• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo And Boost ?

OK so i need some help understanding the waist gate function. On my truck in my sig i have been running a Smarty S-03 for about 2 years and I have had the waist gate both hooked up and un-hooked with a 1/8 plug in the hole on the turbo. Egt's are much lower with the waist gate disconnected. I thought lower EGT's is better?
I guess my Question is what is the harm of disconnecting the waist gate?

Edited by mulcher812

OK so i need some help understanding the waist gate function. On my truck in my sig i have been running a Smarty S-03 for about 2 years and I have had the waist gate both hooked up and un-hooked with a 1/8 plug in the hole on the turbo. Egt's are much lower with the waist gate disconnected. I thought lower EGT's is better?

I guess my Question is what is the harm of disconnecting the waist gate?

No harm, unless you overboost.

How much boost did you see with the waste gate disconnected?

With the waist gate disconnected and smarty set at level 7 I only saw about 32 max psi. and only for a short period it never held there. I have a boost elbo that came with my edge comp and with it installed the boost was about the same 30-32 psi but egt's were 1300-1500 wot.

Edited by mulcher812

32 PSI is not a problem, but it is near the top of the compressor map to where all it really does is heat the air and over speed the turbo. Just keep in mind when you are running 32 PSI your turbo is spinning upwards of 160,000 RPM. At that speed if anything were to happen to it....well I know of one guy who said he did overspeed one and he needed a hood, inner fender, tire, and fender besides the turbo.

So with the Wastegate disconnected and plugged off you saw 32PSI Boost and 1100 EGT, but with Boost elbow hooked up you seen 32PSI and 1300-1500 EGTs?

With it plugged off was a max of 32ish 1100 EGT's but with the elbow in I only saw 28-30 and 1300-1500 EGT's. Today I made some adjustments and was able to see 40psi and 1300 EGT's... Bad idea...

With it plugged off was a max of 32ish 1100 EGT's but with the elbow in I only saw 28-30 and 1300-1500 EGT's. Today I made some adjustments and was able to see 40psi and 1300 EGT's... Bad idea...

By adjustments I'm guessing you mean to your edge comp and smarty? When I had both on my truck with the max I saw was 38 psi. And egts were at 1400 and climbing. What settings were you on for each? Was that with or without the boost elbow?

Yes I stacked them and no boost elbow. Smarty is set to level 5 and edge on 3x5. I wasn't sure how it would work. The EGT's were at 1300 when I pulled my foot out of it. They would have probably kept climbing if I stayed in it longer.

Edited by mulcher812

Not good!! :doh:  If you are going to stack the programmers you need to run the smarty on only even numbered settings. Those are the settings that only do fuel (No timing added). The edge will do the timing if you have it on there. Running the smarty on odd numbered settings with the edge on doubles the timing!!! Without the edge run any number. With them stacked only run 2,4,6,or 8!

• Like 1

My recommendation is to put an adjustable elbow on it and set it to max at 35 psi. Also, turn the programmers down to keep the egts manageable. :2cents: With the amount of fuel pouring in that engine you need a bigger turbo to keep the egts lower.