• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Loss of Acceleration (DEAD PEDAL?)

First time to post – Amateur Cummins owner.   My truck is 2001 2500 4WD Quadcab 5 speed – 4 inch MBRP exhaust with Donaldson muffler is only changes.  Truck has 115,000 miles.  I was driving in the PM (warm day) and the vehicle lost acceleration while pulling a hill in 5 gear (nothing in tow).  I pulled over and the truck never went dead. Once stopped I was able to change into 1st and pull away with no other issues.  The truck did something similar one other time in the past with same circumstances (traveling up hill in 5th gear) but did not have to pull over that time.  I pulled the codes out when I got home and found the following P1693, P0216.  I have been told the VP44 was the problem and would require replacement.  I have read around on this site and other forums.  I would appreciate any advice you would be willing to share.  I read something about alternator???  Thanks in advance for your time and any direction you may have!

** I do have a fuel pressure gauge and pressure was 15 psi when the issue occurred..

Your alternator is not the cause of the dead pedal. The P0216 tells me that your VP44 is having trouble with the timing piston meaning you are going to be replacing it. Not a matter of if, but a matter of when. The P1693 is a companion code meaning there is a code stored in the ECM or PCM and not much to worry about. Your dead pedal could also be from the APPS failing on your truck.

I just replaced the vp 44 on my 02 with one from Diesel auto power , it has all new electronics,rebuilt  by Industial InInjection.They also include a new return valve.They are a  very  reputable supplier.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE and a little advise requested. After a great deal of diagnostic time I have gotten Dead Pedal resolved. Ultimately you guys were spot on, VP44 was failing. I did something that I am starting to regret now.  In the process of changing the injector pump & lift pump I convinced myself that it would be a good time to improve my injectors...  Needless to say, I did and now I have ticking noise at idle. The truck runs well but the ticking or knocking at idle is worrisome.  The truck has just over 115,000 miles. I am going to adjust the valve lash now.   Do you think that could be the problem? Bad injector? Any ideas where this ticking/knocking noise would come from after injector replacement? 

Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated!!

• Owner

When installing the injectors did you tight the injector hold down first or did you tighten the crossover tube first? Correct answer is to seat the crossover tube first then tighten the injector cap then return back and tighten the cross over tube completely. Really common to get a high pressure fuel leak in the return rail creating weird issues because of tightening the injector cap first.