• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VP44 factory lift pump?

Anyone know the factory spec's for the lift pump on a 2000 5.9 24 valve? Would like to know what cummins has to say on the pressure.

I will be adding a aftermarket lift pump. But would like to know what the factory specs are also.

Pete

• Staff

Pete you came to the right place for questions.

This site can help you mod your truck for reliability to last well into retirement.

Make sure the new lift pump is capable of maintaining at least 14 psi at WOT/ heavy hauling so the VP is getting max cooling.

Do a search on why adding two stroke oil to every tank is most important.

Welcome to the site 

Thanks guys hope to order a new pump this week. And get it on the truck next week, as we leave Thursday for a few days not going far but will find out what the Fuel pressure is pulling the RV Thursday. Its holding 12 lb at idle now and will be putting a new fuel/ water filter on it tomorrow. 

Pete

welcome to the site Pete.

As for a lift pump don't buy any of the factory replacement lift pumps. They will fail the only question is when as for the fuel pressure they don't usually have the ability to supply the VP with enough fuel to keep the electronics cooled.

As a recommendation I would buy a FASS or something of that type. here is a link that I would recommend FASS

Stay away from any of the Airdog or Rapture pumps. They have not had a great amount of success over the last few years.

Like stated above add 1 ounce of 2cycle oil for every gallon of fuel you put in your truck and that will help prolong the life of the VP also.

• Like 1

welcome to the site Pete.

As for a lift pump don't buy any of the factory replacement lift pumps. They will fail the only question is when as for the fuel pressure they don't usually have the ability to supply the VP with enough fuel to keep the electronics cooled.

As a recommendation I would buy a FASS or something of that type. here is a link that I would recommend FASS

Stay away from any of the Airdog or Rapture pumps. They have not had a great amount of success over the last few years.

Like stated above add 1 ounce of 2cycle oil for every gallon of fuel you put in your truck and that will help prolong the life of the VP also.

What kind of problems w the AirDog Raptors?

Edited by Dave3500

Of the ones I have had to deal with most were blown pump seals. They were replaced under warrant but if they go too far the fuel will get I to the windings and cause the motor to lock-up. I've also seen issues with the adjustable pressure regulator on them. Some cases they spike to 30+lb others drop off to less than 10lb all of a sudden. These are just my experiences with them. There are several threads over on the CF forum about them also.

• Like 2

• Owner

It was shortly after Pureflow changed hands that things started to change and go down hill. Like the custom fuel system which was a roll of hose and a bag of JIC push lock fittings. This was done away with for new improved quick connect system that forced a owner to mounting in one place. Then the motors got cheaper and cheaper with seal leaks and burning up. Then the last one I seen is the mounting brackets are no longer steel but a plastic. Sorry to say AirDog/Raptor quality when down hill and still not turning around anytime soon that I've seen.

• Like 2

It was shortly after Pureflow changed hands that things started to change and go down hill. Like the custom fuel system which was a roll of hose and a bag of JIC push lock fittings. This was done away with for new improved quick connect system that forced a owner to mounting in one place. Then the motors got cheaper and cheaper with seal leaks and burning up. Then the last one I seen is the mounting brackets are no longer steel but a plastic. Sorry to say AirDog/Raptor quality when down hill and still not turning around anytime soon that I've seen.

I've got the quick connect system. So my warning signs are the changes in fuel pressure? I got my system because it was what the guys were using on here, still has to be better than my old Carter replacement!

• Staff

The factory lift pump on the frame with big line kit all the way will hold about 14 all the time. I carry a factory lift pump in the tool box just for back up because I have one of the Raptor pumps.

A big line kit makes a huge difference and the pump doesn't work so hard. My fuel line is set up with the right threaded adapters to accept the factory pump if needed.

• Like 1

• Staff

Yep it works good doesn't it. Glad I learned early about a fuel pressure gauge. I think I had two fail in about 40 or 50 thousand miles.

Edited by JAG1

You might also consider a mechanical lift pump, too. Such as the Assassin or Fuel boss.

I'll second the nomination for the Fuel Boss.  I installed one in my truck last month; an upgrade from the stock lift pump that I had.  I was seeing pressures anywhere from 4-11 PSI with the original set up, but with my mechanical pump I sit solid at 16-17 PSI.  The install was easy and not a whole lot to go wrong with the system--No electronics to fail.

• 2 weeks later...

Pulling this

home.jpg13 t0 12 idle and 9 to 10 lb pulling hard. So guess the 1/2" line all the way to the factory pump is helping it out. But will still be adding a new pump ASAP. Fun part is mine is easy to changepost-2387-0-90845900-1402079017_thumb.jp out. As I can see all of mine and its right out in the open on my truck.