• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

An "uh Oh" Moment

dripley

Unloaded a truck load of trusses this morning. Windy and just under 40*. Didn't have any gloves on so the hands got cold. So when I was done I went over to the truck reached in and hit the switch, forgetting it was in gear :doh: , reverse to be specific. As soon as I hit the switch it was obvious the truck was in reverse and the split second it took to notice this, the engine caught. The truck went backwards about 1 foot and the hitch hit the dumpster, about 4k#'s, pushed it about 7 or 8 feet until the rear went off the pavement and caught in the dirt. Now I remember a post here a while back where someone said you take one of these trucks and put the bumper against a wall and let the clutch out and the wheels would just spin. I really did not believe that until today. Before I could get the clutch in the truck was sitting still on the pavement with the rear spinning. Anyway all is well, nothing is hurt and every one standing around is still having a  :lmao2: day. Except me, I fell like a quadruple  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh: .

Now before you say it, I had a reason about 6 or 7 years ago to be messing with said clutch safety switch and just took it out. I can't remember the last time something like this happened with any truck I have owned. But for a split second,I was wondering why I took it out.

Now before you say it, I had a reason about 6 or 7 years ago to be messing with said clutch safety switch and just took it out. I can't remember the last time something like this happened with any truck I have owned. But for a split second,I was wondering why I took it out.

:lmao2:  :punish:  :punish:  :spank:  :spank:

• Like 1

:lmao2:  :punish:  :punish:  :spank:  :spank:

Never knew emoticans could say so much. Could I have another please.

Bet you will think about hooking the clutch switch back up, right???

Tom, I thought about in that split second. I am still  :think: but mostly :ashamed: for being a  :doh:. The jury is still out..

Never knew emoticans could say so much. Could I have another please.

You knew what you did as soon as it happened………………….I don't need to type anything…………….the emoticons offer a level of interpretation that I'm not good enough to type!!!! :thumb1:

• Like 1

Here's the rub. Been having some hard slow starting issues that I traced to my battery terminal connections. So last Thursday I picked up what I needed to redo them. Cleaned them up real good, put new bolts in them and just did a bang up job. Now she hits off like new. Hit the switch and it fires in 1/4 second. Guess  need mine done now. :lmao2:   

• Staff

I did this once.....  the truck almost went thru back wall of the shop. I shoved the table saw into the rear wall work bench. Work bench was crushed. Also ran over my creeper and a gallon jug of used oil which squirt ouit everywhere.

I now make it a rule to be sitting in the truck before starting. Even if I know that puppy is in neutral. Good habits are hard to break :thumb1:

Edited by JAG1

I did this once.....  the truck almost went thru back wall of the shop. I shoved the table saw into the rear wall work bench. Work bench was crushed. Also ran over my creeper and a gallon jug of used oil which squirt ouit everywhere.

I now make it a rule to be sitting in the truck before starting. Even if I know that puppy is in neutral. Good habits are hard to break :thumb1:

Before safety switches thats how you pretty much had to do it or at least make sure it is in neutral. When I get in I usually push the clutch in and check for neutral. Just reached in the door this time and hit the switch, me no thinky.

Time to hook up the clutch safety now right??? :wink:

Still  :think:  :think:

• Staff

Yep, I just wanted to fire it up to see if it ran good after a couple fixes. Boy did I find out! The dang truck door was closing tighter and tighter against the garage door opening squeezing my legs ever tighter against the truck threshold. Man that hurt, but, I had to stay with it till I got it shut down. Some bad bruises as a result.

Also the parking brake does nothing to stop it, you gotta' get to the key.

I think they oughta' take several Cummins trucks aimed at tterrorists, pull the neutral safety switch and start them up all at ounce.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 2

Yep, I just wanted to fire it up to see if it ran good after a couple fixes. Boy did I find out! The dang truck door was closing tighter and tighter against the garage door opening squeezing my legs ever tighter against the truck threshold. Man that hurt, but, I had to stay with it till I got it shut down. Some bad bruises as a result.

Also the parking brake does nothing to stop it, you gotta' get to the key.

I think they oughta' take several Cummins trucks aimed at tterrorists, pull the neutral safety switch and start them up all at ounce.

:lmao2:  :lmao:  :lmao2: but not at your pain. I can get a clear picture in my mind of said incident. I tried jerking it out of gear. That dont work either. She was locked in like concrete. Had to use the key. 

Being just a few months your junior, the cobwebs on the mind get a little harder to knock off occasionally

• Like 1

• Owner

I had a close call myself with the 1996 Dodge. I was moving truck around the yard hop in the 96 pull it out of the garage quickly slammed it in PARK and did quite get she started creeping off. Ran back and caught it. Usually when your in a hurry you do stupid things. Like with my truck hitched up and hauling firewood I'll take the time to chock all the wheels before leaving the truck parked on a slope.

• Like 2

I had a close call myself with the 1996 Dodge. I was moving truck around the yard hop in the 96 pull it out of the garage quickly slammed it in PARK and did quite get she started creeping off. Ran back and caught it. Usually when your in a hurry you do stupid things. Like with my truck hitched up and hauling firewood I'll take the time to chock all the wheels before leaving the truck parked on a slope.

You nailed it. I was in a hurry.

No ones fingers got cut off by the table saw when this happened…………………did it??? :duh:  :tongue: