• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Newbie about to make the Diesel plunge!

Hello All,I currently own a really nice 2004 F150 which I plan to sell to my brother and purchase a 2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 camper special Club Cab LB 6speed sport with 166000 miles 1 owner truck. It just had a new lift pump installed due to a recall that had not been done as well as several other items ...Brakes, vacuum harness for transfer case, tires batteries I forget the rest..Could you all give me a few ideas what I need to look out for as I am taking this out for a test drive and beyond? I am pretty sure I am going to purchase it if it everything the seller claims. Thanks for your input,Chris

Lets see here. The front end! These things are notorious for wearing the front end out rather quickly. You will have considerable play in the steering. See how much play there is to know how soon it will need the front end worked on. You can find out most of the problems if you go start it while it's cold out. Make sure the engine is as cold as it is outside, then try and start it. Should start like a gasser down to 15F. Give it an extra second below that. Below 0F it should start eventually, be weary if it hasn't started trying to start after 2 seconds of cranking.

Edited by ISX

You mean the 6th gear stops working? Never heard that on a 6 speed. The 5 speeds have that problem, 5th gear nut comes loose then you lose 5th gear until you tighten that nut back up.I just did a lot of googling and cant find anything about the NV5600 losing 6th. He must have meant the 5spd (NV4500).

Edited by ISX

Yeah it appears to be that the 24v's share that problem with the 12v's. It is not very common though so the owner probably didn't do the fix for it. But just because it isn't that common doesn't mean it can't happen, and if you happen to get struck by lightning with it, you could be looking at a new engine, depending on how much damage it does. You must have read about all the stuff it does already lol. Heres more info on that. I guess it's the 2001+ that it wasn't very common on. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/kdp/kdp.htm

Edited by ISX

You'll love it. The issues with them are very few and far between. The steering can last a very long time, thats about the only thing that routinely wears out that isn't a maintenance item. Keep it all greased up. You planning on getting big power out of it?I forgot all about this other issue, big issue really lol. 24v injection pumps and lift pumps are lubed with the diesel fuel. This new ULSD stuff has next to no lube in it and will kill the lift pump in no time (100k out of them is a record..) and after they go, now the injection pump has no fuel so it has no lube and is just like running an engine with no oil, so it also goes out, this will cost you $1000+ to fix. The solution?, you put an electric lift pump on it to ensure the injection pump always has fuel, you also add a quart of 2 stroke oil to every tank of fuel, or 128:1 ratio (I'm sure you've read all this being THIS site lol). You also get a fuel pressure gauge so you know when your lift pump decides to quit on you so you can fix it before damage is done. Someone else will fill you in on this more, I am a 12V guy :lol3:

Edited by ISX

I heard from a guy I work with that the 6 speed trans has had a problem with 6th gear not working? ( a recall issue perhaps?)

Previous trucks with the 5 speed up to but not including 2000 models had the "5th gear nut" issue in which the 5th gear nut would come loose and damage the transmission. Your truck should be OK in that respect since the 2000's came out with the upgraded transmissions.

That seems to be what he was alluding to.... well that is good to hear. Did that engine also have the problem with the dowel pin migrating into the timing gears?

The timing cover alignment dowel pin issue was on 12 valve engines but you need to make sure the engine is NOT a 53 block. Not all 53 blocks crack but more than a few have. http://www.stamey.info/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm VERY expensive to repair.

Hello All, It just had a new lift pump installed due to a recall that had not been done as well as several other items ...Brakes, vacuum harness for transfer case, tires batteries I forget the rest.. Could you all give me a few ideas what I need to look out for as I am taking this out for a test drive and beyond? I am pretty sure I am going to purchase it if it everything the seller claims. Thanks for your input, Chris

Was this "recall" for installing an in tank lift pump?

Yes, it was...

I was hoping this would not be the case. The in tank lift pump is wholely inadequate for pretty much any application. It is nominally acceptable for a purely stock engine. If you intend to make any performance mods, you will have to by pass or replace the intank pump with a better lift pump. As already mentioned, I would strongly recommend installing a set of gauges so you can monitor at least fuel pressure and have the other gauges in place for when and if you decide to add performance mods.

Is there any way to know if it has a 53 block by the vin or build sheet? I have yet to see the truck in person and plan to go pick it up late this month... Here's hoping it is not a 53 block!!

Only way to tell for sure is to read the article and crawl up under the engine compartment and have a look. Some trucks got them and some did not.