• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My new little "hobby"

hex0rz

As some of you may know, I got really interested in the beekeeping thing. Been working harder than a one-legged man in an rear kicking contest. I made all my own equipment for the bees and have been working on the equipment every chance I got. I had to have a bare minimum ready for my bees before I received them. I got everything done except the top lids, but the bee place had a couple they let me borrow for the time being.

I received two nucleus colonies from them and did not get them home until that evening. They had quite the transport to undergo and I know it ticked them off really well! I had to run a couple errands before I went back home, as the bees were about an hour away from home, picking them up.

So I was in a best buy, in the checkout line and I felt something crawling on my neck. Not once did I stop to think it could have been a bee. Instinctively swatted at it and lo and behold, a bee goes flying to the ground. Then I start getting the sudden burn. Yep, I got stung! Tried to rub the stinger out with my hood of my sweatshirt. Even asked the lady behind me if she could see a stinger in me. I bet that was a little weird, lol!

So the wife was waiting out at the truck and get out to her and told her I got stung in the neck! I get in the truck and sit for a few minutes to see if anything is going to happen. Last I know of, I have not been stung since I was like 10!

A few minutes pass by and I started feeling funny. Throat started feeling like it was a little hard to swallow and got dizzy and shaky. I knew my BP was starting to drop. But it suddenly stopped. Did not want to take a chance and went the direction of a store to get benadryl. Was coherent enough to still look up Anaphylaxis and know what the symptoms were. My symptoms stopped and I was a little cold feeling. Decided that since it was not getting any worse, I was just by the local fire dept. and decided to go see them and have them check me out. Well, we just so happened to be passing by a grocery store and a firetruck was there. Stopped in there and told them I got stung and needed a vitals check.

I checked out fine and they said I should be good as I would have been real bad by the time I got to them. I think what happened was that I got a good adrenaline pump going and also psyched myself out with the whole situation, that I made it worse. My pulse was in the 80's with an elevated blood pressure.

So, while I was at the store, I picked up some benadryl, but unfortunately, all they had was liqui-gel capsules. Took 2 capsules and felt like I had a strong drink! Needless to say, the wife drove us home...

Got the nucs home after the rough ride home and got them on the hive stand. Had to open up their little entrance for the nuc box and they were MAD! One nuc was okay but the other started boiling out on me before I could get the door opened all the way! Whew! Got them open and just walked off. Had guard bees following me all the way back to the house.

The following day, it was nice out and got their new homes ready for them. Took the parts out and did the transfer into their new hives. That was Sunday. So far, today, they are doing really well and very active. Usually you have to reduce the entrance down to help them in defending their hive. Well, I had to remove it last night as it was just making too much of a traffic jam for them.

The dandelions have been a big thing this year, and I'm happy to see these "weeds" all over! The bees need that early year pollen and nectar to build up! We do have a few other things blooming now as well and I have been snapping pics as I can. I have to do my first inspection this weekend since the install, so I will get an idea of how they are doing. I can also definitely tell that the two hive are different in attitude. One is much more active and a little more aggressive than the other. They are italians, but I suspect there may be a little cross-genetics going on as the place I bought the bees from overwinters their 3k hives in the southern areas of the US. So they may have a little africanized traits in them.

Heres some pics for enjoyment! I have a video to upload as well, but have not got around to it. I'm trying to figure out how I could compress the video down more. Its a 4gb file on my phone! :wow:

0515141110_zps2f07be5c.jpg

0511141340b_zpsb176995f.jpg

0511142034_zps8241738f.jpg

2014-05-11-21-22-18_zpsd87dc884.jpg

2014-05-11-21-16-24_zps93521f17.jpg

2014-05-11-21-18-34_zps9b8065d5.jpg

2014-05-11-19-57-34_zpsffe5469c.jpg

0514141410c_zps55f0e546.jpg

I too am lookig into bees. Not for commercial use tho. I saw a video on YouTube that claims that 1/100 people in the population are allergic to bee stings. And 1/10 family members of bee keepers are allergic to bee stings. Has something to do with exposure to the bees, but never being stung. From his perspective it's best for everyone in the family to be stung under controlled conditions to build up immunity.

Look at Wyatt A Mangum phD book on top bar hive beekeeping. Awesome book even if you are not using top bar hives.

Make sure you have a swarm trap located near your hives to capture a swarm should they leave the hive. Could save you a hundred dollar bill. If you're using regular bee hives, make one out of a nuc box. Look on the internet if you need instructions.

Back in the day of DMSO my ex wife was stung. She used some of her dad's magic DMSO on the sting. Ooooops. That stuff works by carrying things into your blood stream. She went into shock almost immediately. Almost kilt her.

Edited by joecool911
  • Like 1

You might want to keep a   loaded   hypodermic   'just in case'.   I keep one   in  the  hay field  tractor's   first aid kit.

epinephrine,  and  antihistamine

I've been stung  so many times over the years,  (mostly yellow jackets and  wasps)  that  each time,  it  gets worse..    30 miles  to a  medical clinic  may bee   (ha ha)  too late!

Last time  was  a nightmare,  I  was mowing, and  I mowed  over a  yellow jacket  ground nest,  the  dang things  boiled out of the ground like a  tornado...  and  right  through my open window,  well,   all I could do  was  bail out and  run  

I'm afraid  a  blast  in the  neck or  head  could swell me up  and  make  breathing  a little  difficult...  I think the  worst I ever  had  was  a  honey bee  was   inside a open can of  Mountain dew,  and  I  took a  slug,  and  he  got me right on the tip of the tongue...

I  always  look  down in the can now!

• Like 1

I react badly to certain bee stings...  found out of at outdoor shooting event!  I carried a kit for years but never used it.  My kit has a syringe (eppy) & chewable anti-histamines.  When I was out riding (my horse) I carried Benadryl & water...  I found if I started AH as soon as it was safe, I did not need further treatment...  though a couple of times I went & sat in ER waiting room (having taken AH) but didn't officially check in so no charge. 

At home we keep the liquid Benadryl as it takes effect faster. 

When riding in a group I always got to ride first...  sit tall in the saddle, Cowboy!  (To take down cobwebs for the riders behind you.)  A lot of times the first rider would stir up ground nesting yellow jackets...  second & subsequent riders got it worse (usually).  I got trapped on a narrow trail behind some doofus who would not move so that was why I was moved to the front.  After that, anyone spots bees was the cue to give the horse their head...  going to outrun them!  I remember running Nick for more than a half mile & he was still an unhappy horse.  We both got stung plenty...  I got off to pick the bees, nasty little yellow jackets off his mane, body & under his saddle blanket.  They were still trying to sting as I was picking them off & stepping on them.  Yes, Benadryl cocktails all around.  That ended that ride as I had to head for home in case I needed evacuation.        

• Like 1

I used to swell up a lot when I was younger, but the last couple of times I got stung all I got was a small spot that swelled and just itched. Maybe I am 'out growing' the anaphylaxis? On the other hand my deceased Brother in Law was so sensitive that even with an Eppy Pen he had at best about 20 minutes to get into an ER.

I have no problem with  good natured  tame  honey bees...  they  are  very valuable, not only for the  honey,  but  the pollination they help out with.

It's when they  start to  get a little  Africanized   it's time  to   'bug out'   (burn em,  and  start over)

I  never heard of  the  helicopter  insurance!    I may have to look into that!  Thanks

How  does  it  work,  you  hit  an emergency  number,  and   a  chopper  shows up to your   phones  location?

• Owner

I  never heard of  the  helicopter  insurance!    I may have to look into that!  Thanks

How  does  it  work,  you  hit  an emergency  number,  and   a  chopper  shows up to your   phones  location?

Out here its called "Life Flight membership" if  you have a medical emergency and life flight is needed then it won't cost you anything if your a member. All they need is dispatcher or a EMS tech to call for it give GPS location and they will come. Even then with country we got they might require EMS to truck you several miles to a LZ for Life Flight to use.

Not going to helicopter you out of the forest...  not going to abandon the horse either.  Once yer back on the pavement, not much of an issue.  I didn't know I was allergic until that shoot...  an hour later the swelling had spread from the sting at my elbow to my shoulder & chest.  By the time I got t the ER (second hour), my throat was beginning to close.  Had I taken the Antihistamine right away, probablt would not have progressed so far.  Being shot full of Eppy is not much fun either...  up & wired all night! 

I recall a ride into the management area with a group of friends.  Over an hour later, the sky opened up & we broke out our ponchos & rain slickers.  One gal...  her horse wouldn't let her put the poncho on.  She got off, put it on & got on again.  About a minute later her (damned) Appy freaked.  Bolted through the dozen horses & out of sight around a bend...  we heard a horrible noise of breaking branches.  Then the Appy was back...  without her.  I bailed off & caught the loose horse, other riders went looking for her.   There was a hole in the woods like a Roadrunner / Wiley cartoon.  & Carol was limping back onto the trail, holding her head with one hand & her back with the other.  Despite the rain, she took off the poncho & threw it in the woods.

In those days before cell phones...  and a few miles behind locked gates...  getting a Rescue in there was impossible.  Either we had to self Rescue or the EMTs would have to stretcher her out.  (And to get outside assistance, someone would have to ride out & take a vehicle to the nearest civilization with a phone.  We did come up with a plan where 2 riders could go out, one stay with the 2 horses & the other drive out to get help.  The injured person decided herself to not go with that plan.  Of course the ride was turned around & re-routed to the parking by the most direct route.)  She walked a bit & decided to get back up with help.  We lead her horse as a slow walk to reduce jarring...  for a while she was asking how bad her face looked...  didn't look too bad at first.  After her eye was mostly swollen closed, she stopped asking.  We had all parked at an entrance just off the paved road.  Her fiancée trailered the horses home, turned them out while she sat in the truck...  took her to the ER.  The worse damage was a broken eye socket & broken tail bone, assorted cuts & bruises.  She was a long time...  months...  recovering.  

I guess showing up at the ER in riding clothes & smelling of horse is better than explaining that the fiancée didn't do this to her. 

Edited by flagmanruss

You might want to hook up with LiveOak here or go over to www.tractorfarmandfamily.com and talk to TFFAdmin either way you'll find Randy he's also a beekeeper as well.

Thanks for the heads up. Did not know LO was a beek, too! I'm registered on beesource. Lots of veterans on there and have alot of wisdom.

I too am lookig into bees. Not for commercial use tho. I saw a video on YouTube that claims that 1/100 people in the population are allergic to bee stings. And 1/10 family members of bee keepers are allergic to bee stings. Has something to do with exposure to the bees, but never being stung. From his perspective it's best for everyone in the family to be stung under controlled conditions to build up immunity.

Look at Wyatt A Mangum phD book on top bar hive beekeeping. Awesome book even if you are not using top bar hives.

Make sure you have a swarm trap located near your hives to capture a swarm should they leave the hive. Could save you a hundred dollar bill. If you're using regular bee hives, make one out of a nuc box. Look on the internet if you need instructions.

Back in the day of DMSO my ex wife was stung. She used some of her dad's magic DMSO on the sting. Ooooops. That stuff works by carrying things into your blood stream. She went into shock almost immediately. Almost kilt her.

I have watched and read an article on bee venom exposure. I think IMHO it has to do with stingers being stuck in the clothing and the stinger pumping still but pumping into nothing except the clothing absorbing the venom. There was a discussion on the idea of a periodic sting such as you suggested. Had to do with different types of antibodies that trigger the inflammatory response and the other that marks the venom as normal.

I have looked into TBH, and still kicking the idea around about it and even found a good build article that uses 55gal poly barrels cut in half to make them.

I will have nuc boxes ready for splits, etc. The goal is to never let them get to the point of swarming, though.

You might want to keep a   loaded   hypodermic   'just in case'.   I keep one   in  the  hay field  tractor's   first aid kit.

epinephrine,  and  antihistamine

I've been stung  so many times over the years,  (mostly yellow jackets and  wasps)  that  each time,  it  gets worse..    30 miles  to a  medical clinic  may bee   (ha ha)  too late!

Last time  was  a nightmare,  I  was mowing, and  I mowed  over a  yellow jacket  ground nest,  the  dang things  boiled out of the ground like a  tornado...  and  right  through my open window,  well,   all I could do  was  bail out and  run  

I'm afraid  a  blast  in the  neck or  head  could swell me up  and  make  breathing  a little  difficult...  I think the  worst I ever  had  was  a  honey bee  was   inside a open can of  Mountain dew,  and  I  took a  slug,  and  he  got me right on the tip of the tongue...

I  always  look  down in the can now!

I've got 4 bottles of liquid benadryl for me and the wife, and we have an appt. with the family doctor to see to get the epi-pens prescribed to us.

I used to swell up a lot when I was younger, but the last couple of times I got stung all I got was a small spot that swelled and just itched. Maybe I am 'out growing' the anaphylaxis? On the other hand my deceased Brother in Law was so sensitive that even with an Eppy Pen he had at best about 20 minutes to get into an ER.

From what I understand, some people, it gets worse for them, and others it gets better. I hope me and the wife are both the ones that fall in the latter category, lol!

I have no problem with  good natured  tame  honey bees...  they  are  very valuable, not only for the  honey,  but  the pollination they help out with.

It's when they  start to  get a little  Africanized   it's time  to   'bug out'   (burn em,  and  start over)

Actually, the africanized bees are becoming popular to those down south. The africanized bees are the only bees the people use in south america. People are finding out that the africanized are the best bee to keep. The only problem is their apt to get defensive very quickly. I would keep the africanized if they were not so defensive. Very productive bee!

Out here its called "Life Flight membership" if  you have a medical emergency and life flight is needed then it won't cost you anything if your a member. All they need is dispatcher or a EMS tech to call for it give GPS location and they will come. Even then with country we got they might require EMS to truck you several miles to a LZ for Life Flight to use.

:thumb1:  We just recently acquired life flight in the area at the local airport. Closest it was before, was Spokane. Lewiston is the closest to you, IIRC, Mike. I will say though, anyone can land the chopper, provided you go through their course, first. Give them the GPS coordinates of the LZ and they'll come. Life flight membership is $150 for 2 years and it covers everyone in the household! :hyper:  I talked to a flight nurse when I was running with the dept. and they made a presence for the annual mock DUI at the local HS and she was telling us about some pretty crazy stories about what kind of weather they have flown in and some crazy landings they have made! They are some brave people!

Not going to helicopter you out of the forest...  not going to abandon the horse either.  Once yer back on the pavement, not much of an issue.  I didn't know I was allergic until that shoot...  an hour later the swelling had spread from the sting at my elbow to my shoulder & chest.  By the time I got t the ER (second hour), my throat was beginning to close.  Had I taken the Antihistamine right away, probablt would not have progressed so far.  Being shot full of Eppy is not much fun either...  up & wired all night! 

I recall a ride into the management area with a group of friends.  Over an hour later, the sky opened up & we broke out our ponchos & rain slickers.  One gal...  her horse wouldn't let her put the poncho on.  She got off, put it on & got on again.  About a minute later her (damned) Appy freaked.  Bolted through the dozen horses & out of sight around a bend...  we heard a horrible noise of breaking branches.  Then the Appy was back...  without her.  I bailed off & caught the loose horse, other riders went looking for her.   There was a hole in the woods like a Roadrunner / Wiley cartoon.  & Carol was limping back onto the trail, holding her head with one hand & her back with the other.  Despite the rain, she took off the poncho & threw it in the woods.

In those days before cell phones...  and a few miles behind locked gates...  getting a Rescue in there was impossible.  Either we had to self Rescue or the EMTs would have to stretcher her out.  (And to get outside assistance, someone would have to ride out & take a vehicle to the nearest civilization with a phone.  We did come up with a plan where 2 riders could go out, one stay with the 2 horses & the other drive out to get help.  The injured person decided herself to not go with that plan.  Of course the ride was turned around & re-routed to the parking by the most direct route.)  She walked a bit & decided to get back up with help.  We lead her horse as a slow walk to reduce jarring...  for a while she was asking how bad her face looked...  didn't look too bad at first.  After her eye was mostly swollen closed, she stopped asking.  We had all parked at an entrance just off the paved road.  Her fiancée trailered the horses home, turned them out while she sat in the truck...  took her to the ER.  The worse damage was a broken eye socket & broken tail bone, assorted cuts & bruises.  She was a long time...  months...  recovering.  

I guess showing up at the ER in riding clothes & smelling of horse is better than explaining that the fiancée didn't do this to her. 

EEK! Yea, I like to try and have some sort of pre-incident planning before I make the trek out to the middle of nowhere. One reason why it would be very important to have a life flight membership type of thing going for you in your area if you do the sort of thing...

On a side note, I have not been able to get around to doing the first inspection since a week later from the nuc install. The weather liars lied again! Had thunder from a distance, wind shifted and started blowing from the north and then we got POURED on! I dunno if the bees are going to go back out and forage before dark. Its stopped raining but may be too cold for them. Might have to wait until tomorrow to do an inspection as I'm sure they would not be happy if I opened their hive up!

Edited by hex0rz

Mike:

https://www.lifeflight.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=70

https://www.lifeflight.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60&Itemid=207

https://www.lifeflight.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=78&Itemid=196

LFN can be requested by anyone in the reciprocal network and can even be landed by anyone with the proper training they provide.

...just so you know. :)