• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Load distributing hitch bars?

Yes, it's all about tongue weight (hitch weight).  When I worked for a boat / trailer dealer, on of my jobs was to set up trailers for the boat (load).  Once the boat was positioned, we'd put a scale under the tongue.  If the weight was off, we'd loosen the U bolts & move the axle assemblies forward & backward. 

Now, with other trailers, the axles are pretty much not moveable but the loads are...   With a stock trailer, I had trouble with a light tongue weight with 2 horses in the rear.  I added weight to the front.  With camping gear in the front, I didn't need the ballast weight.

My present toy hauler the axles are quite a bit closer to the rear...  1/3 - 2/3.  I think I am over the cap of the weight distributing hitch bars because my 300# mobility scooter is less than the weight of 3 ATVs that there is tie downs for...  plus internal cabinetry has been gutted from the rear.  So I am tongue heavy.  I don't really like WD hitches.  I we have added ballast to the rear, re-arranged the load...  need more.  

Now, the amount of tongue weight your truck can handle depends on the tow vehicle...  so trailer mfg really don't know what will be used.  You might not need the WD hitch bars with a real truck to tow with...  or if you pack differently.     

• Like 1

So when the bars label says 550# is that one bar or for the set? When you recommend 1000# is that 2 500 bars or two 1000 bars?

I do notice that the ride is better with the bars. Especially bounce.

Edited by joecool911

• Owner

My 1200# bars state 1200# on the bars, so 600 each. I would assume that 550# bars are for 550# total TW. I haven't ever heard of bars being rated individually.

The porpoising is much better with a properly setup WDH.

It really does make a difference. I would consider going out first and weighting the truck and trailer and then get the proper bars for said weight. You can figure tongue weight from truck alone (rear axle weight) and truck and trailer (truck rear axle weight) just subtract the two and you should get the tongue weight.

• Like 1