• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

First Time Towing- Is My Power Curve Normal?

Hey gang, 

Pulled with my 2 week old (to me) 2002 today.  Took my 78 ford on my tandem car trailer 50 miles to a paint shop today with mixed highway, 2 lane driving.  First, I was surprised as to how much it was taxing the engine, until I pulled of a ramp and smelled brakes burning and found my drivers e-brake was hung up. After that I could not believe this motor. Pulling my 78 with ease, up grades at 65 mph light pedal would not even be a fantasy in my old 08 super duty. I got 15.5 mpg round trip today, temps in the high 20's. 

So, what I'm here to ask is if my power curve is normal. My truck is an auto, and is shifts great.  Truck pulls out fine, and when the converter locks up on the highway it pulls my truck and trailer like it was only a sack of cement in the bed.  The question I want answered is about 2nd and 3rd gear  Its as if the truck runs out of power at 2500 rpm in 2nd, then 3rd gets better but similar.  Its as if the truck wont build power after 2500, or that the transmission wont get out of the engines way.  I can press the throttle, to the floor but gain in rpm is minimal after 2500. could this be something with the APPS? Its almost as if I'm not getting the fuel I'm demanding in those gears and RPM range. First gear I can take it past 3000 rpm, so will 4th I'm sure of it (though I haven't tried it yet)

How about you other auto guys?

AP

That sounds pretty close to normal. The ECM starts to defuel at about 2500 RPMs. I don't know if you would get to 3000 RPM in O/D. Besides you would be in the triple digit territory for speed! Welcome to the world of torque.

I do have a map code but no codes for apps, and its the same as regular driving at about 10psi on the highway and never went below 7 or so even when pulling out from a light on a grade. I think its just the way the trans operates , plenty of power but not exactly a mind reader. Like i said, once it locks up its like a freight train!

Edited by AGPTurbo

For a stock truck with a stock transmission/torque convertor, theres probably nothing wrong with it as long as its not cutting out or hesitating.

The 47re is not the most efficient transmission in stock form. It is adequate for a stock motor but your not going to be passing any sports cars on a grade towing a trailer... If you do alot of towing or plan on any engine mods in the future, an upgraded valve body and TC will go a long way for transferring the power better. Or, you can just drive it and enjoy it.

• Owner
I do have a map code

Which MAP code? P0234, P0236, P0327 or P0238???

Any of the above except P0236 will put it in limp mode.

its the same as regular driving at about 10psi on the highway and never went below 7 or so even when pulling out from a light on a grade.

Just like driving with low oil pressure. It won't take long to destroy the injection pump.

• Like 1

I have the 234 and 236. I am over boosting with the 35 psi waste I am running with no boost fooling. No limp mode either. Prior to this trip when it hit around 21 or 22 psi it acted like it was defueling, but this trip with the 5th wheel I saw 26 or 27 psi with no loss of power. Ran hot straight and normal. :shrug:

Ran a Banks Ottomind for 8 years until until it started acting up a few months ago. Supposed to give up to 75 RWHP. I do miss the power, but need to save a little cash and put in a Comp or such. The stock clutch handle it well with the 12k and the 15k 5th wheel. I was surprised. I now have a Valair that is supposed to handle 450 to 500 HP

• Owner

Would my MAP code be the culprit for the overboost? Thats what the condition is for the P0236.  Is this usually a dirty MAP?

MAP sensor is seeing too much boost for too long for P0236.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/166-p0236-map-sensor-too-high-too-long

As for the dirty MAP sensor... That's becoming a Internet myth too. I've not pulled either MAP or IAT sensor on over 3 years now with a exhaust brake and not having any issues. No such thing as a dirty MAP sensor.

But looking at the code the MAP sensor is working properly but you building way more boost that stock and holding way longer hence the error code.