time.

Posted Image

We're not used to having others do for us... years ago, a neighbor had a plow on his truck. I had the JD. Which ever of us got out first would plow each other & neighbor's mailboxes & etc. But he moved out of town. Plowing a gravel drive is an art. My ex's brothers excavated in the summer, plowed in the winter... really had the skill. You can really mess up a gravel driveway with a JD! I'm a quick learner. I'm not up on Jeeps CJs & equivelents... but I'd like a dedicated plow Jeep. It would need to be on road just enough to keep the thing from rusting up the brakes. I had a used Suzuki that would have made a good plow vehicle if I could have kept a fan belt on it. Well, it's gone now, so too late. But it was a stick & I can't drive a stick because my left leg won't work a clutch... guess it doesn't matter.

I had a CJ type on my mind... but in consideration of my mobility issues, a CJ entry probably would not do. I'm re-thinking... What about a Cherokee type? Are they they durable enough? Are there other Makes & Models that are available economically, that I should consider?Russ

Dang... I wish I lived near you I'd be more than willing to plow your yard and roads out... But i'm a long ways from you Russ... Come on gang there is got to be someone near Russ that can help out??

I'm like you Mike........I wish I was near Russ and wifey!!!!! Geez, I don't know anyone from that area either!!!!:confused2: I've got a retired couple behind me, and I help them out whenever possible...........be it cutting some tree limbs down for them or giving them some veggies from my garden. And yes, I do till, plant, weed, harvest and store a fair bit of my own produce!!! Along with all the wild game that I bag!!!!:cool::cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be the one helping the neighbors out! I used the backhoe to open the snowbacks at the road for the neighbors. The machine is so big... hard to turn around on the narrow street. I'd go down the street, making one swipe each diagonally across the opening, then the opposite coming back. It was nice. Russ