• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

bigger turbo?

Noticed pulling the trailer the other day that it was easy to get into the 1200 degree range on the egt's. Would a little bigger turbo like a gen 3 or 4 help with dropping the egt's a little.

Have the comp on 5X3, have not played with it at all. Boost is in the 25-30 range.

New to this diesel power stuff.   lol

Soon to add RV 275's

Edited by SNKEBIT

I believe 1200 is safe and anything higher than 1200 for a duration of time can lead to trouble. The "super b" style turbo is supposed to be a great towing turbo, handle up to 425 HP, will hit 1200 but won't got over, the HE351 from 3rd gens are supposed to be similar performance wise. There are a couple threads on injectors and turbo swaps, only about a month old where we were just talking about this.

• Owner

Huh? Stock injectors. Your fine yet for turbo even with the RV275's you still fine. Even with my +50HP injectors its still very controllable for EGT's. The problem is that people try to tow at the same speed as a empty truck. This where things go wrong. You need to gear down and slow down a bit on grades. Even out here in Idaho I tow most grades in 4th gear (5 speed) without any problems EGT's wise as long as I'm at my torque curve peek. (1,900 to 2,100 RPM's)

Huh? Stock injectors. Your fine yet for turbo even with the RV275's you still fine. Even with my +50HP injectors its still very controllable for EGT's. The problem is that people try to tow at the same speed as a empty truck. This where things go wrong. You need to gear down and slow down a bit on grades. Even out here in Idaho I tow most grades in 4th gear (5 speed) without any problems EGT's wise as long as I'm at my torque curve peek. (1,900 to 2,100 RPM's)

OK. So what if I don't want to tow at 45 mph? The reason I bought a diesel is to be able to tow at least the speed limit..... Now, you are telling me that I could have just kept my gas truck and roared the s#!t out of it at 45 mph? I have a 6 speed, 4th gear is about 35 mph????? 

There has to be a way to tow at highway speeds without the egts getting out of hand.

Not bashin, just asking questions. :)

I don't see a diesel pulling a trailer at grade doing speed limit... Do you see semi's pulling grade at speed limit? nope, did not think so!

...on top of that, gearing is most important.

That is not even a close comparison. The first semi I drove only had a 290hp Cummins in it. There is a thing called horse power to weight ratio. Even a 400hp semi at 80,000 pounds has one horse power per 200 pounds. My truck has 365 hp to the ground and I have a gross weight of about 17,000 pounds giving me about 46.5 pounds per horse power. With my truck I can tow my fifthwheel up a 6% grade here by my house at 60 mph in overdrive and pick up speed without the egts going wild. What Michael is saying is that with an eye on the egts you may not pull every hill at the speed limit. That has the POTENTIAL of saving you $1,000 or so if you don't expect to fly up every hill.

• Like 1

This ^^^

I could pull my old 5th wheel at any speed I wanted without OD ...... never get over 1200 generally ~900 to 1000 ...... but I had twin turbos and a built tranny.

Plus I got around 20 mpg on highway , 15 around city, 12 towing.

Its really all about balance and efficiency ........ I picked up MPG going with bigger injectors.

That is not even a close comparison. The first semi I drove only had a 290hp Cummins in it. There is a thing called horse power to weight ratio. Even a 400hp semi at 80,000 pounds has one horse power per 200 pounds. My truck has 365 hp to the ground and I have a gross weight of about 17,000 pounds giving me about 46.5 pounds per horse power. With my truck I can tow my fifthwheel up a 6% grade here by my house at 60 mph in overdrive and pick up speed without the egts going wild. What Michael is saying is that with an eye on the egts you may not pull every hill at the speed limit. That has the POTENTIAL of saving you $1,000 or so if you don't expect to fly up every hill.

I guess I should have been a little clearer in my original question. I understand you cant have the best of both worlds and I wasn't going for mpg towing, I just wanted to stay about the speed limit on a moderate hill and right now I can cook the exhaust with very little input to the throttle on flat ground. (with trailer)  So back to original question, would a little bigger turbo help with this issue?  lol  I agree with the above statement.  Sorry for questions, new to diesel turbo stuff. Rather ask a stupid question first instead of making big mistake.

BTW, all I would have to spend money on is a turbo, the rest of the materials, labor, etc. I can do in my shop.  :)

Edited by SNKEBIT

As stated earlier, 100 HP over stock injectors & a Super B or HE351CW turbo should do fine. Our injectors are kinda small for our setup, as is.

www.dieselautopower.com has combo kits for good deals. You will lose a tad of MPGs, but gain the performance you desire.

Ed

OK, What do you have on the truck for an air filter set up? Stock, aftermarket? Also, is there any kind of restriction in the exhaust that you can see? What kind of boost numbers are you seeing? Another possibility for you is a boost leak. When I have had one my EGTs become real difficult to maintain and the truck is smokier from the get go. Even in stock form there are some EGT issues, so in theory yes, a larger turbo can help. On your turbo, does the waste gate function? If not, then on a hard pull you can and will run into EGT issues.

You might just try dropping a gear whenever you need to accelerate or pull the hill. I dont think its recommended to pull in 6th anyway. I usually have no problem pulling anything up grades in 5th with my truck. That includes my camper on every pass in Montana. Did all of them at 65 easy and kept egts around 1000-1100 degrees.

Are you running the HX35 or the HY35 the HX35 has a rubber hose going to the waist gate and the HY35 has a steel line. looking at your sig it should be the HX35 with the rubber hose something you can try without any tuners ie edge comp, smarty... plug off the waist gate port with an 1/8"npt plug. This will give you more boost and help lower EGT's assuming you don't have a boost leak and your waist gate isn't stuck open. Something you can check on the waist gate is the amount of pressure it takes to open the waist gate. I have check several with a presure regulator and a piece of hose if it is opening with less than 20psi its bad. If you add any kind of tuners then you will want to get a boost elbow and set it to open at 30-35psi max on the HX35.

just my :2cents: