Ok my 01 has developed a howling noise (think wind blowing). I'm 99% sure it the turbo because its from the passenger side of the truck and the noise continues for the 3-5 seconds after I kill the engine. I have read that it could be the waste gate stuck close, and I've checked the manifold bolts, some were maybe a half turn loose but still no change in the sound. I've checked the plumbing going to the intercooler and to the intake, all the clamps are tight. Unfortunatley I dont have a boost gauge so I cant tell if the psi has changed. I'm out of ideas. Not sure if its coincidence or not but the noise first appeared after my brother borrowed the truck and ran it low on oil. Not sure how low but low enough to not register on the dip stick.

Take the tube off of the front of the turbo and reach inside the front of the turbo and see if you can wiggle the turbo veins.

If they move more that about 1/32nd of an inch It may be time for a new turbo... :(

• Administrator

Take the tube off of the front of the turbo and reach inside the front of the turbo and see if you can wiggle the turbo veins.

If they move more that about 1/32nd of an inch It may be time for a new turbo... :(

He's right on the the mark but here is the diagnostic...

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/24-air-system/122-turbo-inspection

• Administrator

Could it just be the turbo winding down after shutdown? In that case there is no problem!

Possibly too but it never hurts to inspect everything to fine out there is nothing wrong. At least then you can rest assured that everything is just a OK...

• Like 1

Advertisements and Ad Blockers

Mopar1973Man.Com uses the income from advertisers to pay the bills on the website. Please whitelist your ad blockers for Mopar1973Man.Com this will allow advertisements to display on our pages but allows you to still block ads on the other websites you visit. 

image.png

I will whitelist Mopar1973Man.Com