• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trying to decide on what tires to buy...

I'm liking the tread design on Nito Teragrapplers & Goodyear Wrangler Adventure "AT" vs  Armortrac.   Realistically I'm on road but sometimes the rural roads leave a lot to be desired in terms of snow removal. 

Edited by flagmanruss

I'm liking the tread design on Nito Teragrapplers & Goodyear Wrangler Adventure "AT" vs  Armortrac.   Realistically I'm on road but sometimes the rural roads leave a lot to be desired in terms of snow removal. 

Tire Rack has nice reviews of General Grabber AT2's.  At a real nice price also.

Man am I bummed out!  I just saw these Wrangler ATS...  really like the tread design as an All Season/some snow...  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Wrangler-AT-S-Tire-P265-70R17-113S/2367880   But they don't have them in 16's to fit my truck.  These are a steal at this price.

Remember Russ;  you need an LT tire that's E rated for your truck.  That tire you linked is a P rated tire.

Ooops!  I was looking a E rated...  before I saw these.  KNEW it was too good to be true! 

Check out the tires in my above post.  I actually saw a set on a pickup today.  Nice looking tires.

Edited by dorkweed

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Adding onto this old thread.  I made it through last year's state inspection...  think I've stalled quite long enough.  Actually, I'm going to go to the CC after buying the Avenger this month. 

I'm seeing some circumfrence cracking that is unaccptable.

Almost all of my driving is on-road, we get rain & snow.  I thought the Michelin LTX AT that came on it (still on it) don't have very open tread.  To me, a tire that's going to be run in winter ought to be a realitively open tread...  but short of a mud tire.

I had a set of original Cooper Discoverers on a Ford Ranger 2.2 diesel (no turbo)...  tranny was unrepairable & the tires went on the wife's mini-van where they wore like iron.

265/75R16 all with E rating:

Goodyear Wrangler Adventure AT w/ Kevlar

Firestone Destination AT

General Grabber AT2

Cooper Discoverer AT3

I can't afford to make a mistake...  I'd be better served to make a 'safe' choice.  

It is difficult as reviews are mostly written by people who had problem...  and any product made by man can fail...   Sooo the second question is how does a maker stand behind their product if you are so unlucky as to have a problem.  

What would you base a selection on?  If there a AT tire you'd add?  Any of these you'd cross off? 

Last year I put a set of Toyo Open Countys on my DRW.  I was nervous about driving a duelly on wet and slick roads thinking that the wider profile on each side could equate to less control.  However, I never notice any issues.  The attached picture was what I found and drove home in after work one night last December.  The roads were snowpacked and the state plows couldn't keep up with the downfall.  I passed by several rigs that had run off the road but I never felt the tires spin or a loss of control.  I am certainly not bragging about my mad winter-driving skills, but I was really impressed about the traction that these tires give me.    Not sure if this helps you are not, but this is my 2 cents worth.

post-1984-0-54539400-1411674018_thumb.jp

My last set of tires were the Cooper discoverer AT/3's and they did well for me in the winter. Quite a few times I drove to or from work when the roads had an inch or more of snow on them and I only put the truck in 4wd for a couple curvy hills just to make me feel better. I got the Nitto terra grapplers now and they seem like a nice tire but I've only had them a couple months so I haven't seen any snow with them yet.

I'll throw my piece in. I chose to go with the Hankook A/T's. They are the best tire I have ever had. I have over 30k on them and they still look brand new. They ran great in the snow and ice up in ND last year. They are really stable and ride nice and smooth and quiet. They do come with a 60k warranty but my cousin (runs the tire shop I got them at) showed me a couple sets that came back with over 75k miles that still had plenty of life left in them (20-30%).

post-879-0-96675500-1411890497_thumb.jpg

I bought a set of Nitto Tera Grapplers last year about this time. I was very impressed with the traction in snow and ice. worst winter here since late 70's so it was a good test.

The Adventure AT would also be a good choice. I ran the Pro Grade which was replaced by the Adventure and got many years of service out of them and they also have the mountain snow flake rating.

• Like 1

i have the cooper at3 on my toyota, love them thus far.

the Nittos are made by toyo so i'd expect similar wear results.

my truck has goodyear wrenglers and thus far im not happy about the wear. i think it's been to fast.

i'll be buying toyos, or BFG A/T's, or the coopers when it's time.

• 1 month later...

Truck (and newest old trailer) are getting new treads as we speak.  I settled on Cooper AT3 in the optional tire size that came on it.  I know Coopers & had good luck in the past.  It has an open but chained tread which I hope will give a less noisy ride.  I saw thetires & they have much deeper tread than the original Michelins which still have 'legal' tread depth but sidewalls beginning to crack. 

I suspect the deeper tread depth will increase circumfrence...  and I'll have to watch the speed.   According to my GPS, the OEM rubber was dead on on the speedometer...  every other vehicle read 10% fast.  (Figured this out, when I drove the speed limit with wife following, she complained I was speeding when I held the posted limit.  

My Credit Card company will be very happy!       

do you tow much and drive dirt roads? i'm looking into hercules and or the cooper at3, as they are both made by cooper. i know the Goodyears i have now are about shot in under 30K .

I did notice the dirtroads kill these tires. i'm not happy with the way these wore out. i love the ride and lack of noise, but damn 35K and they are not rain or snow worthy.

I'm almost completely on pavement.  We do get rain and snow.  Occasionally events we go to have a few miles of dirt road while towing the toy hauler.  I got 60k out of the original tires...  might have been more but I think the tread got scuffed up when I had suspension problems.   

The sidewall deterioration from age was the final straw.

Edited by flagmanruss

Unfortunately no E rated tire will last very long on a gravel road especially if your doing any amount of towing. I have a friend who owns an oil field maintenance company and he has a handful of F350's and has been through the tire gauntlet for the same reason. His trucks see a high percentage of dirt roads/un maintained lease roads often towing a heavy load and he does not get good mileage out of his tires. He eventually quit buying the expensive name brand and started buying whatever cheap tire had the best sale or rebate at the time and changes em out about once a year.

I average about 20-22,000 miles/year on my truck.  Of those miles each year, I would say 3-4,000 of them, at least, are on gravel and dirt roads, boat ramps, barn lanes etc.   I can still easily get 70-80,000 miles from a set of tires.  And I know folks that would drive the tires that I change out another 10-15,000 miles!!!

Unfortunately no E rated tire will last very long on a gravel road especially if your doing any amount of towing. I have a friend who owns an oil field maintenance company and he has a handful of F350's and has been through the tire gauntlet for the same reason. His trucks see a high percentage of dirt roads/un maintained lease roads often towing a heavy load and he does not get good mileage out of his tires. He eventually quit buying the expensive name brand and started buying whatever cheap tire had the best sale or rebate at the time and changes em out about once a year.

Truth be told................much of that is due to the drivers of the vehicles!!!!  Cummins has a detailed study about that I've read before................................Michael, can you help here???