• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So... I have a bit of a project..

• Staff

YabbaDoo, I like how you are vigilant and industrious about your fixes and repairs. Very commendable..... :thumb1: ,

I see a stock pile of that great sense of accomplishment at your place...... warning.... possible shortages at everyone elses place :)

• Like 1

My experiences are limited but it seems to me that the outside corner mouldings never have enough overlap.  TVs & TTs are not built strong enough & they work...  the flex breaks the seals & cause leaks...   I'm just a regular guy, not able to afford the custom rigs that 'might' be better built...  or not...   

Good luck with your project...  probably what mine needs in the front but I can't go there. 

Edited by flagmanruss

• Owner

I've never been a big fan of the aluminium skinned RV's after owning the 1976 Dodge Jamboree. That had the exact same issues all the front corners leaked and the roof was constantly leaking too. Now here is where the two Jayco differ... Tracy's is a aluminium skinned mine is fiberglass both the same floor plan. So far I've been rather diligent about keeping it sealed up. I've got to do some more on mine and also redo a few spots I'm not happen with before a leak does occur. Sometime this summer I got to treat the rubber roof as well.

• Like 1

My experiences are limited but it seems to me that the outside corner mouldings never have enough overlap.  TVs & TTs are not built strong enough & they work...  the flex breaks the seals & cause leaks...   I'm just a regular guy, not able to afford the custom rigs that 'might' be better built...  or not...   

I believe you are correct Flagmanruss, They do not have enough overlap in my opinion either. I made sure that I put a ton of goo in the cornerpost-1978-0-65318700-1404313479_thumb.jppost-1978-0-97417600-1404313497_thumb.jppost-1978-0-70292900-1404313513_thumb.jppost-1978-0-22837300-1404313532_thumb.jppost-1978-0-03445000-1404313550_thumb.jppost-1978-0-73980600-1404315074_thumb.jppost-1978-0-32414800-1404315093_thumb.jppost-1978-0-54820900-1404315108_thumb.jp   And after I reinstalled the moulding I squeezed even moor goo behind that!!!

• 1 month later...

I do need to do finishing touches on the inside such as painting the new panels and installing a back splash. I also need to redo all of the curtains and window treatments and I want to make the dining room table a pocket table so the dogs have more room when traveling down the road :wink: (That beast on the floor is one of 4...all GSD's). I have a few things on the outside to finish as well but, the main repairs are finished and I am hoping to take it camping this weekend :thumb1:  :hyper: (even though I won't have the counter tops  in place yet)

Out with the old crappy plastic faucet...post-1978-0-14449700-1409370579_thumb.jp And in with the new Brass base and Chrome finish :thumb1: post-1978-0-20060300-1409370580_thumb.jp

Took a while to get the LP to work on the fridge today, it would light then kick off :doh:  I took the orifice out and cleaned it and re installed it again and it was still lighting and shutting off quickly... what finally worked was to keep lightly tapping on the orifice till it stayed lit long enough to burn off all the old crap I guess... I let it run for a couple of hours before switching back to AC for the night Letting it get nice and cold before taking it for a Labor Day camping trip!! Providing now that the earth drys up a bit... We have had so much rain lately and the ground has been so saturated that even though it had started to dry out and get firmer, we had a super soaking here in Tampa this afternoon that may make it impossible to get the truck across the yard much less pull the trailer out :doh:  Which means I will just take YabbaDoo with the camper top and go camping  :thumb1:

A lot of times the problem is the flame rod gets dirty and is marginal for rectification. Pull it out (when cool) and use a Scotch Brite pad or steel wool to clean it. If you use sand paper it leaves microscopic pieces of glass on the rod. Eventually they will melt and cover the rod rendering it useless.

Thanks guys!! I did get it working before I left and it is still running and keeping the beer COLD!! I did have a blow out on the way to my destination that took out the fender skirt and ruffled some of the aluminum...post-1978-0-65131800-1409581192_thumb.jp I changed the tire and on the way I went and it gave me no more issues.  I do have to tear apart my generator and rebuild the carburetor however, it was running rich and making the muffler glow... (didn't see that during the day when I started it to make sure it still ran... haven't used it in several years, but it started right up and ran for 10 min on what little gas I had on hand) I just turned the throttle down a bit and shut the air off and all was good...post-1978-0-00680800-1409581065_thumb.jp

I knew they were a bit too old but yes, I checked the pressure before I left and I was only doing 45 max speed but when it blew maybe about 30 I had just pulled out of the grocery store ... (all back roads no highway) All but 1 of the 4 tires had great tread at least 58% depth left . The one that blew wasn't the one I had a question about... The one I thought would have had an issue did fine (about 35%) I knew I would be replacing all before my fall trip anyway :ashamed:  I will say the fridge ran well all weekend on LP though :thumb1:  And it did pull nicely even in strong winds :cool:

Yabba, from what I have been reading when I needed tires last spring the Maxxis 8008 tires have about the best rating amongst RVrs. I also looked online and the best price I found was a place called Simple Tire. I ordered the wrong ones by mistake and they took them back (I only had to pay shipping) and sent me the ones I wanted. Your trailer should use 225/75R15 tires. Here are the ones I have: http://simpletire.com/maxxis-225-75r15-tl15711000-tires You can also get them in a load range E http://simpletire.com/maxxis-225-75r15-tl15713000-tires

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

just put Gladiator ST225/75r15 load range E on the RV... NIce looking tire and seemed to have good reviews TreadDepot.com: Gladiator ST Radial - Trailer TiresPlus the price was right!! Less than 500.00 for 5 tires mounted and balanced, along with having them move my original spare to a different rim ( so 6 tires were actually mounted and balanced). I decided I wanted 2 spares for the trailer vs 1. While I had the the wheels off I checked the brake shoes and repacked the bearings.post-1978-0-15343400-1419174679_thumb.jp

post-1978-0-89330800-1419174701_thumb.jp

The bearings were definately in need of repacking!!! The front axle more so than the back (thinking the back axle or at least the spindles had been changed at some point as they have a zerk fitting and the fronts do not, also they were full of blue grease and the fronts were mostly dried up red grease)

post-1978-0-55057300-1419174720_thumb.jp

New fender skirts are being made out of fiberglass since the one got shreded with the blowout and the good one is being used for a mold :thumb1:

• Staff

First I have heard of that tire brand. Made in China?

Not many LRE options on a 15" wheel so that is nice. Do you know if your wheels/stems are rated for 80 psi?

I only have 1/6 that is rated for 80, so I would have to buy almost all new rims to take advantage of the LRE. If I'm going to buy new rims I am switching to 16's and a LT tire to get away from the ST designation and 65mph limit.