• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ok my 01 has developed a howling noise (think wind blowing). I'm 99% sure it the turbo because its from the passenger side of the truck and the noise continues for the 3-5 seconds after I kill the engine. I have read that it could be the waste gate stuck close, and I've checked the manifold bolts, some were maybe a half turn loose but still no change in the sound. I've checked the plumbing going to the intercooler and to the intake, all the clamps are tight. Unfortunatley I dont have a boost gauge so I cant tell if the psi has changed. I'm out of ideas. Not sure if its coincidence or not but the noise first appeared after my brother borrowed the truck and ran it low on oil. Not sure how low but low enough to not register on the dip stick.

Take the tube off of the front of the turbo and reach inside the front of the turbo and see if you can wiggle the turbo veins.

If they move more that about 1/32nd of an inch It may be time for a new turbo... :(

• Owner

Take the tube off of the front of the turbo and reach inside the front of the turbo and see if you can wiggle the turbo veins.

If they move more that about 1/32nd of an inch It may be time for a new turbo... :(

He's right on the the mark but here is the diagnostic...

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/24-air-system/122-turbo-inspection