• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2 Stroke and the Common Rail

dorkweed

Yes, keep us posted!!:smart::smart:Like you, I'm here in "The Peoples Republik of Illinoiz"...................Chain-O-Lakes area................I've been all over the state, but I sure don't know where Lanark, IL is. Help please!!!:cool:

:lol: yes Lanark isnt a very big town about 1,600 its about an hour southwest of Rockford if you know where that is

No Crapola??!!!:shrug: Jeez, you're near the number 1 "speed trap" in Illinoiz.......the bypass around Freeport!!!!!:doh::doh: I've not been caught there, but a lot of folks I know have!!! I've got family in Scales Mound, and I drive almost right by your place once or twice a year!!!:cool: Later man!!:thumb1:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Looks like this thread was revived, so I'll throw my :2cents: out there on 2-cycle and the 3rd gen.. My truck did not like it; moreover, my exhaust brake didn't like it. I ran about 10oz per fillup, or 448:1. I ran it for about 5K miles and I noticed no change in engine noise, fuel economy, or smooth running. Thou I do run the Amsoil Diesel Concentrate, so my lubricity was already improved. What I did notice was a sticky exhaust tip, and the exhaust brake would not fully engage if the rpms were over 1500. I would have to push the clutch in, engage the brake, then let the clutch out. I feel the 2-stroke was gumming the brake up, within a tank or two of stopping using 2 stroke the brake was back to normal operation. I never felt a difference, but could plainly see it in my back-pressure gauge. I also plugged my drive pressure gauge tubing in those 5K miles, the only time its happened.So that's my experience.

On my 3rd tank of 2 cycle oil. Mix 16oz per fill up. Don't know about MPG's cause I've drastically changed my driving habits due to the price of fuel.....I can't remember the last time I heard my turbo whistle:cool:. I will say the noise reduction is amazing.

On May 4, 2011, it'll be 5 years since I started using 2 stroke oil in my 04.5. I had to go back to CF to find the exact date...........sorry Mike..........but I couldn't remember!!!!:duh::cookoo: For those interested, that thread over there that I started and Mike took over was the biggest thread "over there" for a couple years!!!!! Even with most of the Mods over there doing their best to unplug the "2 stroke" revolution!!!I figure in just under the 5 years now since using the 2 stroke, I've logged about 110,000 miles on the stuff. Still get good mileage.........both towing and empty.............my mileage high occurred last summer.........23.3mpg hand calculated running essentially 65mph!!!I'm still running the OEM injectors..............I've got a 2micron secondary filter after the 7micron filter in the OEM filter housing. Running a GDP lift pump fuel system.I can blow some smoke out the tailpipe when I want, but she cleans up fast. I could turn up the TM on the Smarty, but I tow a lot and don't want to stress the drive train that much. Conservatively speaking, I'd say I'm at about 375HP and 750ft. lbs. with my current settings. That's running fuel with 2 stroke added also!! In the lower gears, I have to be easy on the go-pedal on wet roads, because Mighty Whitey will break'em loose.......and that's granny type driving!!!That's all.

• Owner

Well I'm coming up on 100K of use... Just need 2k miles... So far not a single issue as of yet... VP44 is at 133K and still pumpin' strong... As for the thread over on CF.com it was a monster it was finally closed after like 125 pages worth of thread. I will give credit to Dorkweed for finding the idea... But I guess I was the pack mule that bought it home... :lol:

Well I'm coming up on 100K of use... Just need 2k miles... So far not a single issue as of yet... VP44 is at 133K and still pumpin' strong... As for the thread over on CF.com it was a monster it was finally closed after like 125 pages worth of thread. I will give credit to Dorkweed for finding the idea... But I guess I was the pack mule that bought it home... :lol:

I first read about it about a year after I got my 04.5. Prior to that I was using PS+MMO:doh::doh: in my 04.5!!!!!! It was on another website called http://www.dieselram.com. I still hang out over there. I don't remember the members name that said to use 2 stroke though..........probably because he doesn't go there anymore.......I dunno!!!!! Side note.........anyone with a tranny problem.........go to the above site..............a member named TimHolt(call name also) is a tranny guru. Hope you don't mind about the plug, Mike. Tim IS that good IMHO. Tim knows the 47RE, 48RE, NV4500 and NV5600 trannys in our trucks like the back of his hand.

I might have to give this two stroke stuff a shot. I need to keep some around for my saw anyway. Howes bumps my mileage - and did in my ALH TDI too - but not enough to pay for itself. 2 stroke might just be cheap enough.... I have no worries about the P7100 and my injectors are "cheap" so all I care about is the economy aspect.

• 3 months later...

But i'm going out to put some in right now!:thumb1::thumb1::thumb1:

After adding about one Oz per gallon and using a half of tank, I can hear a small difference but did not get any improvement in MPGs. We'll see what happens. Even if it is just a preventive action, it will be worth it. :ahhh:

• 6 months later...

Reviving an older thread here. Looking for some updates. I have an '06 2500 I just bought and wife has '84 MB 300SD 5cyl. diesel that we've had for some time now. Her's smells like it is buring oil, but I don't see any loss between oil changes. ShouldI start adding something to her car as well?

• Owner

The smell of burning oil might be just the vapors given off by certain engine oils. Like Rotella (Ro-Smella) has a very heavy oil smell almost like a tar smell when the engine is ruinning and vapors are blown off.As for the 2 cycle oil you could try it for the fuel system system and keeping it lubed up. But the 2cycle oil has nothing to do with the oil smell your getting most likely...

I agree that since I'm not using 2cyl oil yet it's not causing the smell. I am however running Rotella in her car, but never noticed the smell before. It seems that since going to ULSD, I smell more and more vehicals on the interstate that smell like they are burning oil. Now that I think about it, I did read where the refiners are putting oil back into the ULSD because of lubricity issues. Just remembered that as I was typing.