• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine Block

Ok I got a quick question, am I seeing right I was looking for the number on my block (2000 dodge ram 2500) and the only one I could find was a 48 is this right also I looked at my second truck (2001 dodge ram 2500) and it had a 55 on it same spot driver side by a big wire harness . Are this good or bad thanks!

• Owner

53 block issues is rather hit and miss like the 5th gear nut problem... If you treat the truck right and let it warm up before putting it to serious work and take care of the coolant when needed... Most don't even see a problem with the 53 blocks cracking. I've even seen few of them used in racing applications and still holding up just fine... But since you don't have a 53 block no worries... Just enjoy the long life of your truck...:thumb1:

. Brazilian Blocks are cast by a company named "TUPY" and are marked such. They are identified with cast evolution numbers. #53's are TUPY's. #54 and later evolutions were improved to correct the block issues that the 53's had.

2. Mexican Blocks were made by "Teksid" these blocks to my knowledge never had a problem with cracking, as they are heavier duty by trait, but they did follow the evolutions and got thicker. These blocks do not have the 2 digit "cast number" embossed on the side, instead a series of numbers that are unidentifiable to me. The Mexican blocks were rumored to even be harder to machine do to a harder cast overall, basically better quality in my opinion.

Brazilian Tupys always seem to outnumber Mexican blocks during the ISB's production probably about 8 to 1. So basically if there is a pattern number its Brazilian, if there is a series of small numbers its Mexican.

By the way the Mexican equivalent of a 56 pattern was the Heaviest ISB block of all. This means if you have a 2002 without a #56 on it and instead it has a series of numbers that are smaller and hard to identify, you got the the big boy

Don't know if this will help you out for your search for info. Good luck!

• Like 2

. Brazilian Blocks are cast by a company named "TUPY" and are marked such. They are identified with cast evolution numbers. #53's are TUPY's. #54 and later evolutions were improved to correct the block issues that the 53's had.

2. Mexican Blocks were made by "Teksid" these blocks to my knowledge never had a problem with cracking, as they are heavier duty by trait, but they did follow the evolutions and got thicker. These blocks do not have the 2 digit "cast number" embossed on the side, instead a series of numbers that are unidentifiable to me. The Mexican blocks were rumored to even be harder to machine do to a harder cast overall, basically better quality in my opinion.

Brazilian Tupys always seem to outnumber Mexican blocks during the ISB's production probably about 8 to 1. So basically if there is a pattern number its Brazilian, if there is a series of small numbers its Mexican.

By the way the Mexican equivalent of a 56 pattern was the Heaviest ISB block of all. This means if you have a 2002 without a #56 on it and instead it has a series of numbers that are smaller and hard to identify, you got the the big boy

Thank you all for all the info it has given me a lot of knowledge .I will look at the motor a little more in the mourning thanks!

That was fast, I got the answer in a 1/2 hour, no Amigo engine in my rig :cool: Your ticket has been updated on the QuickServe Online HelpDesk! UPDATE DETAILS: The plant is now known as the Rocky Mount Engine plant located near Rocky Mount NC. And the plant is still in operation. Thank you for your inquiry. Regards, QuickServe Online Support You can check all ticket details by going to: https://quickserve.cummins.com/qshd/status.php?ticketid=33708 If this is a request for more information, please open your ticket with the link above, then select 'add response to this ticket', type the requested information, and click 'add a response'. We appreciate your cooperation. QuickServe Online Support Cummins Inc.

Cummins QSOL wrote me that my engine was made at the Columbus MidRange Engine Plant, located about five miles south of Columbus, Indiana. Don't know if that's good or not. I was hoping for an amigo motor. Guess I just need to get under the old girl and find out for sure if she's a 53 or not.

ooooh i hope i gots that one....i've yet to even check....but i guess this may kinda suck cause i was plannin on borin and strokin it in a few years....