• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anyone Had Trouble With Spare Tire Winch?

• Staff

I am hearing some problems from use of the spare tire winch so I was wondering if someone has done any mods to this.

I am concerned about seeing my spare tire passing me on the highway sometime. :burnout2:

Was thinking if anyone's found a solution... it seems kinda flimsy and that ratchet effect doesn't seem like it will hold the tire forever. So my first thought is a small boat winch mounted near an easy access point (wheel well or something) and then have the cable going over to where the original winch was with a pulley. I don't know.... just planning on having this truck for a long time and a boat winch is loads more positive holding locking power.

A beer for your thoughts?

Edited by JAG1

When I bought my truck, the first thing I did was drop the spare, flipped it so I can air it easily, shot some silicone spray in the cable unit and raised it. I drop it once per year to check my spare and shoot spray in the cable unit. Never had a problem with it, nor anticipate an problem.

But I will also admit, I have a chain with a lock on it to hopefully slow up someone stealing it and if the cable did break.

• Staff

Doin a search on this I found that lots of guys are strapping across the spare from frame to frame with a ratchet strap. Someone said there is holes in the frame where you can hook across.Sounds like a simple fix.

Jim,  in the search a few guys found out that their winch wouldn't let the spare come down. Bad deal finding this out on the side of the road. Silicone spray and running it up and down once a year is good thing.

Gassernomore one account in the search, a guy lost his spare and caused minor damage to the vehicle behind, he was lucky. Thread had two attorney's reply saying that he would be fully responsible in most cases but, since the lady behind him deliberitly ran over the tire, witnesses saw her do it as though she was trying to sue him. :nono:

Another guy with a Dodge Ram saw his tire bounce, fly up in the air landing clear across the 4 lane highway. No one was hit fortunatly.

Edited by JAG1

I seen a tire fly off a tire balancer once back in the day when they actually went full speed. That was a sight to behold. Owner of the Jag said his car was shaking like a dog crapping tacks at 90. So they took the tires up to 100 and one flew off. Fortunately it ended up hitting a concrete wall. But the screeching when it hit the painted concrete floor was awesome.

Edited by joecool911

Damn it all, now ya got me thinking. I have yet to have a problem and didn't anticipate any.

Now I'm thinking I better look it over again for the hell of it.

The wife and I are thinking of a trip soon and that's the last thing I want to think about.

Got enough with diesel prices bouncing all over the country, and not my spare bouncing pass me.

I make it part of my schedule maintenance to check the spare tire and it cable for damage at the same time check the tire condition, tire pressure, etc. So while I'm doing all this I'll lube up the cable winch and put it all back together.

Man is there no stone left unturned in your garage? I have a lot of maintenance to catch up on. Right when I thought I was doing good.

• Owner

Man is there no stone left unturned in your garage? I have a lot of maintenance to catch up on. Right when I thought I was doing good.

I spend a good hour laying on a creeper looking up at the frame and everything with a flashlight. I take notes of oil leaks, fluids level, color, and smell. Look for worn parts or damage parts. I more or less treat my truck like a airplane because if a airplane has a failure it usually turns out rather poor. When I live its the same thing. If my truck breaks down and leave me walking might turn out very poor or deadly. No cell service and might have to walk in some seriously cold weather. I'm responsible truck owner.

What taught me a lesson was a ex-girlfriend. She bought a brand new Ford Ranger pickup. Nice truck and fun to drive. We'll on our ride back from over in the back country of Washington she slid off the road and blew a tire off the rim. She assumed the spare was good because it was never used. So far from true. Well the truck had a lock to keep people from stealing the tire she had no idea how to even unlock it. Then after that she had no idea where the jack and hardware was. Then after finding all that and lower the tire down to find out it only had about 15-20 PSI in the tire. So it was enough but very squirrelly driving.

Now I check everything... Like in my last maintenance check of the BigTex 70TV trailer I found my trailer spare was flat.

I never assume anything anymore.

JAG, 

As I told you in another post, my winch was frayed at the end and the spare was in the bed.  I ordered a new winch  ( Part # 52058707) from Berry Dodge in Corsicana, TX- 89.70 for the winch, local dealer in Pittsburgh wanted $168 for same part.  I have found they have the most unreal prices on factory parts, and will actually take the time to look up parts and drawings - even after you tell them its for a 12 year old truck. Anyway, I completed this today- the winch is held on by 4 bolts, from the top, and they are in a very tight spot.  You will need to spray the exposed thread with some PB Blaster and reach your hand through the holes in the cross-member.  3 of 4 were had with a 13mm socket on a 3/8 drive ratchet, the one towards the drivers side rear had to be taken with a 13mm open end wrench.  Very easy swap out with some interesting contorting (The rear diff makes an excellent pillow!) Interesting to note the winch is not cheap- but is made in USA! 

Good luck with your repair

AP

post-2273-0-16065600-1390180372_thumb.jp

Edited by AGPTurbo

• 1 month later...

Some time ago I was checking the rear end lube and noticed the frayed end of the winch cable (looked exactly like the picture AGPTurbo posted above) and no spare.  No idea when it departed, could have been weeks or months before, I should check it more often (and do now).  Thank G-d nobody was hit by it (I'd have known/seen/heard) - I'm mostly alone on country roads.

Got a used rim and winch at the junkyard, found a tire in the barn to mount on the rim for a spare, and used a ratchet strap (like JAG1 said, above) to secure it along with the new/used winch.  The cable broke once, what is to keep it from breaking again?

This was my fault for not checking more often (I'm convinced the cable broke cause it got loose and fatgued) but I learned my lesson.

Also - I recently bought a set of tires and kept the best of the old ones for a spare.  The old tire I'd been using in place of the lost spare got me to the tire store but was showing signs of incipient tread separation - had plenty of tread but had sat around not mounted on a rim for to long a time.