• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tips for shift kit install!

Keep everything CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN !!!!!!! Take pics of the disassembly to assist you in putting it back together. Lint free rags are a MUST !!!

Also, do the 2nd gear TC lockup mod while in there.

Ed

Hey Ed is there a write up on the 2nd gear lockup mod? What are the benefits?

2nd gear locked is a different animal, but you have to watch the 2-3 shift if you leave it locked.

I am working on momentrary lockup switch so that I can have one hand control the shift and the lockup.

Main reason I would want second block is while towing off Road on a steep grade to keep the torque converter lock to keep the transmission cool. I have an area I frequently which has a paved one lane 16% slope.

Edited by joecool911

Here is the info on 2nd gear lock-up. 

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-performance-parts-discussion/573451-2nd-gear-lockup-would-nice-can-done.html

It's a good mod if you want to do TC lock.

Thanks you very much for the info.  Can you give me an idea of what difference I will see in driveability? Will it cause any damage to the stock converter or transmission?

Did it makes a difference? Im been thinking about doing one when I do my next service

I would do it if I were you.  It's not like dropping in a $4000 performance tranny but you can tell a difference. Shifts are a lot tighter and hold longer.  You can't go wrong for under $100. I did it to try to get the most miles I can out of my stock transmission. Since it increases line pressure I hope it works.  You probably know more about it than I do but if I can help just let me know.

• Like 1

Where did you get the kit from?

I bought the shift kit from Ebay SK TFOD-Diesel kit. USA Industries was the seller.  I also bought a Borg Warner Governor Solenoid and a new pressure sensor from Cascade Transmission Parts.

• Like 1

Been busy for the last few months and haven't posted, but I'm seeing some good info here.  And not meaning to hijack this thread, I was wondering if this is safe for a stock trans? I have a 2002 with the 3.55 and tow a 27' 5th wheel that grosses out at 11K pounds. The truck has 110K miles on it and runs like a beast.  The trans is strong , I believe the original and likes to run the camper around 70 MPH.  The truck gets round 12-13 mpg towing the 5er which is amazing compared to my gas super Duty's 7-8 mpg on the same camper. Climbing grades the trans will stay locked up until I choose to let off and take it out of OD.  What I don't like is on steeper grades and at slower speeds the trans seems to be wanting to shift but wont or chooses to do it veeeeerrryyy slooooowly. I drive it gently when towing but  think this mod would go a long way for me.  

SO to recap:

I need to intall a dash lockup switch by jumping some wires and fill in some ports with jb weld as listed in the link and don't let it shift while locked and I'll be OK? I would love to hit the lockup switch and take out of OD on downgrades and actually have the truck slow down.  Will this help with that?

Thanks

Andrew

Edited by AGPTurbo