• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Low Temps And Now Power?

My son decided he wanted to try out the heater tonight. The outside temp right now is 18* above so it should be showing on the temp gauge. I just looked at the temps in your area JR and they don't look too bad. 3* above is about the coldest for next week for you. Gonna get to about -15* here.

I believe Volkswagon is referring to those Canadian rigs...I was referring to the older cars in my original post, being I don't keep up very well with anything new..$$$$

When I was looking for a TDI I came across a good deal on Craigslist for a gently used Frost Heater. I kept the number and when I found a car I called the guy to see if he still had it and he did. While we don't get real cold weather here it is nice for the wife. I have it set up on a timer for 2 hours prior and she can literally go out on a 10 degree morning, start the car and it is making instant heat. Not hot, but definitely warm enough to call heat! Its amazing they put such a massive heater in a car with so little coolant capacity. I keep meaning to take my IR gun out there and get a coolant temp reading out of curiosity to see how warm it really is.

I've seen the temp gauge all the way to operating temp on my car! But I haven't put an IR gun to it do I don't know exact degrees. Then mysteriously one day the gauge didn't register anything but the car still started great as usual so who knows what happened.

I've seen the temp gauge all the way to operating temp on my car! But I haven't put an IR gun to it do I don't know exact degrees. Then mysteriously one day the gauge didn't register anything but the car still started great as usual so who knows what happened.

OK, were really getting off topic (sorry joecool), but does anyone know what temp the blue coolant light for the cold engine in the dash goes off on the VWs? I have noticed on several mornings starting the car with the block heater plugged in and that light is off instantly. On a similar morning without the heater plugged in it will take several miles of driving before the light goes off.

I'm going to have to break out the IR gun and start recording ambient temps compared to coolant temps.

OK, were really getting off topic (sorry joecool), but does anyone know what temp the blue coolant light for the cold engine in the dash goes off on the VWs? I have noticed on several mornings starting the car with the block heater plugged in and that light is off instantly. On a similar morning without the heater plugged in it will take several miles of driving before the light goes off.

I'm going to have to break out the IR gun and start recording ambient temps compared to coolant temps.

I am not sure I remember seeing a blue light on the dash. I will look tomorrow.

Hmm, must be something they did on the earlier models maybe...I can't see it being Beetle specific but it is possible. There is a blue coolant symbol on the dash when the engine is cold and goes off when the engine is luke warm. The only thing I found in the owners manual was that VW recomends easy driving until the light goes out. Doesnt mention what temp that may be, and there is only an idiot light for temp, no gauge.