• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I finally isolated oil leak , seal between vacum pump and power steering pump is leaking, ordered parts. Has anybody done this without removing vacum pump, just removing steering pump? Just curious if it is possible. I don't have a problem taking both off,  just wondering if it is necessary. Thanks

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• 2 weeks later...

Pull the pump. Use the correct size plastic pipe and hammer to get the internals apart. Use a little black rtv between the pump and block. Applythe rtv with a gloved finger. Don't go wild and have it squishing all over.

You may need the braided oil line between the pump and block.

All went well, vacum pump in and out is the easy, putting seals in was easy, the hard part is lining up the powersteering pump and getting all back together. It would be easier if I would have removed pump with steering pump attached but its already been drained once in the last year and i only had to create one custom bent 15mm wrench. Clocking the steering pump is a PIA, only took 1/2 dozen times oh yea the spring fell off the seal, that was fun to put back on. Learn something every day. It does not leak anymore so it was a good experience and it only took 2.5 hrs. And Genos kit is great comes with DVD and a extra set of seals (lip and 2 0-rings). It's probabley overpriced considering what your replacing, but the DVD and all the PVC R&R tools make it worth the money to me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Larry b's kit has all that is needed except the timing case gskt. for $ 8.95.  The oring in the cummins kit is wrong for the early 3 pc pumps. Too small in circumference and to large in cross section. After stretched into place it will work, BUT you are not supposed to stretch an o-ring. Used it anyway.   The main lip of the seal is supposed to face the area you are trying to seal.  My seal lip was faceing the power steering pump. Not the vac pump.   The cummins forum shows step by step pictures and comments of how to install the seal.  The picture of the seal coming out has the dust side of the seal towards the vac pump. The comments on reinstall has the dust lip toward the o-ring end ( vac pump end). THAT IS WRONG!  Page 3 fig 7 of the cummins seal kit instructions says to install the dust lip down ( away from the o-ring end of the retainer) That is correct.  In conclusion, the spring side of the seal goes toward the vac pump.